Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Parking from 2008

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

The main requirement of paying for parking spaces is to discourage those who do not have any great need to park in UCD, i.e. "park-and-riders", those living nearby, and those with adequate public transport options, leaving spaces for those who have no other choice. I'm sure there is plenty of space for this last group if the previously mentioned groups could be penalised sufficiently to discouage their use of the UCD carparks.

The only way I can see past this is to have large hourly fees, similar to carparks in the city centre, while students and staff, who can prove that they have no other choice pay a small yearly fee instead.It would take a little bit of effort, but would surely reduce the stress of driving and parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You'd have the same situation as you do with undergraduate accommodation, where people apply with false addresses in order to get a pass. Still wouldn't work. Sorry, this place has made me cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Blush_01 wrote:
    You'd have the same situation as you do with undergraduate accommodation, where people apply with false addresses in order to get a pass. Still wouldn't work. Sorry, this place has made me cynical.

You're right, a few dishonest people can ruin it for everyone, and this place has made me cynical too. Luckily I'll be gone in less than three weeks and won't have to care anymore... there's no point in worrying about these things that don't really affect me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Living far away is a stupid way to decide who gets on campus. If you're not going to commute then you'll be getting somewhere in Dublin. So person A and B both need somewhere to live in Dublin, why should one get preference over the other because they live farther away - they are both getting somewhere in Dublin regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

It's a hell of a lot better than the previous system whereby it could be abused by those who knew the right people. At least this way it's a predefined system where everyone knows the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

If you live far enough from college to deserve a parking space, you'd be paying more than 500 a year on public transport anyway, so it's worth it.
    I pay 80 a month and I only live in Malahide.

Advertisement