Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral Mistakes!!!

Options
  • 24-04-2007 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Talk about feeling like a pratt. During my french oral exam, the examiner asked me what year I was born. I innocently said
    Mille neuf cents soixante huit. I was wondering why she was smirking until I came out and realised I said 1968 instead of 1988!!!

Also, in my Irish oral I was asked about the problem of litter, and kept saying that people are lazy and drop their litter all over the ground, they don't use recycling facilities available, and that there is enough bins for people to put their litter in.
    It was not until after my exam I realised I said that people drop their 'letters' all over the ground, and they are to lazy to put their'letters' in the bin! Ooops!

Anyone else make a total pratt of themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

As long as its in the right language Im sure youll still get some marks for those. Maybe they though you hated letters ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I said about my palce of residence "Is áit ait é." instead of "deas."

Oops. Also I said about skiing, when asked if we went high on the mountain, "Chuaigheamar ar na... slópaí... éasca."

But it was no big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Loads of people came out saying how they mixed up basic Irish responses with French. "I mo thuarim" decided to take a day off, being replaced by "á mon avis". "Sea" also went on holidays to be replaced by "oui".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

My biggest problem in French was responding with Oui or Non, instead of the positive or negative verb particular response à la Gaeilge.
    That and just sorta digging holes that I couldn't get out of easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Hmm....irish oral................

Examiner: "Inis dom faoi tú féin"
    Me: "Inis dom faoi mé féin"

After getting a shake of the head from the examiner, and a slight smirk, I immediately corrected myself and realised what i had done!!
    Also:

Examiner: "Cad a rinne tú an seachtain seo chaite"
    Me: "Fui a espana con mi familia"

Stupidly, without knowing, using a sentence of spanish in the conversation. Again, as soon as i said it I corrected it myself, without a hint off the examiner. Still hoping for at least a B tho :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

My biggest mistake of all was tipping the examiner a mere 20 euro. Allegedly €50 is the standard A1 grasper.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cant remember much of my Irish oral, but I used English place names for a match...the match that I never went to, didnt prepare a single word for it, just mix-and-matched everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

"I have a half-brother and a half-sister. They are both the same age as me."

In fact, they are ten and fourteen years younger than me :p
    When I said their ages, she gave me the strangest look, so I realised what I'd said and corrected myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Steve01 wrote:
    My biggest mistake of all was tipping the examiner a mere 20 euro. Allegedly €50 is the standard A1 grasper.

I misinterpreted the oral bit myself. Apparently its a conversation you're supposed to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rorymcn

This thread is awful!!!! Its done now, there's no point in thinking about them now.

Although before I went in, the examiner said to the lad before me "Dia duit" and he responded "Sea". Made me feel a bit more relaxed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

LOL I was reading through my sliochteanna for the minute, then she messed around with the tape and I said ''will i read it now will i?''
    The look she gave me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I went into Irish and told him I was 16, then apologised, explained I was 17, then said my brother was 8, apologised again and said he was 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

cson wrote:
    I misinterpreted the oral bit myself. Apparently its a conversation you're supposed to have.

Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Heh, the guy who went in before me was asked at the door "Conas ata tu?" to which he reponded "Joeseph is ainm dom." She just laughed and then they disappeared into the room where every now and again I heard him say "aber" instead of "ach".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Best story ever, my friend went into his oral absolutely ****ting himself. He forgot the close the door behind him and she said dun an doras, he replied dun an doras is padraig!!!!! ROFL! She laughed in his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

eZe^ wrote:
    Best story ever, my friend went into his oral absolutely ****ting himself. He forgot the close the door behind him and she said dun an doras, he replied dun an doras is padraig!!!!! ROFL! She laughed in his face.

Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats one of the funniest things I have heard! Couldn't stop laughing when i read it first!!!
    The big question is....did he find it funny afterwards?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As I left my Irish Oral a million years ago, I meant to say 'Go raibh maith agat' as I left the room, but instead said 'Gabh mo leithscéal' - I suppose she thought I'd cut one as I went out of the room.

Scarlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

one i can remember was when i was talking about why i liked rock music and i said : "les paroles sont facultatives"

translation : "the lyrics are optional" :confused:

but i managed to correct myself and say "les paroles sont SIGNIFICANTIVES" (meaningful)
    there was probably plenty more:eek: but thats the only one i can remember right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Steve01 wrote:
    i paid 40 as i didnt have a 50 note... she seemed happy nuff with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

in the irish oral i told her my bro was 25 instead of 15 by mistake and only realised when she went on to ask me if he was working or in college so i decided to keep up the lie and i said he was doing engineering in college.

at the end of the exam she told me to say hello to my mother and my sisters for her, turns out she knew who i was and probably knew i didnt have an older brother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

theliam wrote:
    in the irish oral i told her my bro was 25 instead of 15 by mistake and only realised when she went on to ask me if he was working or in college so i decided to keep up the lie and i said he was doing engineering in college.

at the end of the exam she told me to say hello to my mother and my sisters for her, turns out she knew who i was and probably knew i didnt have an older brother

as long as you said it in correct irish it doesnt matter if its true or not.....ur actually lucky.if ur examiner knows you,she might be tempted to give you a higher mark!! (its a big "might" though!)

my friend said her brother was in 5th year (instead of 5th class in primary school) she realised what she said and then continued "he's 16 and goes to this school" (when hes actually 11!) it was probably better for her to keep going,rather than correcting herself and stalling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

mixed my two brothers names up coz of nervousness, which didnt matter but made me look a bit ridiculous, thinking REALLY hard about the names of my bros/what they do (so i didnt mix them up twice!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭DtotheK

in the irish oral, i was overall pretty happy bar one section: i blanked on the ages of my 4 siblings, and i said X was around 27, Y is around 13 etc and he thought it was funny, " nil me cinnte..." i said..
    but i made the dumb mistake of leaving out the (m)b(h)lian(t)(a) d'aois after their ages.. which i was pissed off about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭óbriain1988

in the irish i said i'd make a good impression by asking him how he was as i was walking in.... he said something, i took a guess and said "táim ceart go leor anois".... he gave a bit of a look but i'm still not sure if it's just paranoia on my part or if he didn't ask the question back....... i said there was a club de peil in my french oral as well..... stupid language anyway, that french.... :mad:

Advertisement