Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Membership refund

Options
  • 24-04-2007 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Not sure if this should go in here or in consumer area but here goes anyway.....

I recently moved and started looking at golf clubs eventually plumped for the local one.... went in and asked what the format was for joining and was told fill in the form give us €1900 and the form goes up on the board for 2 weeks thats it....

Did this at end of March and still haven't heard anything from them. Not a thing not even a letter or phone call to say that your a member, here is the fixture list etc etc etc.I started speaking to some local people and decided that I was withdrawing my application.

So goes into the golf club office only to be told 'oh well the committee will have to discuss this'. Funnily enough the cheque for the initial joining fee etc was cashed on the same day. I asked for someone to call me to discuss this and 24 hours later still nothing.

To say I am spitting bullets is an understatement. Does anyone know how I stand on this ?

I am raging as no one is calling me and the girl in the office doesn't have the right to give me my cash back.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Second one of these today!

Off to consumer issues with you......

S

• Registered Users Posts: 28,506 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Surely they shouldn't cash the cheque until the proposal has been accepted?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Probably means they'll accept your application. Happens in a lot of professional bodies too - i'm a member of at least three and one of them charged my card 5 days before accepting my application (a formality i guess!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What did you expect from a golfing commmmiittteeeeeee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭FRM

I eventually got a phone call yesterday from the Treasurer to say 'oh we will discuss it this evening at the committee meeting but a cheque will be in the office for you to pick up tomorrow'. Surprise surprise no cheque this morning to be picked up.

I sent an email off to the Leinster Branch of the GUI who contacted the Club and said the Honorary Sec would contact me. Funnily enough he hasn't.

The thing that really is bugging me are the foillowing two things....

Firstly they cash the cheque on the very day it is handed in.... but when I withdraw my application it takes their own time to refund nearly 2k....

Secondly I have been a member of a number of clubs in the UK and Ireland and have never dealt with such a disorganised club.

Anyway the saga hopefully will come to an end today but I'm not holding my breath. I might have to use my media contacts yet !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You are probably well within your rights to claim the money back from them. If it was me this happened to. Id take a 5 iron to the feckers car and their trophy case.

Advertisement