Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you plant here?

Options
  • 24-04-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

Though I was initially pleased that the old derelict house across our back wall was being renovated I didn’t think the extension would be quite so imposing. It’s all within the planning exemption regulations so all I can do is try to minimise the impact with planting. The back garden is a real suntrap and I don’t want to block too much of it out. I’m also not a fan of the auld leylandii. Bearing in mind that that my house is in an estate and that back wall is only about 25 feet (I'm guessing!) from the back of the house what would you plant?
    I’m a bit of a novice at this gardening business.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is that really exempt?
    Wow.

Have you spoken to them about it at all?

anywho, its a bit of a tough one as most things that are high enough to block that will also be wide and eat into your garden...
    I would put some bamboo/wicker fencing up the wall (and a foot or two hihghr) and then plant some climbers beneath it, they will soon cover up most of the wall/fence and give you a much nicer broken up effect...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

There's a tree in this thread I though was very nice:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055078200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Yes I actually spoke to the planning enforcement office this morning and it does look like it meets the regulations i.e. < 40 sq m, no higher than the existing house and the window is more than 3 ft from the boundary. He pointed out that it's not a huge extension so legally it's ok but unfortunately the regulations don't force people to have good manners! It would have been nice for him to at least speak to us first. However as far as I know he intends renting the property so I imagine he doesn't give a rats.
    I've kept schtum until now as I had assumed it was going to be a flat roof which wouldn't have been so bad but then I saw the rafters going up this morning.:eek: I imagine this won't do the value of our property much good.

You see I'm trying to focus on nice trees/ shrubs to keep the blood from boiling over :D

The califormian lilac does look nice.

Actually there was a bit of misinformation in my first post. I'd say the distance between house and back wall is 30- 35 ft so there;s a wee bit more leeway there (though I can't find the tape measure so I'm still guessing!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

I'm no expert but for an extension/structure to not require planning permission, it needs to be under a certain height. From the picture, that extension (particulary with rafters) looks way too big

quote from here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/planning-permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house

"Capped walls made of brick, stone or block, wooden fences but not security fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height or two metres at the side or rear. Gates may be build provided they do not exceed 2 metres in height. Permission is always required to if you wish to widen or create new access to the public road"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

miles teg wrote:
    I'm no expert but for an extension/structure to not require planning permission, it needs to be under a certain height. From the picture, that extension (particulary with rafters) looks way too big

quote from here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/planning-permission/planning_perm_altering_a_house

"Capped walls made of brick, stone or block, wooden fences but not security fences can be erected as long as they do not exceed 1.2 metres in height or two metres at the side or rear. Gates may be build provided they do not exceed 2 metres in height. Permission is always required to if you wish to widen or create new access to the public road"

The extension seems to be within the limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

You could put a trellis (3ft) ontop of your wall and then put a climber on it say a clematis. That should not take much light away from you rather than a tree could take up more light away.

Thanks Miles Teg but i'd say that's talking about the height of boundary walls rather than the extension.
    Here's the Mayo Co co regulations and as far as I can see the building is (amazingly) within the regs.

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Planning/ToolsReference/ExemptedDevelopment/NewSelfAssessment/ExtensionsGarages/

I think the angle of the photo makes the extension look higher than the main house but it isn't. The fact that it's diagonal to our back wall doesn't help.

As I said I've been just trying to whistle a happy tune all morning!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be planting something up against your wall anyway, to cover it; it looks very bare.

and the extension won't look quite so off-putting when it's finished.

i'd be planting something up against your wall anyway, to cover it; it looks very bare.
    and the extension won't look quite so off-putting when it's finished.

Yes that was my plan now that I've got the front garden sorted and my digging muscles have recovered! :D I just want to get the "type" of planting right considering the new background scenery.
    You're right it won't look so bad when it's finished and painted (me hopes).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

kinda hard to tell from the photo how far the extension is from your back wall; might be worth asking your neighbour to plant something on his side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't panic about it too much, something similar happened to us and we are getting round it. First how high is your wall, would it be feasible to put another two rows of blocks on it? If you can't, or prefer not to, you could put sections of trellis along the top of the wall while things are growing, but they soon deteriorate especially if climbers get onto them.

Either way I would wire the wall and grow something like Solanum jasminoides alba on it. This is a vigorous and quick growing climber (needs strong support, wires are better than trellis) with a bright white flower and is in flower for a long period of the summer. You could put in a couple of clematis too - the large flowered summer variety and they will eventually grow through the solanum and look very attractive

Then in the corner where the house roof will look most noticeable plant a tree in your lawn, maybe a crab-apple, or an acer (not a sycamore!) something variagated or red perhaps (be a bit careful, some of them are more vigorous than you would want), or a silver birch or Mountain Ash. Treat yourself to a well-grown one so it doesnt take too long to do the job. Just one won't take up too much garden. Don't put it too near the wall or the shed. Once you have something to look at it will distract your eye from the new building and it won't be so annoying. You don't have to block it out entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Awful imposition on your neighbours. Have you checked is he planning to put a window in the roof space facing out ?

That could be a tricky thing to deal with for you

I've also noticed there's some tiles off the main roof. Is that anything to do with a velux window being installed which might also overlook you?

Thanks all,

Reyman, it doesn't look like there'll be a window in the roof space..i.e there isn't a space at the minute for stairs to go up to it, unless it's cut out later. The few tiles are off the main roof because they put a new chimney in so the tiles around that area were taken off. So I think we're safe enough there (then again nothing would surprise me).

Looksee and others, thanks for the planting tips, all duly noted. I love the idea of one tree there. How far out from the wall and shed would it need to be? (sorry I really am a novice :o )

looksee wrote:
    Don't panic about it too much, something similar happened to us and we are getting round it. First how high is your wall, would it be feasible to put another two rows of blocks on it?

That's a 4" block wall by the look of it. It's already 4-5' high so borderline with the regulations (max 4'). So best to forget about raising it any higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

About six to eight feet from both the shed and the wall. Dig a good big hole and mix some compost through the soil that you will put back to encourage the tree to put roots out. Solid stake about a foot away from the tree and a proper tree tie. Loads of water.

Advertisement