Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects does arts offer?

Options
  • 24-04-2007 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

any chance of telling me the subjects available on the arts coarse and will I get into arts with foundation maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No, you will not get into UCD with foundation maths. check www.ucd.ie for subjects offered within arts. There are over 20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Yea theres no problem as far as I know with doing foundation maths, unless you were taking maths or economics i presume. Courses available include

Economics, History, Philosophy, Psychology, English, Geography, Sociology, Politics.... cant think quite what else you can do, its all changed since I started!

are you sure about foundation maths delta? I thought the only issue was to pass 2 modern languages (Irish counting as one) and then obviously reaching the adequate points. Open to correction though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

you need to get at least a D in Pass maths to qualify for most colleges as far as I know. My brother failed maths and had to resit it again the following year.

as far as I know it goes for Maths, Irish and English

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

FFS nobody should be allowed into university with foundation maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Plenty of people with honours Maths that shouldn't be allowed as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Actually there is no requirement to have pass maths to get into arts.

http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/undergrad_app_2006.htm

That's the list of course entry requirements for UCD courses. Arts is DN012.

So the answer is yes you can do arts with foundation maths. That's why you find people who are borderline fail in honours maths will always have Arts somewhere on the CAO because you can still get in.

Apologies for the wrong information. Then again who actually needs maths ? Especially if you wana do History. Makes sense

Actually afterthought: you do need to pass foundation maths though as without passing English Irish and Maths you don't actually get a leaving cert if I remember what my careers teacher said correctly....

that not passing maths meaning that you fail the leaving cert thing ended years ago, its something my parents had to deal with. you cant "fail" your leaving cert anymore, you can just fail individual subjects.

• Advertisement

Ah the further ineptitude of career guidance councillors.....

And to think that woman was paid to do that job....

Anyone seen Clerks where the Guidance Councillor goes insane because its the most pointless profession in existence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I got in without doing the leaving. But I am special! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Actually there is no requirement to have pass maths to get into arts.

http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/undergrad_app_2006.htm

That's the list of course entry requirements for UCD courses. Arts is DN012.

So the answer is yes you can do arts with foundation maths. That's why you find people who are borderline fail in honours maths will always have Arts somewhere on the CAO because you can still get in.
    wow, points have really plumeted for Commerce, Law and BBLS (I know they are generally down but these seem more dramatic)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Imagine this situation, if you will:

I want to study X. X has nothing to do with maths, as it is language based. However, I suffer from dyscalculia and the university I want to attend demands that I have at least an ordinary level/"pass" qualification in mathematics. I struggle to pass foundation maths and as such am disqualified from doing the course I'm more than fit for, due to my lack of proficiency in a completely unrelated area.

Think that's fair? I don't.

"FFS", nobody should be allowed into university with an attitude that completely disregards variations in capabilities and the application of those capabilities within society, and on a smaller scale within university "society".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

I had dyscalculia before. I was on the toilet for two days!

Or was it two toilets for three days? I can't remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Blush wrote:
    I struggle to pass foundation maths and as such am disqualified...

Foundation Maths Question:

8+8=?

a) 16
    b) 16
    c) 16
    d) 17 (not this one!)

Answer =

(hint: 16)

Ah Fionn bit out of line there.

any chance of telling me the subjects available on the arts coarse and will I get into arts with foundation maths?

Have a quick search here.

Or browse here.

The second is more clear, but if you do specific searches you'll find that there are more subjects in Arts than people realise.

For example:

Here, no mention of Canadian Studies, but:

If you do a quick search, you'll find there is alot more to arts that just the usual.

Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Ah Fionn bit out of line there.
    JC Paper
    LC Paper 1
    LC Paper 2

• Advertisement

Yeah Fionn I'm seeing nothing of that simplicity in the LC papers.

In my opinion (and this is from my vague memories of JC/LC) It's a bit of mix between JC honours and pass covering more of the topics that are done in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

If you're allowed calculators for those exams I think his comment was fair. If not then fair enough, as an absolute minimum standard for mathematics.

A little off topic but....

You are allowed calculators at Junior Cert level. Much to my annoyance.

I tested this on my sister as she was in the first class who did there JC with calculators for maths and sure enough her mental arithmetic is now woeful. Though maths was never her strong point.

Again off topic. Apologies.

humbert wrote:
    If you're allowed calculators for those exams I think his comment was fair. [/URL]

His comment was derogative one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Wow i'm sure the person who posted that question initially won't be coming back any time soon.

His comment was derogative one.

True, but I think there's a fair chance I could have done that paper in primary school(it's a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what standard of maths I had at the time), but I would definitely have found it very easy by junior cert and the fact that no higher standard of maths is required for any college course is a bit difficult for some to swallow.

I know maths isn't required for many courses but a certain standard of education in a few core subjects should be required before starting third level education!

For example if one was to do some pure maths course it wouldn't be necessary for their English to be much better than "txt spk" but would you really consider that acceptable.

Most of us speak English on a daily basis. We need it to communicate on a formal level, if not an informal one. Last time I checked you could survive with basic addition and subtraction skills, and even a calculator can do that for you. So maths is not necessarily necessary for the receipt of a formal 3rd level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I can't add, divide, do fractions or much maths really and yet I still manage to be rather good at Art History and Irish. Shocking. I don't think that people who do Science should have to be good at analysing literature. It’s not relevant.

For some people (like me) maths just makes no sense, it just doesn't work in my head. I'm always amazed at people who can just 'get it', I’ve been awful at in since first class of primary school. Doesn't mean i shouldn't be let into university though.

(By the way I did pass ordinary maths, no idea why though!)

Well if you passed ordinary level you can add etc. Blush, a person could communicate with English no better than the aforementioned "txt spk", time spent on dublinbus has taught me that people do. However, do you believe that it would be an acceptable level of English for a college student. I can accept that different college courses require aptitudes in different areas, but from a purely academic standpoint is it not reasonable to expect a minimum standard in at least maths and English. I've yet to encounter an intelligent person who couldn't pass ordinary level L.C. maths. With the exception of students with disabilities.

• Advertisement

One of the most intelligent people I know had to have grinds to scrape a D in ordinary level maths. She's bright - top of her class. She has excelled in her field in college and is virtually having money thrown at her to do a PhD. I only wish I was as utterly rubbish at maths, to be honest, if that's what the result is.

Humbert, my point was that a formal level of English is used across the board within a university, even in the study of other languages etc. A formal level of maths isn't necessarily. I'm by no means dismissing the importance of Maths. I just don't see how important it is to getting an Arts degree, which is what the OP is talking about, unless he's going to study Maths, Economics or something along that vein.

Advertisement