Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly...

• 24-04-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly not being cleared to play for Cork City?? I don't really understand why FIFA hasn't cleared them, i think it has something to do with the amount of clubs a player can sign for in a certain time period but i'm not sure, does anyone know the in's and out's of it??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Healy was released from Barnsley, so was essentially unemployed. Cork City picked him up. He had been on loan at Bradford also, so City is his third club of the FIFA Calender year

Farrelly was on a week to week contract with Blackpool when City picked him up. He was with Bohs last season, but by the FIFA calender, City is his third club within.

Basically its one of three things

1. Liverpool could afford a decent back hander to get Mascherano in

2. The fact that their registrations are with the English FA

3. The global conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think this rule should be based on transfer fees, wheather or not its a loan deal or not, if the player is unattached and/or appearances.

Mascherano wasnt getting his game at West Ham and went on loan to Liverpool, he needed to play football and I dont see a problem with that.

The same applies to the other 2. Stupid unclear rule IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Agreed, it seems un-nessesarily complicated, its just FIFA making sure that they can stamp their authority on anyone at any time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote:
    3. The global conspiracy.
    You didn't need the rest of your post.

Steve_o, this all started a few years back, when Pat Dolan became the manager of Cork City Football Club - yes, THAT far back.

It was obvious to Friendly Pat that the 'Rebel Army' were being prejudiced against by the Dublin-oriented league. Decisions would go against them, the Dublin clubs would be treated in a more favourable way. It really was horrible. Luckily Friendly Pat brought this travesty to the attention of the 'Rebel Army' fans, gimmick being one of them. They all fell in love with Friendly Pat, and believed every word he said. He was the new hero of Cork Soccer. Indeed, The Saviour, The Messiah.

Alas, Friendly Pat had to leave, Big Bad Brian, the owner of the club, sent him away. Some of the 'Rebel Army' fans still cannot accept that this event in fact occurred, and cling to the hope that their Messiah will return to lead them to Glory, the promised land of back-to-back league titles. Even though when Friendly Pat was in charge, his team never beat their main rivals from Nasty Dublin (Evil Shels) in battle in Turner's X, or even a League Title.

When Friendly Pat left, Big Bad Brian put Rowdy Rico in charge of his team. Some of Friendly Pat's closest friends could not accept this, so tried to undermine Rowdy Rico, he was from Nasty Dublin after all. But Rico faced up to his in-house adversaries and delivered the League Title, still some people remained loyal to Friendly Pat and continued to call for the departure of Rico.

The following season, while Rico lead his troops to battle in Europe, Evil Shels from Nasty Dublin did the business and re-took the league title, although on the way they tried all manner of cunning evilness. Rico spotted this, spotted that his team were being 'ridden rock solid' It seems Friendly Pat was right after all! The Dublin-Centric organisers of the battle were putting as many obstacles in the way of the 'Rebel Army' keeping their title. It was obvious to all people from Cork.

Anyway, Evil Shels' Evil Deeds finally caught up with them, and they were banished to the wastelands. Rico decided he might need some extra troops for the new battles, and he went and got the legendary El Spooferino, Formally a battler for the Nasty Dubs known as Da Boez, indeed he had been their general, but he was ready to go into battle again, having spent some time honing his skills in Britannia. Another battler from Britannia was called to the fold - The Healenator. Together they would help the 'Rebel Army' to conquer all before them! Yipee!

However, the Nasty Dubs had been in contact with their secret agents in the global pantheon known as FIFA, and told them that they would not accept this, The 'Rebel Army' could not be allowed to rise again.

FIFA agreed with the Nasty Dubs, and told Big Bad Brian that his two new gladiators would not be allowed take part in battles until the middle of the year. They had done battle for too many other armies in the previous year. Rico was angry, he began spitting and using big words.

The saga took another twist when the 'Rebel Army' appealed to FIFA, but were shot down.

What people don't seem to realise, is that there is not in fact any conspiracy - the Nasty Dubs and the FAI had offered to help, but Big Bad Brian and Rico decided that they would be better off alone - they were the 'Rebel Army' after all.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Steve_o wrote:
    Agreed, it seems un-nessesarily complicated, its just FIFA making sure that they can stamp their authority on anyone at any time!

