Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now worse than NYC for junkie scum on the streets?

Options
  • 24-04-2007 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

Hi all, Im just back from New York where I couldnt believe how safer it felt compared to Dublin. All the beggers from years ago seem to be all but gone but more importantly I felt SAFE.

Compare to this to Dublin where walking down Eden quay or O Connell street during the DAY and you'll see or be approached by someone off their head.

How can somewhere like New York now be safer than Dublin?

Anyone else feel we're on the cusp of some major drug/knacker problems in this country?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Saskia wrote:

It's Not
    Saskia wrote:

Anyone else feel we're on the cusp of some major drug/knacker problems in this country?
    No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Saskia wrote:
    Hi all, Im just back from New York where I couldnt believe how safer it felt compared to Dublin. All the beggers from years ago seem to be all but gone but more importantly I felt SAFE.

Compare to this to Dublin where walking down Eden quay or O Connell street during the DAY and you'll see or be approached by someone off their head.

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What part of New York were you in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

Ruu wrote:
    What part of New York were you in?

Manhatten. Not a single Heroin head harrasing us anywhere we went. And we walked all over it and surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

not really but their like zombies in that way, always needing to feed. We have to watch out before theirs too many of them.

Besides if u want to be completely surrounded by homeless crazy people just go to San Fransico in Union Square, although their everywhere u feel completely safe because the place is also mobbed by cops, the SFPD dont f*ck about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

All the heroin users are in their mansions in Long Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

New York safer than Dublin?Lol.

Obviously didn't take a trip to the Bronx, though you apparently walked "all over it".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Saskia wrote:

Maybe I am walking in the wrong places, but I have never been approached by someone off their head. I have seen a prostitute though. :D
    Saskia wrote:

Because (a) people are actually afraid of the law (b) they have a moderately comptetent police force, not like our bumbling oafs.
    Saskia wrote:

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

rb_ie wrote:
    New York safer than Dublin?Lol.

Obviously didn't take a trip to the Bronx, though you apparently walked "all over it".
    he said he walked all over manhattan... i mean have any of you people critisising the OP ever been to new york? your all just pumped with propaganda and media stories/film/television programs and instantly think that new york is a hole

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Parts of New York are rough as feck - parts of Dublin are rough as feck.
    There's a surprise.

One difference is that most of our junkies do not have access to guns and god knows what other sorts of weapons.

I've always found the boardwalk junkies to be fairly mellow and almost oblivious to 'normal' people around them.

• Advertisement

• I didn't find New York that much dodgier than Dublin either, although when I went (last time was in 2000) there seemed to be lots of nutters in the subway. Might have got better since then. I wouldn't say I felt safe there though - loads of dodgy characters around the Port Authority, on the bus, etc. When you consider the population difference though, you'd think Dublin would feel a hell of a lot safer, and it doesn't.

That wouldn't be comparing like with like. The OP has been all over Manhattan, which is comparable to an American tourist sticking to the city centre and main areas of Dublin. If you want to bring the Bronx into it, then compare it to the stereotypically 'deprived' areas of Dublin like Ballymun and Tallaght if you want a fairer comparison. Every city has bad areas. Although as far as I've seen, the Bronx isn't even that bad in most areas, some areas are actually very nice and upmarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Been to New York, lived in Limerick, Cork and now Swansea. Can safely say Dublin is the dodgiest city I've been as regards to feeling personally safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

I've plenty of experience in both cities. You're still more likely to get offed in NY ... but these days the OP is right you're more likely to get hassled in Dublin. Last year I witnessed two happy slapping skangers do their work on a couple of Dutch tourists. Myself and some other bystanders warded them off but not before they got in our faces with that indecipherable new language they've invented.

America's urban crime reputation and the fact that the Big Apple is America's largest city people tend to think it must be seedy and dangerous. But by American standards NYC is surprisingly safe. Many of the blighted areas of yesteryear have become gentrified. Space is at premium and there has been a property boom. Even once dreadful areas such as the South Bronx and Bedford-Stuyvesant aren't quite the foreboding places they once were. Some of the large Jersey burbs across the Hudson are much worse than anything you will encounter in any of the Boroughs.

You're much safer in NY than in other U.S. cities such as LA, Miami, or D.C.
    tom dunne wrote:
    Because (a) people are actually afraid of the law (b) they have a moderately comptetent police force, not like our bumbling oafs.

I'm not so sure the NYPD are more competent ... more assertive definitely. Certainly more intimidating than the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

tom dunne wrote:
    I have seen a prostitute though. :D

Hope your missus doesn't find out ;)

Never been approached by a junkie either I feel left out. One thing I agree with is that Dublin is more intimidating than most cities I have been to, but thats probably because I was aware I was walking through a dodgy area. Whereas abroad I was just clueless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

i've never been to america.....but i was abroad for a year until last september. when i got back i felt like there were far more beggars around the city than when i left.does anyone else agree? maybe if i had been here the whole time i wouldnt have noticed the gradual increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

beggers and drug addicts are more visable in Dublin when compared with other (larger) foreign citys. The reason is really simple due to the fact of Dublin being such a small city there is more of a overflow between areas that are considered dodgy and safe.

