Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will SF do for me?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

While Capital Gains doesn't really affect me so I don't care, I really don't like PRSI. As someone who has a chequered past of jobs, studying and unemployment, I often claim PAYE back but can't claim PRSI back. In that regard, I do see it as a regressive tax.

PRSI is not a tax it is social insurance obviously you can not claim it back this is what gives you your entitlement to unemployment benefit, disability benefit ,invalidity benifit at anytime during your working life and a pension when you retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

PRSI is not a tax it is social insurance obviously you can not claim it back this is what gives you your entitlement to unemployment benefit, disability benefit ,invalidity benifit at anytime during your working life and a pension when you retire.
    For all practical purposes, it is a tax, it's just not called a tax. As I stated before on this thread, it only serves to complicate our otherwise relatively straightforward personal taxation system - my own theory behind it's retention is that govts can offset so-called tax cuts, with slight changes in rates or application of PRSI and yet still claim to have cut tax.

Advertisement