Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter bike for a triathlon

Options
  • 24-04-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to buy a bike for my first go at a triathlon. I'm not sure if ill be taking up the sport seriously so dont want to spend alot on getting a really good bike.

Any idea what my options are? I dont want to spend much more than €500 if at all possible.

Thanks

Hi hunnymonster, I'm all signed up for a race in July and have the swimming and running under control. I need to buy the bike as ill need it for the few months training as well as the race. I'm looking at a few hybrid bikes at the moment but most have front suspension. I'm not keen on the suspension. Does it hinder good times in anyway? Would i be better without it?

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Hi Try this it might be over your limit by a small bit but really not going to get anything some way decent for that money you may want to look at 2nd hand bikes more then new ones.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027214

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

If you're really not sure and you're just going to enter one or two races to get a taste you could try and borrow a bike? Anyone who has been in triathlon for a while generally has a couple. I did my first one on a borrowed bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

If you have a mountain bike even that'll do. I did my first on a mountain bike. Just put skinny tires on it. I overtook loads've people on fancier road bikes. Plenty of others on mountain bikes too, so you won't be alone.

Or as said above, borrow one if you can. If you don't keep up the sport you'd be pretty annoyed after splashing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

I am thinking of doing the Duathlon in the Phoenix Park Next week. I currently have a Hybrid that I use to cycle to and from work. You mentioned skinny tyres... what should I ask for? Currently I have 28x1 5/8 tyres, but they are pretty rugged. If I got slicker tyres, would that really make that much of a diffeence?

I also see folks using the Tri bars. Is it worth getting a pair of these?

Is there anything else I can do to my hybrid to make it more "appropriate"?

Thanks,
    Domer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Domer wrote:
    I am thinking of doing the Duathlon in the Phoenix Park Next week. I currently have a Hybrid that I use to cycle to and from work. You mentioned skinny tyres... what should I ask for? Currently I have 28x1 5/8 tyres, but they are pretty rugged. If I got slicker tyres, would that really make that much of a diffeence?

I also see folks using the Tri bars. Is it worth getting a pair of these?

Is there anything else I can do to my hybrid to make it more "appropriate"?
    I did my first few Phoenix Park Duathlons on a mtn bike with 26x1.3 slick tyres. I didn't have tri bars, I simulated them by putting my elbows on my handlebars (note: metal vs bone - not so comfortable). For the three races I did on the mtn bike I was about 40th out of 100-160 people. So, it's not all about the bike (though getting a racer helped me knock 2 mins off my time).

Pumping your tyres to their recommended pressure (probably just below max) will help. Remove mudguards, lights and other unnecessary accessories (I once saw a guy race with his u-lock still on the bike!).
    If you want you can get narrower tyres (and probably tubes). The shop should be able advise on types appropriate for your commute and for racing. Good luck next week - see you there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement