Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

halo 3 beta video leaked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Now thats lookin more like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

Wow looks amazing :D Thanks for the vid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

As an avid Halo fan, that video disgusts me. Not that I expected better, but it really just is halo 2 with a skin. Yes, it's a beta, I know, but GOD it just sickens me. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was it just me or was the video quality poor?

I liked to look of the level but its just halo 2 as above

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One very big 'meh' from me. Not even remotely impressive visually and with the same Halo 2 gameplay we are all sick of by now. Looks like a Wii game, a bad Wii game at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I really hope it looks better than that when it comes out. I thought that Beta would be a much higher standard than that vid.

I'm not going to take part in the Beta myself, I want to play the real deal when it arrives. Halo 2 is still one of my favourite games, I'm hoping Halo 3 lives up to the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

that video doesn't make me regret trading in crackdown at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Looks like some bog standard deathmatch with red and blue mater chief clones running around the palce. I mean would it really kill bungie to add in some different player skins ffs?? There are ways of differentiating between friend and foe now without having to be f*cking red or blue, you dont get enemy troops in battlefield 2 or something wearing bright blue uniforms so you know who to shoot ffs. Welcome to 2007 Bungie, this isnt Quake 3 ffs.

0ubliette wrote:
    Looks like some bog standard deathmatch with red and blue mater chief clones running around the palce. I mean would it really kill bungie to add in some different player skins ffs?? There are ways of differentiating between friend and foe now without having to be f*cking red or blue, you dont get enemy troops in battlefield 2 or something wearing bright blue uniforms so you know who to shoot ffs. Welcome to 2007 Bungie, this isnt Quake 3 ffs.

I loled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

0ubliette wrote:
    Its also not Battlefield 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm impressed at this video just as much as i'm impressed by the "great" music that accompanies it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Wow,they really put the 360's power to use for halo 3. I actually though i was watching halo 2 for a while..... Pathetic attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its also not Battlefield 2

I wasnt saying its battlefield 2, im only stating that every single solitary fps out there is able to have two opposing sets of players that are easily identifiable as friend or foe without having to resort to having one team all in blue and the other red, and every single player in the same character skin. Christ, make one team covenant, the other spartans & marines, there doesnt have to be any distinct advantage between the two, but it would make for a better looking game at least than a bunch of red and blue master chief clones running around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Shrink any video down and fill it full of artifacts from compression and it will look like sh*t.

gearsofware32006pic2ft4.jpg

From: http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/78/gearsofware32006pic3gn3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The beta is just to test the game play and maps, and therefore they haven't made an effort on the graphics for something that's only going to be played for a short amount of time. According to Bungie themselves
    ..is that the longer we're spending resources taking care of the beta, the less time we're applying what we've learned from it to the final game
    and regarding the rest of the maps
    All are geometry complete, but they're being polished and tuned for graphics and gameplay ‘til the last minute

I'm sure you all know a beta is just used to test gameplay etc and is not intended to show off graphics, that's usually what demos are for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Snore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Jip wrote:
    The beta is just to test the game play and maps, and therefore they haven't made an effort on the graphics for something that's only going to be played for a short amount of time. According to Bungie themselves and regarding the rest of the maps

I'm sure you all know a beta is just used to test gameplay etc and is not intended to show off graphics, that's usually what demos are for.

Tenner bets the final game will only look marginally better than the beta!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jip wrote:

Then they've a lot of work ahead of them. I never played a demo where the finished product was vastly improved visually over the demo. AS for video compression being the problem, how come I'm still impressed by youtube footage of lost odyssey and blue dragon but not impressed at all by this. Looks like GoW hasn't any rivals for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Then they've a lot of work ahead of them. I never played a demo where the finished product was vastly improved visually over the demo. AS for video compression being the problem, how come I'm still impressed by youtube footage of lost odyssey and blue dragon but not impressed at all by this. Looks like GoW hasn't any rivals for a while.
    cause that would be a demo, Halo 3 BETA is not a demo - it is a beta test possibly 6 months before the game is to come out.

They have, apparently, finished the actually single player game, and the multiplayer is almost done - just needing some polish to certain game play mechanics - so they have plenty of time to touch up the visuals. Halo 3 is going to look great, i have no doubt about that, but i also don't particularly care. I want a game that PLAYS well.

I really wish they had not bothered with the Beta - too many people moaning, long before the game is actually finished.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    cause that would be a demo, Halo 3 BETA is not a demo - it is a beta test possibly 6 months before the game is to come out.

