Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

things to look for in buying second hand

Options
  • 23-04-2007 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

hi.
    I saw a 2001 skoda fabia 1.4 l comfort 43000 miles lady owner for 4700 euro.

just wondering what people here would make of this-does it sound too good to be true or would this be a fair price for it.

in the ad it also says "genuine miles"-would you be wary of such an assertion, surely the miles should be genuine without the need to point it out, no?

anyway i'm thinking of buying it.

i've a general idea about what I should be checking when buying a car but I was just wondering what people here think are the important questions to ask:

1) over the phone and 2) when viewing the car.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Firstly, when ringing about the car, never mention the car exactly, just start with "Hello, Im ringing about the car you have for sale" and dont offer any more embellishment on this. If the seller is a motor trader, with several cars for sale, then he will be wondering which car you are talking about. Works very well when ringing about ads in the Broken & Stolen:D

Never take anyones word for it that mileage is genuine. If there is a full documented service history, and written proof of mileage, such as recent nct reports, etc.. then thats fair enough. Otherwise, take these statements with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Bring someone with you when viewing the car (ideally a mechanic, or someone fairly car savvy - give him a few €€s for his trouble). Always ask in front of a witness whether the car was crashed/damaged. Any humming or hawing here in response to this question means its quite likely that something did happen. At this stage, I'd say my goodbyes and walk away - theres plenty of other cars out there.

Just a few points, Im sure others will give you plenty to think about too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Check there's a service history, no benefit in a lady owning it if the thing has never seen the inside of a garage since the day it left the showroom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

It sounds expensive for a 01 tbh, I'd say its worth 3500 euros tops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

junkyard wrote:
    It sounds expensive for a 01 tbh, I'd say its worth 3500 euros tops.

I thought it was very cheap tbh.. looking on carzone, I see most 2001 fabias going for atleast 6000 euro.

@gyppo, you say try to find out if they are a motor trader or not-I was of the impression that this didn't really matter and that many traders sell this way. what kind of problems would you envisage if they are.

overall can anyone tell me these cars are like- in terms of reliability, fuel economy etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I wouldn't go by the prices advertised on carzone or similar tbh, I deal in cars for a living by the way. Funnily enough Skodas are better than VW by a mile seem to be reliable enough and good on petrol too.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mkennedy wrote:
    I thought it was very cheap tbh.. looking on carzone, I see most 2001 fabias going for atleast 6000 euro.

Most "asking" prices on carzone are very optimistic indeed, alot of them are dealer inflated which include warranties and other overheads. And that is what they are "asking" prices. The price the car actually sells for can be totally different. Remember also it is a 6 year old car, I think imo a private seller should be willing to part with it for around €4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

mkennedy wrote:

@gyppo, you say try to find out if they are a motor trader or not-I was of the impression that this didn't really matter and that many traders sell this way. what kind of problems would you envisage if they are.

If you buy off a motor trader, you have much more legal protection than buying from a private individual. Motor traders trying to pass themselves as ordinary joe soaps might often have something to hide - just makes alarm bells ring imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

gyppo wrote:
    If you buy off a motor trader, you have much more legal protection than buying from a private individual. Motor traders trying to pass themselves as ordinary joe soaps might often have something to hide - just makes alarm bells ring imo.

thanks.
    so you'd trust motor traders selling in this way even less than private sellers, is it.

Advertisement