Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private testers sounder than the public guys?

Options
  • 24-04-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Having passed on my 4th attempt :rolleyes: last week in Navan, I found the private guys to be very nice, and the whole thing seemed more relaxed, in and out in 20 minutes - I've found the previous 3 testers to be stuffy and generally seemed out to get me. Anyone else had differing experiences between the public and private guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I've heard they're a lot more easy going from anyone who's done a test with them. Although the guy who passed me in the DoE centre in Finglas was a very nice guy as well. Really helped put me at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Is there a way to specify that you want a private one?

I am sick to death of the whole thing,

I am driving 5 years failed 2 tests,

And tbh I just cant be arsed applying again,

Both experiences were just horrible, two complete ignorant pricks.

I have never so much as come close to an accident and i drive every day.

But anyway /rant over

WellyJ wrote:
    Is there a way to specify that you want a private one?

No.

I'd advise applying again. I failed twice myself and was totally dejected, but passed the 3rd time. Did you fail by many points each time?

Make sure you have a decent instructor as well. A good many of them will do you more harm than good in their lessons.
    WellyJ wrote:
    I have never so much as come close to an accident and i drive every day.

Not passing comment on your own driving ability, but there are a great many people who avoid accidents but still drive like crap and make life more stressful for other road users. Not being in an accident isn't the only measure of a competent driver. Like I said, get yourself a good instructor. I've had some terrible ones, but had a good one for the last test and passed without any worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Actually, the first time i took it i failed by a whisker,

Cant remember it exactly but it was by the smallest margin imaginable,

And the second time (I'm embarrassed to say) my car NCT was out of date by 2 days,

I hadn't checked it, but had just assumed it was in date,

When he told me i couldn't take it i just wanted to hit him to be honest :p

The total frustration this caused me is why i just don't want to go back through the pretests and getting time of work etc.

But i think I will apply now,

Any recommendations for a good instructor that will take me around the Raheny test route?

Temple School of Motoring are based in Raheny and they're excellent - http://www.drivewithtemple.com/ . I had Donald for one lesson but unfortunately he had to go to hospital for something, so I wasn't able to get more lessons between that one and my test. What impressed me was he had actually referred to the guidelines that the testers used (not sure where he got them), so he knew what they were looking for in all cases. None of the bull**** advice some instructors give you that you could just as easily get from someone down the pub without paying €35 - €40.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

First (Public) test in Ennis. Tester was dour and intimidating guy.

Second (Private) test in Fonthill, Dublin and tester was really sound. She was chatty and quite informal and I passed.

Dunno if this is the norm though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I just passed my test during the week, had an SGS tester and found her very friendly, Introduced herself to me offer a handshake also.
    She made a point of telling me she's not allowed to take to me durning the test and that I shouldn't take it as a bad thing.
    done my bike test last august, can't eactly remember how the guy was but I remember he did seem a lot more intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the private testers have to be nice, to keep their jobs, the public ones are still going to be employed,manners or not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 brunette

has anyone gone throught the process of making a complaint about a tester? how? what was the outcome? etc

What's your complaint?

Also, there's a "New Thread" button at the top of every forum for when you want to ask a new question.

Edit: Just saw your post on a different thread. I doubt you'd get very far with your complaint, the instructors are told to talk to people as little as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I was tested by SGS in Galway last month. It was my first test and I passed so ive never encountered the Dept. of Transport guys but the SGS tester was very sound.

Very professional the have he delivered instructions and made the whole thing very relaxing. He even took the time after to go through my blue marks which they don't have to. He seemed genuinely interested in passing on a bit of advice!

He even took the time after to go through my blue marks which they don't have to.

The Department of Transport people do as well if you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Had heard from others I work with this wasnt their experience... maybe it varies from tester to tester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Had my first test with normal crowd in Tallaght last October. Tester was a bit intimidating (in a school-teacher kinda way!). Failed the test (14 blue marks).
    Had second test today with SDS. Tester was as sound as they come. Passed the test with only two marks against me!!
    To be honest I think I drove exactly the same today as I did the first time. So I don't know whether the first guy was too harsh, the second guy was too lenient or somewhere in between. But I don't care cause I passed!!!!

Advertisement