Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions For Any Politician that Comes Knocking On My Door

Options
  • 24-04-2007 5:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Well as the title says I am trying to compile a list of questions to but to any politicians that comes knocking on my door for a vote over the next few weeks.
    I haven’t posted a lot recently due to private issues. I am slightly behind on all the changes that are happen at government level. So I am trying to draft a set of questions that anyone could use to see if a candidate should get our vote

1. Where they stand (or there party) on hunting and shooting in Ireland
    2. Why the licence fee is to be increased when there will be less garda
    man hours used issuing a 3 year licence
    3. Would they support a 5 year licence system similar to the UK one
    where the shooter is licensed and not the firearm.
    4. Would they get a set of guide lines laid out for garda super
    intendments so that everyone would be required to meet the same
    criteria for that calibre of firearm and that then a licence would be
    issued in a timely manner

Feel free to add any more that you can think of

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

'Do ya think this Benelli M4 should be on the restricted list? do ya?, huh, do ya?'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

1. Where they stand (or there party) on hunting and shooting in Ireland
    Forget asking them the party line, get their personal line. Get the party line from party HQ.
    2. Why the licence fee is to be increased when there will be less garda man hours used issuing a 3 year licence
    Doesn't look like that's going to happen now.
    3. Would they support a 5 year licence system similar to the UK one
    where the shooter is licensed and not the firearm.
    Good one.
    4. Would they get a set of guide lines laid out for garda superintendments so that everyone would be required to meet the same criteria for that calibre of firearm and that then a licence would be issued in a timely manner
    That's asking for the restricted list, because the Minister's stated reason for having the restricted list was to centralise and standardise licence applications and processing.
    Thing is, the way he's doing it, the standard will be "Nope - Refused".
    Feel free to add any more that you can think of
    - What are your thoughts on planning permission for shooting ranges?
    - What are your thoughts on how old someone should be before they start in a shooting sport?
    - What are your thoughts on proficiency certification for firearms licencing, and who should be responsible for proficiency testing?
    - Have you ever fired, held or seen a firearm or a shooting range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Remind them that there are 230,000 cheesed off voted shooters out there and as long as they not in favor of piedofiles they'd do well out of addressing the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Perhaps an additional approach might be a website (or, indeed, an area of this forum) where the official position of each party can be seen in relation to our specific concerns as a shooting community ?

Of course, we'd have to agree a list of concerns first.... a simple, easy to understand (for politicians) list of clearly stated, reasonably phrased concerns that non-shooters would be comfortable commenting on.

Michael D'Arcy called me today to pledge support for a fair deal for gun owners..
    Seemed nice and genuine about it, good answers to most of the above questions as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement