Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving a commercial van with regular licience

Options
  • 24-04-2007 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

hey all, Im looking at a transit bus to buy and convert into a camper, its got a few months on its DOE so I presume its a Commercial vehicle. I have my full licience with catogory C (up to 3500kg). I talked to my insurance company and they told me I could transport any private motor vehicle but not a commercial vehilce. Because I cant register it as a recreational vehicle untill its converted I need some way to move it to my home. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's your insurance that's the problem rather than your licence. You're going to need temporary commercial insurance for it, or else get it towed to your house or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

His licence could be a problem as well. If it's a minibus with >8 seats, he may need a D1 licence. Strip out the seats and it may be considered as a van (drivable on a normal car licence) but that doesn't answer the insurance question.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

the bus has 15 seats so yea i was thinking i could take a few out and leave 8. I'll call up my insureance about the temporary commercial insurance. Thanks for your help lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

If I need to use a van, I transfer my insurance off my car, and my insurance company has never given me grief over it. Alternatively, if you have a friend in the motor trade, they may be able to move it for you.

As someone pointed out, the number of seats is the biggest problem, and removing 7 might not work; I'd double check with my local tax office first if I were you; I've found them very helpful in the past about informing me as to what I can and can't drive (was checking about trailers).

Good luck with the conversionl; a few of us looked at doing that last year but gave up on the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Murray13 wrote:
    I have my full licience with catogory C (up to 3500kg)
    Presumably you mean a category B licence. A category C licence is for rigid trucks over 3,500kgs (C1 up to 7,500kgs).
    Fey! wrote:
    the number of seats is the biggest problem, and removing 7 might not work
    Provided the Transit has a gross vehicle weight of less than 3,500kgs, and has 8 passenger seats or less, it may be driven on a category B licence (provided, of course, insurance in in order).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 wexdub

Murray13 wrote:
    the bus has 15 seats so yea i was thinking i could take a few out and leave 8. I'll call up my insureance about the temporary commercial insurance. Thanks for your help lads.
    all u got to do is ask a motor trade worker to drive it to you house they are coverd to drive it

Advertisement