Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Venis Fly Trap plants,

Options
  • 24-04-2007 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently bought two Venis Fly Trap plants, I am lead to believe that they are tough going to keep alive.
    Anyway I wanted to ask can I water them with water from a condensor dryer, seems like a dumb question but would this be a very clean source of water as tap water seems to kill them/

thanks all

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've had a venus fly trap for two and a half years now which has never been watered with anything other than tap water, and it's still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ive had a couple and was told to use rainwater only for them, nove of them survived though, I think I may have over watered them. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know if it's possible to do that; i leave mine sitting in an inch of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Their close cousins the sundew, live natively here in Ireland in acidic boggy conditions. Maybe it's the pH of the tap water in some areas that might be the problem?

sounds distinctly possible; do you have hard water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭nuada

Venus fly traps are basically bog plants, so I think it's pretty impossible to over water them. Tap water will do them no good however as it tends to be too basic. I think the main reason they die is from over-attention. Rainwater i'd say would be best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I had a venus fly trap for two or three years, until about two years ago. I only used rain water. I think I found it hard to source rain water the summer before last!

It was a small one and I used to stand it up to its neck in rainwater in a small aluminium takeaway dish. I was sad to see it go.

I suppose, out of desparation I could have tried saving it with tap water, but didn't occur to me at the time. tch.

You can't over water them, they are boggy type plants.

If I was you, I'd use the forecasted rainy weather to build up a stock of water for it. Get out a few buckets and pots an' pans!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Will do thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I fed them catapillars last night , great fun it was too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

i just bought seeds off ebay. wow, they sound like tempramental little bast*rds.

they don't like tapwater!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

probably depends where you live I use tap water on mine because I have a natural spring from a hill below a bog (natural spring bog water) but tastes great
    It is an acid ph water most water in towns and citys would have a lower ph and probably have clorine added to it

Advertisement