Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2004 Mondeo 1.8 LX Steering

Options
  • 24-04-2007 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was looking at a car for a friend of mine today - as the title suggests it's a 2004 1.8 Mondeo (not Zetec). The car is in great condition - it has a repainted bonnet which is slightly off colour (the wings are still genuine), but apart from that it's a minter - 32,000 miles, silver and it's gonna set him back only €10,200. It's an ex-rental.

The only thing is that there is a slight 'movement' - like a precusor to a knock, in the steering. I've been told by my friendly Ford dealer that sometimes the steering racks give problems in this regard and that it will cost €200 to get the rack reconditioned or €700 for a new rack from Ford.

Has anybody had experience of this fault, and if so did a recon rack solve the problem? I don't want this guy to buy the car and find he has to spend a fortune to get it right.

I've any amount of Mondeos on fleet and have replaced a few racks while the cars were in warranty. I'm being over cautious here as it's a very good friend so any thoughts or experiences would be very welcome.

EDIT: He is buying directly from the rental company as a 'trade sale' and, therefore, will get no warranty with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have a diesel model and i sometimes notice the steering a little weird. Not noises a such just feels odd sometimes. I am driving the car 2 years and its never caused any major probs. Nothing to worry about as far as i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

logik wrote:
    I have a diesel model and i sometimes notice the steering a little weird. Not noises a such just feels odd sometimes. I am driving the car 2 years and its never caused any major probs. Nothing to worry about as far as i think.

Yeah - the car feels solid - but at slow speeds there is a slight 'shift' or something that feels like play in the steering - hard to describe. But once the car goes above 20km/h it drives like a dream - no pulling or other such steering problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

good idea that - rental cars are faster then normal cars :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Does the price quoted for the rack include labour? They are not the most accessible beasts, and a fair bit of stripping may be required.

maidhc wrote:
    Does the price quoted for the rack include labour? They are not the most accessible beasts, and a fair bit of stripping may be required.

No - the price is for parts only. And you are right - those racks are a b1tch to get at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What's a worst case scenario here? A new steering rack needed or perhaps an issue with the subframe? Either way, I can't see it costing more than about 1500 quid. If you tell him that in effect he may be buying the car for 11.7k but that he may be getting it for a lot less if the knock turns out to be something simple would he be happy with that. My "philosophy" would be - take a risk and potentially get a bargain. Or pay top money at a dealers for something with a warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

crosstownk wrote:
    Hi all,

I was looking at a car for a friend of mine today - as the title suggests it's a 2004 1.8 Mondeo (not Zetec). The car is in great condition - it has a repainted bonnet which is slightly off colour (the wings are still genuine), but apart from that it's a minter - 32,000 miles, silver and it's gonna set him back only €10,200. It's an ex-rental.

The only thing is that there is a slight 'movement' - like a precusor to a knock, in the steering. I've been told by my friendly Ford dealer that sometimes the steering racks give problems in this regard and that it will cost €200 to get the rack reconditioned or €700 for a new rack from Ford.

Has anybody had experience of this fault, and if so did a recon rack solve the problem? I don't want this guy to buy the car and find he has to spend a fortune to get it right.

I've any amount of Mondeos on fleet and have replaced a few racks while the cars were in warranty. I'm being over cautious here as it's a very good friend so any thoughts or experiences would be very welcome.

EDIT: He is buying directly from the rental company as a 'trade sale' and, therefore, will get no warranty with it.

Did you check the front anti-roll bar bushes & links for any excess play or movement??,very common on 93-00 mondeos not sure about 2004 TBH:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I am in the 99 model so that it possible. Just went for a service and the NCT and came out clean, don't think i have anything to worry about.

Ford dealer reckons it's the rack. So my mate has decided to go ahead and get the job done along with a full service and one or two other items. Either way he is still getting a bargain.

Thanks for all the advice folks.

Advertisement