Not true, the rules are there to stop what Farrelly and Healy did and its for the good of football, Cork people dont seem to realise that. You cant sign short term contracts with 3 or 4 different clubs in one year the rule is 2 to stop players moving about like hos.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Quite honestly, Seansouths post is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. How long have you had that in the bank?

Re Kdjacs post, Healy was released from Barnsley - as professinal footballer this made him unemployed. FIFA are essentially stopping him from working, as CCFc have not hired him to train. With regard to Farrelly, he was trying to earn a full time contract at Blackpool, which was not forthcoming. City came in and gave him a job (ie a full time contract). Like Helay, City did not do this for him to train, it is to play.

Why else have 9 other players in similar positions been freed up? And dont say because they are international transfers, because Sean Holmes went from some IL outfit to Finn harps, which is actually an international transfer between to associations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Gimmick i actually do think these laws are good for the game, im not sure how old you are but do you rememeber the Mercenary 1 year contracts? They sucked big time. Now its gotten to the 4 3 month contracts in one year.

Fifa had to act to stop this and the 2 club rule is the answer it stops players drifting between clubs and forces CLUBS to offer longer contracts thus giving these players a more stable working enviroment.

Fair enough Healy is unfortunate but his agent and Farrellys are employed to know the rules regarding transfers. They both knew this before Cork signed them, the onus is on the club to know the rules.

The 2 sticking points from FIFA are the short term contracts, when both players were released early from the contracts they signed they were paid the contract in full.

This isnt FIFAs fault that the agents and CCFC didnt adhere to the rules and comparing with Liverpool is foolish as West ham signed a player at the start of their season and pool signed him during the trasnfer window. Not that they played for 4 clubs and got paid in full by all.

Tho i do enjoy the ridden rock solid comments :D this one goes into the CCFC stupid contract pile.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

seansouth wrote:
    What people don't seem to realise, is that there is not in fact any conspiracy - the Nasty Dubs and the FAI had offered to help, but Big Bad Brian and Rico decided that they would be better off alone - they were the 'Rebel Army' after all.

:rolleyes:

Exactly. Cork shot themselves in the foot when they declined the offer of assistance from the FAI who took a case for several other players in similar positions. They decided to go it alone and ended up paying the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

KdjaCL wrote:
    Gimmick i actually do think these laws are good for the game, im not sure how old you are but do you rememeber the Mercenary 1 year contracts? They sucked big time. Now its gotten to the 4 3 month contracts in one year.

Fifa had to act to stop this and the 2 club rule is the answer it stops players drifting between clubs and forces CLUBS to offer longer contracts thus giving these players a more stable working enviroment.

Fair enough Healy is unfortunate but his agent and Farrellys are employed to know the rules regarding transfers. They both knew this before Cork signed them, the onus is on the club to know the rules.

The 2 sticking points from FIFA are the short term contracts, when both players were released early from the contracts they signed they were paid the contract in full.

This isnt FIFAs fault that the agents and CCFC didnt adhere to the rules and comparing with Liverpool is foolish as West ham signed a player at the start of their season and pool signed him during the trasnfer window. Not that they played for 4 clubs and got paid in full by all.

Tho i do enjoy the ridden rock solid comments :D this one goes into the CCFC stupid contract pile.

kdjac
    i agree totally with what you're saying but surely if this rule is there then everyone should have to abide by it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Exactly. Cork shot themselves in the foot when they declined the offer of assistance from the FAI who took a case for several other players in similar positions. They decided to go it alone and ended up paying the consequences.

And who thinks the FAI would be of any help. They always **** things up one way or another.

• Advertisement

The reason the FAI were told hop it was because once City told them about the case, nothing was heard for another 2 weeks. A City representative rang FIFA after no info was forthcoming. FIFA said yes the FAI had contacted them, but didnt say which player(s) or which team was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    I'm a City supporter and I agree with this. The Cork City managment have to take the blame for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

nice one for that seansouth, made me laugh no end.

as for the healy and farrelly situation, it's farcical. i don't agree that cork city are to blame at all. the situation is identical to the mascherano situation, and whoever says any different is wrong. it's wrong to deny two footballers the right to ply their trade.

anyway, it's hurts my head just thinking about it. stupid fifa.

Advertisement