Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

leylandii - how to dispose

• 23-04-2007 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,
    I have an old hedge with about 30 very old, shapeless and tall leylandii trees which I want to get rid of. Does anyone know whether they can be sold or given away free for mulch or woodchip as I would imagine it would be very expensive to get a tree surgeon to cut them and remove them fully?

Regards,
    Bradaun.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,765 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think anyone getting rid of leylandii ought to be given a medal and free transportation. However I suspect neither of these things will happen. A lot depends on where you are, you would be better to ring the local council and see what they say. Even if they have a wood-chipping set-up you will probably have to get the trees there yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you have an open fire or a wood burner?
    If you chop the tree into manageable/trailerable size pieces people with woodburners will take it away to burn.
    Leylandii burns well and splits easy when fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Biggest problem with leylandii is the amount of the branches. The wood is good to burn but not so much of it relative to the branches.

You'll probably need to get them chipped or dare I say it, get them to a wide open space, let them die off, (will take months!) and burn them.

IMO These trees are really no more than weeds and shouldn't be planted at all in Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

I asked a tree surgeon and to remove three trees and dispose of all the stuff it would cost around 350 Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Darach

Mind if I ask which Tree surgeons offered 350 for 3 trees?
    I have 2 in the back, 1 in the front and I've been quoted 250 per tree just to have them topped back down to gutter level.
    thnx
    Darach

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

If you do get a tree surgeon to cut and chip the trees I would hang onto the material produced .... it makes a great mulch material for raised beds, hedges, etc etc ..... it smells good and healthy .... looks great and rem. bark cost anything from 5.00 to 8.00 yo yo's a bag .....

If you were close to me I would take it away for free .... :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

you'd probably buy a chainsaw, rent a large shredder and a skip and still have change.

250 per tree !!!! - the price to cut weeds these days :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Darach

tell me about it, I've been seriously considering the DIY option....have tackled the mid size trees with a step ladder and one of those one handed arced handsaws which worked out great, but the thought of carting a chainsaw up into a tree the height of the house and trying to avoid limb-loss, poking my eyes out and controlling the fall of branches so I don't smash the neighbours garden furniture to bits is a little less than appealing :)
    if I manage to lop the trees, there may be enough light falling on the garden to put the mulch to use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

karltimber wrote:
    you'd probably buy a chainsaw, rent a large shredder and a skip and still have change.

250 per tree !!!! - the price to cut weeds these days :rolleyes:

Well done for offering excellent advice on how to probably cause a potential serious accident. Suggesting to a novice to climb a tree with chainsaw etc and/or hire a large shredder is grossly irresponsible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,112 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd say a good portion of what a professional tree surgeon quotes goes on insurance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement