Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Up in court this morning

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

drdre wrote:
    Speeding over the past 3yrs :( . Hopefully 4 are coming off by october.

I can sympathise.
    unfortunately I got a few (including 2 "soft" points for not wearing seatbelt around town).
    can't wait to get rid of them obviously.

should be a nice feeling getting rid of 4 though. i'm due to get rid of 2 next year as well-
    do you think it has changed your behaviour for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

mkennedy wrote:
    I can sympathise.
    unfortunately I got a few (including 2 "soft" points for not wearing seatbelt around town).
    can't wait to get rid of them obviously.

should be a nice feeling getting rid of 4 though. i'm due to get rid of 2 next year as well-
    do you think it has changed your behaviour for the future.

Yeah i got 2 for seatbelt in town.i think thats really stupid ,not because i got them but minor issues should be on the licence for 1 yr not 3.Seriously the govenment should look into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

i got 2 points and proud.....:D

had 4 but two got taken off, two for speeding actually, in a civic coupe sr, on the limerick dual carriage way. fast car that, actually one of the best i drove.

got 2 for cought with no belt headin to work in cork few yrs ago, the ballix was waitin around a corner and legged up behind me in a bike, i was tempted to slide the belt on while he was chasing me in his bike, but was too innocent.
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

drdre wrote:
    I have too many penalty points so im going to use a under powered car for 1 yr till some points come off :)
    ...and then get a bigger car so you can collect more points?
    No offence but if you have a habit of building up points then it could as easily happen in any car.
    mkennedy wrote:
    I can sympathise.
    What are soft points? I don't know how soft they are but Im confident they are a lot softer than the landing you might get in a heavy impact.
    Learn your lesson from getting them!
    drdre wrote:
    Yeah i got 2 for seatbelt in town.i think thats really stupid ,not because i got them but minor issues should be on the licence for 1 yr not 3.Seriously the govenment should look into this.
    Surely not wearing a seatbelt is not a minor issue? Have you really not heard of the benefits of seatbelts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Chief--- wrote:
    As this comes up regularly the Garda normally asks when taking down details from a license "Is this your current address"

If it was a speed camera which there are very few how did the person not receive the fine but receive the summons ??

Change of address form must have been processed some time between the fine and the summons being sent out. Turns out he hadn't sent off the Change of Address form immediately after moving. Still think it was very harsh though. He had no problem with getting the 2 points and paying the fine. It seems stupid that nothing can be done between the summons and the court date. Most of the other speeding fines were pleading no contest. Why take up the court's time with this. Court date should only be in the case of someone contesting the charge surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

kbannon wrote:
    No offence but if you have a habit of building up points then it could as easily happen in any car.

What are soft points? I don't know how soft they are but Im confident they are a lot softer than the landing you might get in a heavy impact.
    Learn your lesson from getting them!

Surely not wearing a seatbelt is not a minor issue? Have you really not heard of the benefits of seatbelts?

I agree strongly with Kbannon on this one, I didn't think anyone drove around without their seatbelts on any more!
    You are asking for trouble both from the Gardai and if you are involved in even a minor accident you can end up seriously injured.

You need to change you 'soft points' attitude big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Victor_M wrote:
    I agree strongly with Kbannon on this one, I didn't think anyone drove around without their seatbelts on any more!
    You are asking for trouble both from the Gardai and if you are involved in even a minor accident you can end up seriously injured.

You need to change you 'soft points' attitude big time.
    they are soft points, the only person you are putting in danger is yourself. I think it is an offence that should carry a fine, not points.

Not true!
    If you are unrestrained in a vehicle you can injure others in the vehicle.
    Stop defending stupidity!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

kbannon wrote:
    Not true!
    Not to mention the mental trauma you would cause to witnesses as you sail through the windscreen and go bouncing up the road.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Cactus Col wrote:
    You'll find if you don't speed and obey the rules of the road you don't need to worry.

That said, obviously if you could do that you wouldn't have 8 points anyway.

Well said.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Not true!
    We were talking about people DRIVING the car, adn we don't know that anyone was in the car with these people at the time, so they are only a risk to themselves if drving alone. Also, i'd be surprised if an unrestrained driver would injure people, given the confines of the drivers seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Tauren wrote:
    We were talking about people DRIVING the car, adn we don't know that anyone was in the car with these people at the time, so they are only a risk to themselves if drving alone. Also, i'd be surprised if an unrestrained driver would injure people, given the confines of the drivers seat.

Darwinism in action??? :D

Tauren wrote:
    Also, i'd be surprised if an unrestrained driver would injure people, given the confines of the drivers seat.
    What confines? It wouldn't take much to remove the driver from their seat despite the steering wheel. What happens to the driver if the car is hit from the side?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Tauren wrote:
    they are soft points, the only person you are putting in danger is yourself. I think it is an offence that should carry a fine, not points.

What about the poor person who has to scrape you off the road ? nothing going to be nice for them is it :p

well, it would be one less idiot on the road.

I wear my seatbelt whenever i drive. it is the first thing i do when i get into the car - same with all myfirends and family. I think it is important to wear a seat belt - but i do not think someone driving alone should be given penalty points if they are not wearing one. Personally, i think penalty points should only be given for dangerous driving that puts others at risk.

Tauren wrote:
    well, it would be one less idiot on the road.

I wear my seatbelt whenever i drive. it is the first thing i do when i get into the car - same with all myfirends and family. I think it is important to wear a seat belt - but i do not think someone driving alone should be given penalty points if they are not wearing one. Personally, i think penalty points should only be given for dangerous driving that puts others at risk.
    Lets say you are driving along minding your own business, then completely unrelated to you there is an incident, during this incident some tosser who was not wearing a seatbelt is ejected from his car into your path. This tosser is now a hazard and is putting you at risk.

Whilst the fact that he may not survive and will have taken themselves out of the genepool, allowing seatbelt wearers to thrive you have most likely just witnessed Darwinism in action will only be small comfort when consider against the danger you now face.

Not wearing a seatbelt is a risk to other road users.

MrP

kbannon wrote:
    No offence but if you have a habit of building up points then it could as easily happen in any car.quote]

Yes plan is to get the 1.4 gt golf which is 170bhp.Hopefully next year

MrPudding wrote:
    Lets say you are driving along minding your own business, then completely unrelated to you there is an incident, during this incident some tosser who was not wearing a seatbelt is ejected from his car into your path. This tosser is now a hazard and is putting you at risk.

Whilst the fact that he may not survive and will have taken themselves out of the genepool, allowing seatbelt wearers to thrive you have most likely just witnessed Darwinism in action will only be small comfort when consider against the danger you now face.

Not wearing a seatbelt is a risk to other road users.

MrP
    I would say that in all likelyhood - you should be slowing up as a result of the crash in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The strange thing is that you ARE obliged to update your vehicle ownership details, i.e change of address and this is easily done whilst taxing tyhe car, but you are not obliged to change the deatils on your licence. It is simply reccomended !!

Tauren wrote:
    I would say that in all likelyhood - you should be slowing up as a result of the crash in the first place.
    And your point is?

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Tauren wrote:

Actually the car would be slowing up YOU wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'd think that putting on a seatbelt was a huge imposition the way people here are talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Stark wrote:
    You'd think that putting on a seatbelt was a huge imposition the way people here are talking.

yippee!!!

a small bit of common sense at last.

simple:
    if u drive wear a seatbelt :mad:

question. why do all threads go way off the ops original thread:rolleyes:

yayamark wrote:
    yippee!!!

a small bit of common sense at last.

simple:
    if u drive wear a seatbelt :mad:

question. why do all threads go way off the ops original thread:rolleyes:

Thats a good question :)

lads can I just set the record straight.
    I should've been more precise:

at the time I was driving at 10 kmh in town with no passengers -ie endangering no-one else.

I have never driven on the open road without a seatbelt in my life. (ie above 50 kmh).

and since then I always wear a seatbelt around town (it's just habit now)

still there are a lot more serious traffic offences than the above tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Agreed

mkennedy wrote:

still there are a lot more serious traffic offences than the above tbh.

So what? Regardless of the offenses that may or may not be happening elsewhere, the only one that matters is the one that happens to take place in front of someone who can do something about it.

In this case it was not wearing a seatbelt in from of a copper. You would have to presume that if someone was being hacked to death beside you then you may have gotten away with it.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    So what? Regardless of the offenses that may or may not be happening elsewhere, the only one that matters is the one that happens to take place in front of someone who can do something about it.

In this case it was not wearing a seatbelt in from of a copper. You would have to presume that if someone was being hacked to death beside you then you may have gotten away with it.

MrP

obviously.
    i'm not arguing with the law and I can't do much about it.

i'm just expressing dissatisfaction with it because imo it's not a dangerous infraction at 10KMH and UNACCOMPANIED. that's all.

far more deserving of points is driving without a seatbelt at greater speeds e.g 50-100kmh ESPECIALLY WHILE ACCOMPANIED.

i'm sure most people would agree the 2 scenarios aren't equivalent. hence my use of the term "soft".

anyway this has gone way OT. sorry OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

drdre wrote:
    Thats a good question :)

At least no one has been called a Nazi yet... 3 whole pages so far.... must be getting close....

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote:
    At least no one has been called a Nazi yet... 3 whole pages so far.... must be getting close....

:D:D

Advertisement