Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 Vectra

Options
  • 24-04-2007 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

It seems the guys at GM have been watching their competitors even more closely than we had anticipated. Not only have they been toppled in sales for the firs 1/4 of 2007, refusing to give in; they had already designed the new Vectra to look like a Lexus IS/GS from the front and a Chrysler 300c from the rear.

Car manufacturers producing carbon copies. What ever next:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edit: photo

car_photo_215992_7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there a link for photos of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

no pic alright

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/207650/vauxhall_vectra.html

Incidentally, Im just after going outside for a break and saw a red vectra on the back of a flat-bed - it was covered in white gloss paint!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Going out on a limb here but methinks it looks like a Mercedes CLS from behind.

Great looking car IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

kbannon wrote:
    Incidentally, Im just after going outside for a break and saw a red vectra on the back of a flat-bed - it was covered in white gloss paint!

Ouch! Hope she was worth it!;)

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote:
    It seems the guys at GM have been watching their competitors even more closely than we had anticipated. Not only have they been toppled in sales for the firs 1/4 of 2007, refusing to give in; they had already designed the new Vectra to look like a Lexus IS/GS from the front and a Chrysler 300c from the rear.

Car manufacturers producing carbon copies. What ever next:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

edit: photo

car_photo_215992_7.jpg

You are leaching images (again) and thats why everyone but you can't see the images!

Save the images you want to show off and upload them to imageshack rather than using up someones elses bandwidth!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It could look like an Aston Martin Vantage V8, its still a bloody Vectra in the end and they are the worst car in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Will it still have those very annoying indicators stalks that when you try to flick off, start indicating in the opposite direction?

They annoy me so much. Why do they need indicato stalks that flick back to the middle when you indicate?

Lex Luthor wrote:
    It could look like an Aston Martin Vantage V8, its still a bloody Vectra in the end and they are the worst car in the world

Easy now, mine does the job perfectly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Stekelly wrote:
    Will it still have those very annoying indicators stalks that when you try to flick off, start indicating in the opposite direction?

They annoy me so much. Why do they need indicato stalks that flick back to the middle when you indicate?

To cancel the indicators you just push it a small amount up or down in the opposite direction. doesnt take long to get used to it. but i think everyone does what you say at first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Really nice looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

bigkev49 wrote:
    Easy now, mine does the job perfectly well.
    I'm not knocking its looks and I'm sure it does the job perfectly well, in fact I like the look of the current Vectra estate and would go so far it would be one of my favourite estates on the market today. New Vectra looks very good also, but I've driven a lot of Opels for hire cars and I just hate the interiors and the seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Another bucket of sh*te from Opel to join the rest of their fleet, its been so long now since they made a decent car I can't remember, probably the rwd Ascona from around the late 70's or even the Kadett.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

junkyard wrote:
    its been so long now since they made a decent car I can't remember, probably the rwd Ascona from around the late 70's

My dad bought a brand new '78 rwd Ascona 1.9 petrol. It was sh1te. Almost all mass market cars back then were sh1te. Rust, no space, no driver aids, no diagnostics, awful fuel consumption (about the same as the biggest current cars around that are twice the weight with twice the engine size and 3 times the power), awful reliability, deathtraps - the lot of them

That's in terms of comparing a generation of cars 30 years ago to a generation of cars of today. Comparing different makes of cars today, Opel has won some ground on the competition in the last few years with offerings such as Meriva, Zafira, Astra and Vectra

Have you driven the latest Astra or Vectras??? they're horrible and the handling is atrocious. I had a 2.0 Ascona, a 1981 model, and I loved it, as Strong as a tank and nothing ever went wrong with it as it was so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

junkyard wrote:
    Have you driven the latest Astra or Vectras??? they're horrible and the handling is atrocious. I had a 2.0 Ascona, a 1981 model, and I loved it, as Strong as a tank and nothing ever went wrong with it as it was so simple.
    Yes I have! And the handling on the Vectra is superb. I'll await a drive of the 2008 model to see if it's as good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My vectra I got new in December is running grand. Other than my initial pulling to the left problem which was sorted, I haven't had any bother and find it comfortable to drive.

In relation to the indicators, yes they are the worst designed I have seen. If you indicate right and enter a right hand filter, you will have to indicate again before taking the main right hand turn, due to the autocancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

junkyard wrote:

My SRi handles very well and I'm more than happy with it. You seem to have a problem with Opels judging by your previous posts.....what happened?

junkyard wrote:
    I had a 2.0 Ascona, a 1981 model, and I loved it, as Strong as a tank and nothing ever went wrong with it as it was so simple.

Any chance you still have thrown somewhere junkyard? mate of mine is rebuilding an ascona at the moment and another shell would be very handy to him considering his is held together with rust at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Sorry, opels dont handle, had them for 7 years as company cars and while indestructable (deer-proof, amongst other things) they understeer really badly and the breaks were always weak, I ran a 2004 vectra for 2 years and while comfortable and easy to live withthe front end grip was awful, try a ford and you'll see the difference,

That said, I like them, and would consider them again, handling is not always relevent, being able to be horrible to a car without it complaining or breaking is admirable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Try driving the 2006 model. Handling is brilliant!

Try driving the 2006 model. Handling is brilliant!

Or a 05 SRi....handling is fantastic

furtzy wrote:
    Or a 05 SRi....handling is fantastic
    For a so called performance car handling is only adequate tbh, I've driven most of the range and handling isn't a strong point by any stretch of the imagination, I suppose if your happy with mediocre so be it.;)

junkyard wrote:
    Another bucket of sh*te from Opel to join the rest of their fleet, its been so long now since they made a decent car I can't remember

Happiness works for me.....you seem to be severly lacking in it ;)

furtzy wrote:
    Happiness works for me.....you seem to be severly lacking in it ;)
    Thanks for your concern but I've no problems in the happiness front, I just don't see that when you pay good money for stuff, i.e. cars, boats and even services, and then you find out that a major design flaw or poor service is regarded as "normal" or "they're all like that" just isn't good enough. I can appreciate something wearing out due to general usage or wear and tear but some of the excuses nowadays beggars belief. Then you find out that the local main dealer has loads of that particular part in stock and a hefty price to go with it, it would be more in their line to recall the faulty product and replace the inferior part. The same goes for cars, some of the stuff on the market today is a disgrace, shocking build quality, unreliable and a dealer network that couldn't care less. Instead of standing for this more people should stand their ground and insist on better quality and better service.

junkyard wrote:
    Thanks for your concern but I've no problems in the happiness front, I just don't see that when you pay good money for stuff, i.e. cars, boats and even services, and then you find out that a major design flaw or poor service is regarded as "normal" or "they're all like that" just isn't good enough. I can appreciate something wearing out due to general usage or wear and tear but some of the excuses nowadays beggars belief. Then you find out that the local main dealer has loads of that particular part in stock and a hefty price to go with it, it would be more in their line to recall the faulty product and replace the inferior part. The same goes for cars, some of the stuff on the market today is a disgrace, shocking build quality, unreliable and a dealer network that couldn't care less. Instead of standing for this more people should stand their ground and insist on better quality and better service.

I agree totally but what I don't go along with is the "all Opels are ****e all renaults etc etc are ****e" generalisations. I figure you are in the motor trade and you've obviously had issues with Opel and Renaults in the past but that doesn't make them all ****e. I have a mate who has always bought Renault Lagunas and has nothing but praise for them and as far as i know has never had any major problems. Best just to point out a models faults based on experience and not just generalise.

Advertisement