Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay - outbid by negative user

Options
  • 24-04-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭

I had a bid in for an article on ebay (sole bidder) and at the last moment someone with negative feedback made a higher offer. I have now received a message to my ebay inbox stating that the offer was withdrawn to that person and I now have the offer to purchase it. However the purchase price I have been offered is my maximum offer. If the negative feedback user hadn't placed a bid my offer would have been much less.

What are the rules here? Can I get back to the seller and state that I am only willing to pay my initial bid and would they have to accept it or am I only entitled to purchase it at my maximum offer?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

They wouldn't have to accept your original bid. But you don't have to buy it for your maximum either.
    This is a commonish practise by some sellers. They get somebody else to bid too much. This exposes your max bid. Then they withdraw.
    If it was me I'd say no thanks and look to buy it from somebody else. You could check other auctions on eBay by the same seller and see if this is a common occurence with them. If it is, report them to eBay. They'll warn or disable the sellers account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I would offer the amount the bid was whenever this negative user started to bid on the item because this could be just a scam to figure out your highest bid.....or just find another auction

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The user has 100% feedback from 600 auctions, is a power seller and has an ebay shop. It all looks genuine from what I can see.

I'll get onto them and see what they say, it was only €2 extra but it's the principle of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

jester77 wrote:
    I'll get onto them and see what they say, it was only €2 extra but it's the principle of it!

Ah Jayzus!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ah jayzus nothing, ever think you may be the first person to spot this? he could be making a mint off people getting hit like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

WOW! 2 whole euro!!! I could buy 2 shiny new mars bars with that :P

Regardless I would still buy from another seller feck that scammer.

Advertisement