Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OECD stats show Ireland's uptake is doing very well

Options
  • 24-04-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.oecd.org/document/7/0,2340,en_2649_34223_38446855_1_1_1_1,00.html

Not a lot done (thanks DCMNR and ComReg) and tonnes more to do but our growth rate actually surpassed most EU countries this time round. Still at 23rd place though.

Country | Net Increase per 100
    Denmark 6.97
    Netherlands 6.60
    New Zealand 5.94
    Norway 5.88
    Ireland 5.80
    Sweden 5.78
    Hungary 5.54
    Luxembourg 5.52
    Australia 5.46
    France 5.16
    United Kingdom 5.15
    Finland 4.84
    Poland 4.51
    Switzerland 4.46
    Belgium 4.31
    Czech Republic 4.26
    Germany 4.10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

So demand is the problem here, right?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

cgarvey wrote:
    So demand is the problem here, right?!!

According to the eircom bagmenTIF. eircom should be coming out soon if not already and saying those stats are old and current stats will show we are better etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

My scenario is that I've been living at home for the past 6 months and trying to organise broadband for my parents.

Tried 1 way Satellite with SkyDSL but it didn't speed up website surfing that much and because of the costs we got rid of it and also a wireless operator moved into the area.

Tried Wireless with Last Mile. Applied in January and they called out today which is about 3 months and we have no Line of Sight. We get a very weak signal.

eircom are supposed to be enabling the local Rahan exchange but we don't have any idea when that will happen.

On top of my parents wanting it, when brothers and sisters come home, there are 4 qualified IT Professionals (most with Degrees in Computer Science or Software development) in the house and my little brother who has dropped out of college and is looking for other IT courses he can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There has been one major factor behind the recent growth spurt:
    Eircom's becoming less of a factor for many people i.e. every month more of us are in a position where we can dump them!

Digiweb Metro (and other similar wireless offerings)
    and an increase in the availability of broadband on the cable networks since UPC has taken over NTL and Chorus is already having an impact.

I think cable internet access will drive demand very rapidly, particuarly as it can cut out line rental charges using VoIP either from UPC (NTL/Chorus) itself or from the likes of Blueface.

Also, there's been an explosive growth in internet usage here too since "web 2.0" applications have taken off .. particularly youtube and bebo. Suddenly broadband's not optional.

There's still a *LONG* way to go, but at least the signs are things are getting a bit healthier.

Personally, I think NTL and Chorus' utter failure to enter the broadband market in any meaninful way had an enormous impact. We had a unique position where the cable companies didn't have to innovate as they had monopolistic access to BBC/ITV etc. All that's changed since UK channels have gone onto sky. They're now having to really look seriously at 'tripple play' (tv, broadband + phone). I'm really hoping UPC has a very significant impact, they're definitely putting money into the network now for the first time in decades.

Cable access has driven demand in the UK, US and elsewhere. It's certainly driven up average speeds as cable networks have always provided decent access speeds which has driven telephone companies towards ADSL2+ and faster speeds. Sadly, despite huge cable penitration rates in Ireland, no one invested in the technology and clung onto providing crappy analogue TV!

The tide's turning and eircom's stranglehold is starting to loosen (ever so slightly). So, fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No comparison between cable operator "phone" and Blueface. Totally different VOIP characteristics. One nearly like regular line, the other worse than bad cellular. Indeed it is great UPC is doing what NTL and Chorus should have done 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Solair wrote:
    The tide's turning and eircom's stranglehold is starting to loosen (ever so slightly). So, fingers crossed!

I think you'll find it is the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Solair wrote:
    There has been one major factor behind the recent growth spurt:
    Eircom's becoming less of a factor for many people i.e. every month more of us are in a position where we can dump them!

Digiweb Metro (and other similar wireless offerings)
    and an increase in the availability of broadband on the cable networks since UPC has taken over NTL and Chorus is already having an impact.

[...]

Personally, I think NTL and Chorus' utter failure to enter the broadband market in any meaningful way had an enormous impact. We had a unique position where the cable companies didn't have to innovate as they had monopolistic access to BBC/ITV etc. All that's changed since UK channels have gone onto sky. They're now having to really look seriously at 'triple play' (tv, broadband + phone). I'm really hoping UPC has a very significant impact, they're definitely putting money into the network now for the first time in decades.
    I would largely agree with this overview. Unfortunately the lack of competing platforms has forced us down a disastrous attempt at using regulation in place of proper competition. What we are seeing, however, is the beginnings of proper competition in the form of wireless from Digiweb and some of the mobile companies as well as some movement from UPC. This, in turn, will force Eircom to make better use of their network. We have seen in the past that when competing options are announced, Eircom are quick to announce future upgrades.

watty wrote:
    No comparison between cable operator "phone" and Blueface. Totally different VOIP characteristics. One nearly like regular line, the other worse than bad cellular. Indeed it is great UPC is doing what NTL and Chorus should have done 10 years ago.

Blueface VoIP is very good over a decent connection. I can't tell the difference between normal PSTN and a good quality blueface connection. The major factor is the upload speed. Most DSL packages sub 3mbit/s have fairly shakey upload speeds and that can kill VoIP. Same goes for most of the wireless options.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It can be OK, but most BB in this country simply is not up to it. The G.729 needs less than 10Kbps. Blueface etc run across the vague "cloud" who knows what Internet. Magnet fibre/LLU, Smart LLU, Metro and UPC Cable VOIPs on their own networks as in theory in a different class. The VOIP only goes on one QOS manged net to a local gateway.

Anyway it gets away from the point except to illustrate that eircoms strangle hold on bitstream ensures people need to use line rental and analogue call services, and that very over the broadband is not great despite what speed it may go at.

• Advertisement

Blueface peer on the INEX and with various ISPs so the quality of service is usually pretty good depending on who your ISP is as it will impact upon the routing.

I'm having absolutely no problems at all with them on a 3mbit/s pack from UTV. Call quality's absolutely perfect and stable all the time.

What I am saying about the strangle hold being somewhat loosened is that Digiweb is actually running a "ditch your line rental" type campaign and it IS attracting people over.

Also, UPC (Chorus & NTL) are currently in the process of a major network rebuild which will mean that you're going to start seeing major improvements to the availability of cable broadband and telephony. It's opening up new options and giving eircom a swift kick up the ... which is long over due!

In the UK, France and US the cable industry were always the broadband trail blazers, DSL followed afterwards, usually with an inferior product. In Ireland it's been the other way around which is very odd.

Eircom might be tightening its grip on the fixed line / PSTN stuff but fingers crossed the alternatives do serious damage! Might bring down line rental!!

Advertisement