Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Mass Effect until September?

• 24-04-2007 12:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this on GameSpot:
    Mass Effect delayed until September? Source: See below. 930279_20051004_thumb001.jpg
    What we heard: There's little question that Mass Effect is among the most anticipated role-playing games of the year. The Xbox 360-exclusive title is the first sci-fi game from legendary Canadian BioWare since its celebrated Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. (KOTOR II was developed by Obsidian Entertainment.)
    Though totally Jedi-free, the reportedly 40-hour-long outer space adventure has a party-based combat system and Forcelike powers, similar to KOTOR. Its aesthetic is reminiscent of the classic pen-and-paper RPG Star Frontiers, and its homicidal machine-race storyline is a cross between author Fred Saberhagen's Berserker novels and the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica. In other words, it's nerd catnip.
    Given its various elements and detailed next-gen graphics, Mass Effect has had gaming sci-fi fans salivating since it was first announced in 2005. That enthusiasm reached a crescendo in February, when the Australian edition of the official Xbox Web site listed the game as shipping on May 18. Though the listing was quickly pulled down, the general assumption has been that BioWare would try to replicate KOTOR's success by releasing the game months before the annual fall release avalanche.
    Unfortunately, today came signs that Mass Effect may be cooling its jets until late in the year. A report on Computer & Video Games claims that during a Microsoft event in the UK today, word emerged that the RPG won't be released until September. This date was further backed up by the Mass Effect product page on EBgames.com, which now has the game shipping on September 3.
    The official story: Mass Effect publisher Microsoft Games Studios' response was swift...and not particularly helpful. "We have not made any official announcements regarding release timing for Mass Effect," a rep said. "At this time, any information about the game's release date is purely rumor and speculation."
    Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus that it's been delayed, since it technically never had an official release date. However, the EBgames.com listing indicates a September release is now likely.
    :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

This topic deserves a response. I'm gutted by this, I start final year in Uni in september so this isn't going to get the attention it deserves and would have gotten if they released it sooner, which was implied, if not given a solid date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It's not confirmed, MS claimed they haven't announced a date and Bioware aren't commenting. September would be a pretty crappy time to release it (considering other big name releases), hopefully it'll be out before then. MS will want to release it at the right time to maximise sales (ie don't release it near Halo 3, release that with nothing else "buffering" it because it will just cut into sales for other games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Is it wrong that I'm not a Halo fan!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Vegeta wrote:
    Is it wrong that I'm not a Halo fan!!

Yes :D

Comment from Bioware's community coordinator btw:
    Ok. I am obviousy not making myself clear to everyone. I will try one more time. I had thought that by denying it, I was, well, denying it. But I am obviously not making myself clear.

We do not yet have a release date. That means any projected date you read anywhere other than this site is incorrect.

To take this one further step, this means that the September release date you are all talking about is not correct. Currently we do not have a release date for September. If you read a release date for May, it is not correct. We do not have a release date for May. Same for June, July, August, October, November, December and all of 2008 (just to be very clear).

I have said this in the past (if you doubt, please try the search feature), but I will say it again just to be, again, very clear. The project is not delayed. Everything is going well. Are there bugs or problems still? Yes, there always are at this stage of production. Are they being fixed? Yes, they are being fixed as they always are at this stage of production. Are we done yet? No, but work is continuing. Are you on track? Yes, we are on track.

So, hopefully this time I have been extremely clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Thanks Koneko!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I wish that they'd hurry up and announce a date.
    I have to get prepared.

Just before this game comes out I'll have to quit my job, dump girlfriend, stockpile food and drink, and alienate all friends and family.

I don't want anything disturbing me for a good week or so!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,269 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

koneko wrote:
    Comment from Bioware's community coordinator btw:
    just because a date has not been confirmed, does not mean that a projected date has not been set, and i would not be surprised if it was September.

Not really surprised though, never expected it to be released in may, or even june/july for that matter; always thought August/September was more likely.

Tauren wrote:
    just because a date has not been confirmed, does not mean that a projected date has not been set, and i would not be surprised if it was September.

I never claimed otherwise. Could be september, could be earlier, could even be later. Their projected date was originally set earlier than September. Until Bioware release a date, nothing is definite, people all over the web just seemed to be assuming this September rumour was definite. I'll be keeping an eye on Bioware's forum in any case.

Advertisement