Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gears slipping--clutch gone?

Options
  • 24-04-2007 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

I've noticed the last month or so that the gears seem to be slipping a lot. I dont mean the physical gear knob slipping, but say id be in 2nd or 3rd gear at maybe 2k RPM,and all of a sudden the revs would fly up to maybe 4k RPM for a few seconds. It's happening more and more frequently these days. Does it sound like the clutch is on the way out or is there anything else it could be?
    Also, any ideas on the price inc. labour to replace one in a 02 Golf.?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Is the clutch very high ?
    Does sound like a dodgy clutch tbh ... would get it checked whenever you can.

A dodgy clutch can slip when you have a bit of torque.

On the offchance you haven't had your ECU remapped or had any other modifications done to the car have you ? Any increase in torque to the engine with the current clutch might not be suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Is there any shudder on acceleration??? When the revs increase suddenly, is there a corresponding increase in vehicle acceleration??? A simple test is find somewhere with a bit of room and put the handbrake on fully. Start up the engine, put the car into first gear and let your foot off the clutch slowly. If there is advanced clutch wear, the engine will probably not stall until the last second before the clutch pedal is fully released. If the clutch is badly worn, you can sometimes have the car in gear and the handbrake on fully and the engine will still run, due to clutch slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It sounds like the clutch to me. If what you describe happens when you have your foot away from the clutch pedal then it is most likely a worn clutch disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

if it was the clutch it would be worse in higher gears, and get worse again the more it slips (from heating)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Tivoli wrote:
    if it was the clutch it would be worse in higher gears, and get worse again the more it slips (from heating)

I would imagine it would be worse in lower gears as there would be more torque.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

maidhc wrote:
    I would imagine it would be worse in lower gears as there would be more torque.

yeah there is alright, but its on the output of the gearbox, the low gear ratio will make it much easier for the input (hence clutch and engine) to turn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually it is less noticable in higher gears as the vehicle is already in motion and has a lot more forward momentum. In lower gears when more torque is required for acceleration, clutch slip will be more obvious. But if the clutch is bad enough it will slip in any gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

yeah it's been slipping in high gears occasionally also, but as you say, it's a lot more obvious when it happens at a low gear. Thanks for the input. Any ideas on average price for a replacement? thanks

Advertisement