They have, apparently, finished the actually single player game, and the multiplayer is almost done - just needing some polish to certain game play mechanics - so they have plenty of time to touch up the visuals. Halo 3 is going to look great, i have no doubt about that, but i also don't particularly care. I want a game that PLAYS well.

I really wish they had not bothered with the Beta - too many people moaning, long before the game is actually finished.

Beta, demo same difference and putting it in bold doesn't solidify your point. A beta is used to tweak certain things in the final game and therefore Halo 3 should look a hell of a lot better than this. The simple fact of the matter is that the game looks awful for such a big name game and Bungie have only until October to sort things out so don't be expecting any big changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Have to say I'm not impressed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Beta, demo same difference and putting it in bold doesn't solidify your point. A beta is used to tweak certain things in the final game and therefore Halo 3 should look a hell of a lot better than this. The simple fact of the matter is that the game looks awful for such a big name game and Bungie have only until October to sort things out so don't be expecting any big changes.

I'm not a Halo fanboy but it's not the same difference, a demo is a demonstration of the finished product, a beta is used, as has been already said, to test certain aspects of gameplay. And the simple matter of fact is that this is not the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

To be honest,I haven't been impressed at all with anything of Halo 3 yet..
    Loved the first one, second one was a complete letdown (especially the single-player)..
    Presentation-wise, the game doesn't look anything remotely near the top of the pile and I would be surprised if it changed significantly between now and its release.
    But the one-thing that worries me about the title is the lack of real info and details regarding the single-player aspect (i.e. the MAIN GAME). It appears that Bungie may be far to focused on the multiplayer end as nearly all the leaks, details, videos, screenshots are all reflecting on the this end. This may be because of the upcoming beta, or not.
    Never been grabbed by the multiplayer of Halo 2 (although I know lots were) and its looks like the beta is not going to do anything to advance the genre........so if Bungie just knock out some Halo 2.5 (whatever happened to that by the way??) with an average multiplayer game, they may well be facing a lot of flak (although I'm sure sales will be healthy).

Real progress in the FPS genre is being seen already on the 360 in previews with the likes of Bioshock, but certainly a lesser-hyped title such as Crysis on the PC is showing the way forward for the genre.....displaying real progressions both in graphics tech and gameplay mechanics. Everything seen about said title blows Halo 3 away in every possible way, obviously that kind of progression comes at a higher cost than a 360 with Halo 3, but in the end its about enjoying the game you're playing and both games could well be head to head on release.

But, we're looking into the future, and Bungie may well be hiding something up their sleeves with regards to the main game (possibly to prevent cloning), but such a hyped title will surely have to deliver something special and new and as we've frequently seen, that rarely happens..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Have to say Meh. But who knows it could be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Relax, it's a beta, they will be here in six months. Easy. :p

Personally, I will reserve judgment until I am playing the retail version (because I am away from my 360 for the beta :( ) but I wouldn't expect massive improvements at this stage.

McDermotX wrote:
    Real progress in the FPS genre is being seen already on the 360 in previews with the likes of Bioshock, but certainly a lesser-hyped title such as Crysis on the PC is showing the way forward for the genre.....displaying real progressions both in graphics tech and gameplay mechanics. Everything seen about said title blows Halo 3 away in every possible way, obviously that kind of progression comes at a higher cost than a 360 with Halo 3, but in the end its about enjoying the game you're playing and both games could well be head to head on release.

But, we're looking into the future, and Bungie may well be hiding something up their sleeves with regards to the main game (possibly to prevent cloning), but such a hyped title will surely have to deliver something special and new and as we've frequently seen, that rarely happens..
    erm....Crysis less hyped.... WHAT!? I know people who would kill their mothers to own this game now!

Relax, it's a beta, they will be here in six months. Easy. :p

Personally, I will reserve judgment until I am playing the retail version (because I am away from my 360 for the beta :( ) but I wouldn't expect massive improvements at this stage.
    Didn't bungie say that the video that image was from was made using the game engine - or was that the one that was done by a seperate production company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

Tauren wrote:
    erm....Crysis less hyped.... WHAT!? I know people who would kill their mothers to own this game now!
    i'm one of those, can't wait for crysis and i really do hope bungie have something in the bag cos that video looks below par to be honest, i hope the in game graphic are as good as the last pic attached in this forum as regards to halo 2 with a shiny bubble effect and gun!

if this game isin't someething special it will be severly overshadowed by the big developers throughout the year.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote:
    Didn't bungie say that the video that image was from was made using the game engine - or was that the one that was done by a seperate production company?

That screenshot in using the in game engine. NOT the trailer with the MC using the bubble shield, which is pre-rendered footage from a different studio.

Advertisement