Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Votes for Irish citizens living abroad

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

FatherTed wrote:
    I agree about Irish Citizens living abroad, we should not be allowed to vote in Ireland. But voting is a right bestowed by citizenship so I think non Irish citizens living in Ireland should not vote whether they pay taxes or not.

So you think that the only people that should be allowed to vote are RoI resident Irish citizens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Folks I am getting the Impression that what the Irish state does has no bearing on you and your citizenship once you leave the country.

This is simply not the case.

If Ireland severes ties with the US a lot of our Citizens who are in the US now could be be expelled back to Ireland. Lets say referendum on Shannon.

Granted its unlikley but if this was stirring in Ireland as an Irish citizen in america you would have no say in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

No representation without taxation. When they pay their taxes at home and use the services (including government) then they can vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

luckat wrote:
    No representation without taxation. When they pay their taxes at home and use the services (including government) then they can vote.

The unemployed? the long term sick? OAP's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Zambia232 wrote:
    Folks I am getting the Impression that what the Irish state does has no bearing on you and your citizenship once you leave the country.

This is simply not the case.

If Ireland severes ties with the US a lot of our Citizens who are in the US now could be be expelled back to Ireland. Lets say referendum on Shannon.

Granted its unlikley but if this was stirring in Ireland as an Irish citizen in america you would have no say in it.
    No offence, but Shannon is in Ireland, should some Irishman's grandson, who thinks Ireland is still a US state really be voting on Shannon. And if Irish citizens in the US love Ireland so much they want to protect it from the Irish here, then why are they living in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

luckat wrote:
    What about all the immigrants in Ireland? They can vote too then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Imposter wrote:
    What about all the immigrants in Ireland? They can vote too then?

Are they using the services, are they, are they, are they,
    until they have to suffer and use them like the rest of us, well then, many of them fly off to have their teeth done at home while on holiday,

only joking,
    the immigrants do have a vote, i think they should definately have Dail votes,

With reference to the unemployed living here, again they are using the services, if anyone thinks they aren't suffering like the rest of us, then think again,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

How quickly people forget what Irish citizens overseas have contributed to the Irish economy.

As well as that, many Irish overseas are paying tax. Some sell their house in Ireland after leaving, and get done for capital gains tax due to being non-resident.
    No offence, but Shannon is in Ireland, should some Irishman's grandson, who thinks Ireland is still a US state really be voting on Shannon.

Nobody is talking about Irish people's grandchildren. We are talking about fully fledged Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Nobody is talking about Irish people's grandchildren. We are talking about fully fledged Irish citizens.
    If they have a passport they are indeed Irish citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

karen3212 wrote:
    No offence, but Shannon is in Ireland, should some Irishman's grandson, who thinks Ireland is still a US state really be voting on Shannon. And if Irish citizens in the US love Ireland so much they want to protect it from the Irish here, then why are they living in the US.

Karen I think your basing your arguments that there is some group out there called "Grand kids of Ireland" bent on the destruction of the irish state by bad votes.

The vote I'm talking about is from Irish citizens who would have moved to other countries to work and live. Who quite possibly are in waiting to become citizens of somewhere else , the current system means Ireland decides you left we dont need to worry about you anymore. Along with all the reasons why they decided or had to move.

Most people would have made their kids citizens of the state they where born in so I would say you would not be long counting Irish citizens by right of irish grand parents living in Australia, America, Europe,the UK etc.

IMO opinion anyone who is prepared to vote by making their way to a Irish Embassy is probably more well informed than a lot of people who currently live in the state.

Irish citizenry means the state has some responsibility for you , i.e you get stuck in some god awful place in prison you would want to see a representative from your Embassy. As you still are affected by the state then I fail to see why you are exempt from voting on its direction.

As for your argument that every irish citizen abroad should live in if they want to vote. We both know if every irish citzen returned or came to ireland the place would sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I will add my voice to Irish Citizen abroad - I shouldn't be allowed to vote.

I've lived overseas for 10yrs now. I should not have any say in Ireland's political affairs. I am not informed enough to vote. And I don't contribute to the state.

5 years ago I would have felt differently. As the years pass however, one reads Irish periodicals less, the hankering for Kerrygold diminishes, Guinness only ranks mid-table and all of a sudden one figures out that Barry's tea doesn't hold a candle to proper coffee. ;)

After the 'Patriot Act' passed, I applied for US citizenship. I was already p1ssed enough off about having no say about where my taxes were being spent and that elected officials were legislating religion into my life.

For those of you that can't think past PAYE, what about VAT? What about PRSI (not a tax, you say?)? What about inheritance tax?... well in Ireland's case you could go on forever in that dept.

karen3212: what on earth does "are they using the services" have to do with being allowed to vote??? Please clarify.

Advertisement