Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD take College Shotgun Match

Options
  • 23-04-2007 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I am delighted to announce that this weekend saw the return of the long forgotten UCD vs Trinity shotgun match, after a lengthy absence from the calendar.

DURC submitted two teams, with UCD having just the one. After a closely fought contest (that included a 20/20 from a UCD shooter), UCD took the title by a mere 7 birds.
    UCD will no doubt revel in yet another victory over DURC this year!

Many thanks to Hilltop Shooting Club for providing the venue. Special thanks to Kerry O'Brien for being an excellent host, and for helping everyone on the day.

What next for the colleges? The Air Rifle Colours will undoubtedly remain the highlight of the Collegiate calendar, but after the success of this weekend's shotgun match, I'm sure it will become a regular fixture also. Maybe even a full-bore steel challenge....

Brendan Doherty,
    Collegiate Officer,
    National Target Shooting Association of Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I look forward to seeing that Steel challenge - has to be one of the most spectator friendly shooting sports around.

I took part in one last weekend - brilliant craic

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Was it a trap event or a sporting event.

I went and did a proper 50 bird sporting event for the first time at the weekend. Pure class. Only got 32 out of 50 but for my first time I was well pleased. The final event, bolting rabbit with crossing bird destroyed my score, only got 4 out of 10 in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

32 out of 50 for a first go is quite impressive.

I don't think anyone has ever taken the 50 in the sporting clay layout in Hilltop - good few in the high 40s but no 50 yet.

I let the clays lapse over the winter - recently started a regular shoot with a few lads in hilltop - great craic - have got 30s but no 40s yet on the sporting. The Summer is not even here yet so plenty of time yet.

Tried the balltrap for the first time aswell - different challenge but again great craic.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Bananaman wrote:
    32 out of 50 for a first go is quite impressive.

I don't think anyone has ever taken the 50 in the sporting clay layout in Hilltop - good few in the high 40s but no 50 yet.

I let the clays lapse over the winter - recently started a regular shoot with a few lads in hilltop - great craic - have got 30s but no 40s yet on the sporting. The Summer is not even here yet so plenty of time yet.

Tried the balltrap for the first time aswell - different challenge but again great craic.

B'Man

Cheers, I've been shooting game for a few years and did the odd clay from my own cheapo trap but never a proper days clay shooting.

Really enjoyed the sporting clays. Wasn't really used to having to mount the gun but the guy instructing us Eddie Daily was a gentleman and was a great help.

Its something I wouldn't mind getting in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Fair Dues! Isnt it about time we get more of these competitions going,like they have in the UK?Like a Garda/Army/Civillian competition in say clay,pistol or rifle matchs?There are plenty of Gardai and Army lads that are on our side as well,and it would be a great PR boost and freindship builder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Working on it CG:D

Advertisement