Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Up in court this morning

Options
  • 24-04-2007 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Mate of mine is up in court this morning for failing to pay a speeding penalty fine in time. Basically, the points notice was sent to an old address, and he didn't actually get it until after the 28 days had elapsed. How do you reckon he'll get on? He has bills etc. to prove that he wasn't living at the old address at the time, and he had sent off the change of address form to Shannon, but it hadn't been processed. Any ideas how judges view this kind of thing? He's just hoping they don't give him the 4 points (has 4 already)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can he prove that he sent off the change of address form? I presume that the judge will ask him the situation and then throw 4 points at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

he should be alright if he has the proof.it all really depends on the judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bogmanfan wrote:
    Hey all. Mate of mine is up in court this morning for failing to pay a speeding penalty fine in time. Basically, the points notice was sent to an old address, and he didn't actually get it until after the 28 days had elapsed. How do you reckon he'll get on? He has bills etc. to prove that he wasn't living at the old address at the time, and he had sent off the change of address form to Shannon, but it hadn't been processed. Any ideas how judges view this kind of thing? He's just hoping they don't give him the 4 points (has 4 already)

(1) Wear a suit and look respectable!

(2) If you get the judge in a kind of humour where he is pissed off listening to the Gardai making mistakes all morning, he/she might just throw it out! I'd be admitting to the offence and arguing for the 2 point penalty & fine, I'd say you mate will get out of it for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Judge didn't want to know about it. 4 points and a fine. He now has 8:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think that is ridiculas. If you are not informed about the fine, how can you possibly pay it? Its not his fault the change of address form was not processed. Terrible, just terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I think that this is outrageous !

The whole point of going to Court is that you can have your say, a Judge who doesn't want to know should not be on the bench !

on the othert hand i think a lot of folk move houses and only update their vehicle details when their tax is due, few are concientious enough to do it at the approriate time.

I imagine the Judge saw little or no proof that the accused tried to change his address records correctly !

Tough break !

bogmanfan wrote:
    Judge didn't want to know about it. 4 points and a fine. He now has 8:eek:

Tell him to appeal it, i have 8 and its really hard to drive with 8 as you are always worried as you dont want more.:)

Tell your friend to appeal it and next time he might get a better judge who will listen.What court was it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

drdre wrote:
    Tell him to appeal it, i have 8 and its really hard to drive with 8 as you are always worried as you dont want more.:)

How did you manage to get 8 points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

drdre wrote:

You'll find if you don't speed and obey the rules of the road you don't need to worry.

That said, obviously if you could do that you wouldn't have 8 points anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

bazz26 wrote:
    That's a thread of great renown which probably needs to be stickied as a tale of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Defo appeal it.

bazz26 wrote:

Speeding over the past 3yrs :( . Hopefully 4 are coming off by october.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Did the judge realize that he had the other points already. Probably wasn't inclined to give hin benefit of the doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

How did he find out that he was due in court?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well the fact that he left everything until the court date to say it went to the wrong address is why the judge gave him that punishment!! Why didn't he go to the summoning garda before today to try sort it out??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

jonny24ie wrote:
    Well the fact that he left everything until the court date to say it went to the wrong address is why the judge gave him that punishment!! Why didn't he go to the summoning garda before today to try sort it out??

Once you recieve a summons for not paying a speeding ticket on time you have to go to court. There is nothing the summoning garda can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

AntiVirus wrote:
    Once you recieve a summons for not paying a speeding ticket on time you have to go to court. There is nothing the summoning garda can do.

NOT true, The Garda can inform the DPP of the circumstances and the DPP can request to the case stricken out.

I had the same thing happen to me, they gave the summons to my parents and i wasn't in the country, came back and contacted the Garda, i had presented my License and Insurance Cert in the wrong station, stupid me :) But the garda said it was fine and to turn up in court anyway.

