Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car keyed

• 23-04-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Some scobe ran a key along 2 door panels of my corolla last week. not down to the metal, but the top coat is ruined. dark metallic green on a corolla. i'll get pics if and when i can

anyone got experience of fixing damage like this? any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Happened to an old black seat leon of mine a few years back. I was so pissed off but could not prove who did it. At the time there was a dispute over parking where i lived so i reckoned that was the reason behind it. Think it cost me about 400-500 euro or so to fix and looked as new after. It was keyed from front to back on the passanger side so i didnt notice it for a day or 2. I just cant live with exterior dammage on my car, always have to fix it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭Wossack

omega man wrote:
    Happened to an old black seat leon of mine a few years back. I was so pissed off but could not prove who did it. At the time there was a dispute over parking where i lived so i reckoned that was the reason behind it. Think it cost me about 400-500 euro or so to fix and looked as new after. It was keyed from front to back on the passanger side so i didnt notice it for a day or 2. I just cant live with exterior dammage on my car, always have to fix it!

similar thing happened my mothers car, presuming the same with a dispute over parking were she works. Upset her no end - fact there was 2 seperate incidents didnt help matters at all. Some absolute scum out there :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

@OP, carcraft (.ie) in Dublin are very good for that kind of stuff, and pretty reasonable on the €s to boot.

Got passenger A-pillar damaged on an MX5 from scobes who threw rocks at us (search it on Boards, and I also put pix up if I remember right), needed bodywork + paint done - not big/long, but very tricky spot on the car + limited edition, really difficult color (only 400 made in that colour). Good as new for €120.

The last scobe I caught doing anything like that (years back in UK), I trailed very quietly, then proceeded to total his own ride (every single panel down to metal + all tyres and windows done).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I can sympathise with ya, same happened to me twice last year. Thing is I found out who done it so they were paid back with interest ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I can't recommend CarCraft. I thought the finish was very dull. I would only use them for touch ups. One panel max.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've been with them before and they were great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

They did 6 panels and bonnet for me after my car was badly keyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭JAMM222

My car got keyed last night its horrible. Might go to car craft as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry to hear about ye getting keyed lads.

OP - where are you based?

I uses N&N Autobody in Moycullen, Co. Galway. Top notch work. 091-555201

ballooba wrote:
    I can't recommend CarCraft. I thought the finish was very dull. I would only use them for touch ups. One panel max.

A touch up is what the OP is after.

TBH, if I was looking at a job of 5 panels or more (as in, insurance job really), I'd be looking at sourcing spare panels from breakers rather than a respray - from experience, and irrespective of carcraft or anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

It doesnt sound like the damage is too bad, try some G3 compound on it first. You`ll get a tube of it from any motor factors for around 10 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

TBH, if I was looking at a job of 5 panels or more (as in, insurance job really), I'd be looking at sourcing spare panels from breakers rather than a respray - from experience, and irrespective of carcraft or anyone else.

........this makes no sense at all !

You would prefer to have second hand panels fitted to your car, which would most likely have to be repainted anyways, than to paint the orifginal panels on the car !

Not at all !

Drugs man........drugs !

double-post, meh!

MercMad wrote:
    ........this makes no sense at all !

You would prefer to have second hand panels fitted to your car, which would most likely have to be repainted anyways, than to paint the orifginal panels on the car !

Not in the least.

For a standard car (e.g. Toyota, Vauxhall, Ford) in a standard manufacturer color of a given age, if you're looking at a professional (full) respray of 5 panels or more, you won't see much of a money difference between the respray option and the sourcing of the same respective panels in the same manufacturer color of approximately the same year, after trade-in / discount value for your own panels.

Of course, the economic case for it varies from car to car. In my case, price differential of £125 in favour of the panel replacement, and worth it for a 9 year old Subaru (all panels replaced with same year or a year younger, dealer could not tell anything).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

thanks lads. i held off on doing anything until my brother has a look at it this weekend. sounds like rubbing compound will get rid of some of it. a few spots seem very deep, i'll see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

thanks lads. i held off on doing anything until my brother has a look at it this weekend. sounds like rubbing compound will get rid of some of it. a few spots seem very deep, i'll see how it goes.

Yep i thought i was f**ked but i compounded it myself.... it disappeared!!! :D and where did this magical stuff come from?!!! Lidl!!!! :eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

This happened my dads jeep aswell 2007 nissan navara, :( Assholes. The garage fixed it for free tho.

Advertisement