Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped off by shop-advice

Options
  • 23-04-2007 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I broke the shaft of my Ping G5 (by hitting a normal tee shot!!) and so returned to to shop I purchased it for a replacement/refurbishment. The guy in the shop said he would send it back to Ping and it would be re-shafted free of charge. He said the whole process would take 3 weeks at least. I then asked for a replacement driver for the meantime but was refused. i was so annoyed with this that i decided to go to another local golf retailer and purchase a new stick. I decided on the titleist 905R. I bought the club for 399euro with a 250 trade in for my G5 when it was returned from Ping.
    While playing at my local club, i wanderd into the proshop and noticed the same driver for sale at 299!!!! 100 cheaper! I went to check another proshop and also found it to be retailing at 299. As you might understand, I feel quite angry about this. I have used the 905r a few times and so don't think I will be able to get my money back just beacause i found it cheaper elsewhere. (open market thinking etc.). Any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I'm going to bump this over to consumer issues - more relevance.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

a retailer can charge what they like and the customer can shop where they like !! you should really have shopped around !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Unless the shop had a policy saying they have the cheapest equipment around or that they will beat any other price then I don't think you have any chance for a refund. Its up to you to shop around for the best deal on any purchases and the seller is entirely in their rights to make as much profit as they can...any price given from manufacturers are generally RRP (reccomended retail prices) and not the definitive sales price

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

Yes, i agree guys. Its a shame, the reason why i went to the other shop was that i wasnt happy with the fact that the other shop wouldnt give me a replacement driver for the 3+ weeks. ( i have spent a lot of cash in that place also) When i went to buy the new club in the second shop, I told the guy that i wasnt given a replacement immediately to keep me going and then he started to ramble on about how that it was poor customer service to do that and it wouldnt happen here etc. i would have preferred to wait 3 weeks for my driver than get ripped off by 100 bucks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I would guess if the shop you bought it from had it at 299, they would have only offered you 150 trade in.

Club pros usually end up being the best guys to buy from as they know they'll see you every other week. - They'll also do decent deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭kifi

the club when refitted with a new shaft also is re-gripped and the head cleaned and polished. So there's no way the club would be traded in for anything less than around the 220 mark by anyone

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kifi wrote:
    the club when refitted with a new shaft also is re-gripped and the head cleaned and polished. So there's no way the club would be traded in for anything less than around the 220 mark by anyone

seems very doubtful you would have got anywhere near 220 if the 905 was 299. You lost out on the good price and made it back on the trade in in my opinion as said above. You can get the g5 for €299 new too. Usually as soon as you buy it you are only going to get half to 2/3rds back as a trade in........

Advertisement