Still had to go to court but i just stood up when called and the DPP said "We request that be struck out Judge"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

As this comes up regularly the Garda normally asks when taking down details from a license "Is this your current address"

If it was a speed camera which there are very few how did the person not receive the fine but receive the summons ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Chief--- wrote:
    As this comes up regularly the Garda normally asks when taking down details from a license "Is this your current address"

If it was a speed camera which there are very few how did the person not receive the fine but receive the summons ??

Indeed it would have been his current address, often the gardai say nothing about the outcome and you just get a fine in the post. In the meantime he could have moved, never have received the fine, registered his change of address, the Garda checked pulse and then applied for a summons then delivered it to the new address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Cactus Col wrote:
    You'll find if you don't speed and obey the rules of the road you don't need to worry.

Very Helpful:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cactus Col wrote:

Thats a very intelligent reply.I know that.Tell me something i dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OT - To be fair to DrDre, from reading his posts on here for the last while, he appears to have learnt his lesson.

However, this being t'internet, nobody here ever seems to have lived in a glass house.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The address on my licence is different to the address my car is registered at. The address on my previous licence showed an address I was renting for a while, then I was living in a new place for several months before getting a new licence with the new address. My car is registered to my parents' address.

If I was caught speeding by a camera or whatever, would the points and fine go to the parents' address (the registration address of the car) or whatever address was on my licence at the time?

Fey! wrote:
    OT - To be fair to DrDre, from reading his posts on here for the last while, he appears to have learnt his lesson.

However, this being t'internet, nobody here ever seems to have lived in a glass house.

Thanks fey and i dont need to be told that you get points for speeding.I think i know that.:rolleyes:
    I havnt got points since early last year so i have learnt my lesson.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Stark wrote:
    The address on my licence is different to the address my car is registered at. The address on my previous licence showed an address I was renting for a while, then I was living in a new place for several months before getting a new licence with the new address. My car is registered to my parents' address.

If I was caught speeding by a camera or whatever, would the points and fine go to the parents' address (the registration address of the car) or whatever address was on my licence at the time?

Fine would go to your parents address.

Eventually the summons would too, it can be served on either of your parents by a garda in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you update the address for tax purposes, say if you move house and buy a new car afterwards, does your license address automatically get updated?

I assumed it did but am beginning to wonder if the two systems do not verify with each other?
    If they don't, could i walk into the local Garda station and ask them to check if I've any points since moving house last autumn?!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

thats ballix, he should appeal. very unfair IMO.

DrDre, you never cease to amaze me, we know you got a passion for speed :rolleyes:
    but why were you interested in buying the polo which is now happily living peaceful life in the ocean bed........:confused:

thought you might like something with a bit more ooomph.....!

legs11 wrote:
    thats ballix, he should appeal. very unfair IMO.

DrDre, you never cease to amaze me, we know you got a passion for speed :rolleyes:
    but why were you interested in buying the polo which is now happily living peaceful life in the ocean bed........:confused:

thought you might like something with a bit more ooomph.....!

I have too many penalty points so im going to use a under powered car for 1 yr till some points come off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Stark wrote:

all depends
    1. if u were stopped ba a garda he can do two things
    (a) take down the address off ur licence
    (b) or ask u for ur present adress

if u are to be summonsed for this offence whatever address the garda takes down this is the address the summons will be sent to

2. if u are caught by the camera the fixed charge notice will be sent to wherever the vehicle is registered.

hope that makes sense:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

craichoe wrote:
    NOT true, The Garda can inform the DPP of the circumstances and the DPP can request to the case stricken out.

I had the same thing happen to me, they gave the summons to my parents and i wasn't in the country, came back and contacted the Garda, i had presented my License and Insurance Cert in the wrong station, stupid me :) But the garda said it was fine and to turn up in court anyway.

Still had to go to court but i just stood up when called and the DPP said "We request that be struck out Judge"

You didn't have the same thing happen to you. If you didn't pay a speeding fine you would have to go to court. It cannot be struck off! Simple really.

Advertisement