When I was living in Sydney I met another Irish person who said they were so amazed that Sydney didnt seem to have the problems with addicts and beggers as Dublin...... he had never visted the western suburbs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Saskia wrote:
    Manhatten. Not a single Heroin head harrasing us anywhere we went. And we walked all over it and surrounding areas.
    And the coke and crack heads?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

i feal safer in Dublin, i certainly fealt pretty threatend down some subway NY stations at night .
    Last Sunday i took my camera around Dolphins Barn , to snap the scenery, got a few dirty looks and a verbal threat , but i was more frightened that i broke the camera , when i dropped it -- they looked fairly weedy .
    Anyway the results of my expedition to the barn, are on page 1 and 2 , of my flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/

and i lived to tell the tale :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

thebaz wrote:
    Anyway the results of my expedition to the barn, are on page 1 and 2 , of my flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/

and i lived to tell the tale :D

I didn't actually look at your photos of The Barn but don't think for a moment that I'm not very proud of you....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

New York City has about 8 million people and 10 ten times the murder rate of Ireland. Yeah, real safe.

Another example of someone judging an entire city/country on their experience of 2 weeks of the service industry. You just don't know the dangerous areas and assume they're safe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 plasterboard

Saskia wrote:
    Not exactly a random selection of streets there. The couple of blocks between Parnell St. and Eden Quay now have the heaviest permanent concentration of addicts in Ireland. It's the only place they can hang out in the city centre, the flash commercial ventures have generally speaking stayed away. I would say the same thing has happened in New York only you didn't realise it, because they moved the junkies away from where you were used to seeing them. And it's still hard to get shot for your wallet in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Saskia wrote:

Anyone else feel we're on the cusp of some major /knacker problems in this country?

How often do they harass you in Dublin? I could count on one hand the amount of times per year a junkie looks for something off me, and usually its nothing more than the usual "do ya have a euro for a phone call/bus/luas bud" and nothing more.

Manhattan is, by and large, far away from infested residential areas (bar north manhatten, which borders Harlem and Wahsington Heights iirc). Compare it to Dublin, where the main shopping streets are litreally three minutes walk from Cathal Brugha/SHeriff Street/Dominic Street etc. The shopping areas are essentially the local area of alot of the junkies, whereas in NYC the tourist areas are a good trek away from their homes.

Saskia wrote:

Class war! Da nana nana nana nana nana nana Class war!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ive lived in dublin, new york city and new jersey and have to agree that new york city is definetely alot safer than dublin

dublin is a run down old kip (that i love) and so are parts of NY, but in NY i always felt alot safer

been all over nyc as well and upstate too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

tom dunne wrote:
    Maybe I am walking in the wrong places, but I have never been approached by someone off their head. I have seen a prostitute though. :D
    Youve NEVER been approached or seen smack heads in town?? Jesus, you must be one of the lucky ones. Take a walk under Tara St. dart station bridge sometime, it'll be a real eye opener for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I imagine the suburbs of New York have their own problems just like in the suburbs of Dublin.

However I have been in Manhattan a number of times over the years and I think it is an extremely safe place. I would consider O'Connell St/Temple Bar to be the landmark/busiest streets in Dublin city and I would consider Times Square to the landmark/busiest area in Manhattan.

Using this example I would say Manhattan is a hell of a lot safer than Dublin.. you just dont see any trouble.. you dont see people getting mugged or getting their heads kicked in at all. Ive walked the streets of Manhattan at 3, 4, 5 in the morning as well as using the subway at those hours and i have always felt safe.. not so in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Was in NYC (Manhatten) a few years ago with a mate, was wandering around at 2 a.m. Friday night / Sat morning looking for an Irish bar showing the rugby world cup game, felt a hell of a lot safer than I do in Dublin around the same time and I would be from one of those "deprived northside" enclaves. On a side note we were in Washington the previous day and got talking to an american woman who was just back from Dublin when we mentioned we were on our way to NYC she said "You'll love it, it's very like Dublin but a bit more laid back". Have to say she was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

Well I remember about 10 years ago discussing the cleansing of the inner cities like New York and Paris. Apparently the beggars and undesirables were annoying tourists. So they were all shipped out of tourist areas. Is it not illegal to look poor and hang around certain areas or something, if not illegal then people defo seemed to be moved along.
    Lets do that in Dublin, push them all into a corner somewhere, then we shouldn't have to worry at all about them. I mean will I ever feel safe. I need a high wall between me and dirty people that just can't manage, and very high gates. I have a right to feel safe. Oh and if these people have babies or anyone near them breeds shur they'll only be influencing their own kind and our kids won't be affected in the slightest. Let everychild born in the vicinity have no outside influence either, ffs they'll most likely end up unemployed and addicted like their parents anyway. Why go to any trouble to help them, if we can keep them out of our sight then we don't need to even record the deaths of their kids.
    I am being sarcastic in case anyone doesn't realize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

gazzer wrote:
    Using this example I would say Manhattan is a hell of a lot safer than Dublin.. you just dont see any trouble.. you dont see people getting mugged or getting their heads kicked in at all.

But that begs the question, how many people have you seen getting mugged or beaten on O`Connell Street? Ive seen the odd row at night, but it isnt the re enactment of the 2nd assault on Fallujah that Prime Time used to portray it as every third episode. Dublin is much safer in terms of drink fuelled fighting than most towns down the country.

Although in regards to Dublin vs European cities, alot of the Western Europeans I work with are frankly terrified of this place. Some of them have been pickpocketed 3 times in about 2 years, and they generally regard Ireland as a violent place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Saskia wrote:

Just a point but how exactly did you go from Dublin having a drug problem to the entire country having a drug problem?

Advertisement