Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now worse than NYC for junkie scum on the streets?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

DeVore wrote:
    . Read "Freakonomics" for a crystal clear explanation of that.

The drop in 18 year old (ie: adult) crime came 18 years after Roe vs Wade.

DeV.

Haven't read it, who's it by ? Who's the publisher ? and can you give me a breif synopsis of why the broken windows policy wasn't the cause of the drop in crime rate (according to the book)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ClarenceOveur

karen3212 wrote:
    Well I remember about 10 years ago discussing the cleansing of the inner cities like New York and Paris. Apparently the beggars and undesirables were annoying tourists. So they were all shipped out of tourist areas. Is it not illegal to look poor and hang around certain areas or something, if not illegal then people defo seemed to be moved along.
    Lets do that in Dublin, push them all into a corner somewhere, then we shouldn't have to worry at all about them. I mean will I ever feel safe. I need a high wall between me and dirty people that just can't manage, and very high gates. I have a right to feel safe. Oh and if these people have babies or anyone near them breeds shur they'll only be influencing their own kind and our kids won't be affected in the slightest. Let everychild born in the vicinity have no outside influence either, ffs they'll most likely end up unemployed and addicted like their parents anyway. Why go to any trouble to help them, if we can keep them out of our sight then we don't need to even record the deaths of their kids.
    I am being sarcastic in case anyone doesn't realize.

Yeah, I remember being on holiday with the family in Paris about 11-12 years ago we were walking along the river near those islands or something. There was a load of winos being hosed down the path by a police boat! This seemed the norm, they just got up and went somewhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ClarenceOveur

griffdaddy wrote:
    Apparently since Zero Tolerance was introduced New York isn't as bad as it used to be. It also helps that the Gramercy Riff's plan to unite the gangs in the late 70's never really got off the ground, that would have caused absolute chaos.

lol Can You Dig It?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Steoob wrote:
    he said he walked all over manhattan... i mean have any of you people critisising the OP ever been to new york? your all just pumped with propaganda and media stories/film/television programs and instantly think that new york is a hole

Harlem is on Manhattan Island. Sounds like he missed Harlem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

DeVore wrote:
    LOL.... no really, lol! We live in the fncking Shire

I have lived all my adult life in North Central Dublin with a brief period in South Central. Try SF or Oakland at night. See how many steps you get before you get *shot*, lol.

Oh yes, and Zero Tolerance? It had bugger all to do with the drop in crime in NY. Read "Freakonomics" for a crystal clear explanation of that.

The drop in 18 year old (ie: adult) crime came 18 years after Roe vs Wade.

DeV.

Oakland... lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Everywhere has it's good parts, and everywhere has it's bad parts. NY is just a lot bigger, so the good parts are also bigger. And hence the bad parts are also bigger. But because the good parts are so much bigger it takes longer to get to the bad parts so you don't really see them as much.
    Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

bostonian wrote:
    Harlem is on Manhattan Island. Sounds like he missed Harlem.

Harlem isn't that bad at all (anymore). I even went there at night! Oooh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

uglyjohn wrote:
    i've never been to america.....but i was abroad for a year until last september. when i got back i felt like there were far more beggars around the city than when i left.does anyone else agree? maybe if i had been here the whole time i wouldnt have noticed the gradual increase.

Simply put, begging is legal here since start of year hence more begging tolerated as the Gardai can't really touch them unless they step out of line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

oakland is one of the worst places i have been to, scary. San Francisco has alot of beggars but its harmless enough at night, even the Tenderloin area isn't as bad as its made out to be.

Circa 2002, Manhattan Island was one of the safest areas in America. BTW my uncle lived in the South Bronx for about 5 years in the late 1960s and he said it was really nice and he never had any trouble. North Las Vegas about 5 miles from Fremont Street Experience, now that is hell on earth :eek:, the area between downtown and the Strip is pretty bad too, every day i was approached by drug dealers when i stayed in that area in 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

nesf wrote:
    You have to narrow it down to Dublin rather than National statistics though for his analogy.

e.g.

Group 1 Homicide. National Total: 155, Dublin: 73, Cork 1, Limerick 32, Waterford 5, Rural 42.

Edit: murders per million it's approx: Florida 50 Dublin 33 with New York roughly around 66 also. (assumes the national 1/3 Group 1 Homicide cases equal murder rates)

Please state the context of these figures and where you got then... This is very misleading and is akin to the stupid and irresponsible reporting we see everyday in media..

For instance there has been less that 32 murders in Limerick in the past 10 years... and far more that one in cork..

If you are going to come up with ridiculous statistics off the top of your head at least put in a disclaimer..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Orange69 wrote:
    Please state the context of these figures and where you got then... This is very misleading and is akin to the stupid and irresponsible reporting we see everyday in media..

For instance there has been less that 32 murders in Limerick in the past 10 years... and far more that one in cork..

If you are going to come up with ridiculous statistics off the top of your head at least put in a disclaimer..

As per the post I was quoting, the source is the 2005 Garda crime statistics. As I point out later in the thread the Group 1 Homicide figures don't represent murders but a range of crimes all considered very serious which include murder, attempted murder and murder threats (for people who couldn't be bothered reading the linked statistics themselves)

Clearer now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Manhatten is WAY safer than Dublin city. Even Brooklyn didn't seem too bad when I went. Never got up to the Bronx or Queens so wouldn't know about that but in fairness I felt a lot safer in New York than in Dublin.

It's because nobody takes the law serious over here, including the Gardai and the courts. Ovber there, we nearly got arrested for skipping subway fare :rolleyes:

It's hard to tell really. There are very dodgy areas of Dublin, there are very dodgy areas of New York. BUT if we had more access to guns do you think Dublin would be as bad/worse than New York? I think so.

But I didn't see any junkies while I was in NY except for a couple of dodgy guys on the subway but they weren't very intimidating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

I dont hassled in town these days its probaly cause im older and dont look as aproachable as i once did :p
    but i use to get hassled every time i went into towna few years ago be in it a junkie going "giz a ****in ssshhmoke" some guy with his eyes in the back of his head trying to get change for "the bus".
    I had one guy stand beside me once on tara station out of his face i was like 17 at the time he grabed me by the arm he was a big guy now scares on his face and hands like bite marks and he told me how he would throw someone on the tracks :eek: and tried to force me to drink his vodka :eek:

I dont think dublin is a safe city compared to other place's
    sometimes i could be in town for a few hours and maybe only see 1 garda and thats at the gpo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

^jaysus thats bad. I got hopped on at the bus stop by a group of girls my age for being 'nosey'! I was just waiting for the bus! In broad daylight as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

nesf wrote:
    As per the post I was quoting, the source is the 2005 Garda crime statistics. As I point out later in the thread the Group 1 Homicide figures don't represent murders but a range of crimes all considered very serious which include murder, attempted murder and murder threats (for people who couldn't be bothered reading the linked statistics themselves)

Clearer now?

Clear that you are talking through your hole..yes..

Can you please refer to where you "point out later in the thread the Group 1 Homicide figures don't represent murders but a range of crimes all considered very serious which include murder, attempted murder and murder threats"

I dont see it..?

Also if you were capable of reading statistics properly you would see that the homicide rate for 2005 is as follows:

Cork 3
    Limerick 1
    Dublin 24
    Galway 0
    Waterford/kilkenny 5

You should be working for the independednt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

thebaz wrote:
    i feal safer in Dublin, i certainly fealt pretty threatend down some subway NY stations at night .
    Last Sunday i took my camera around Dolphins Barn , to snap the scenery, got a few dirty looks and a verbal threat , but i was more frightened that i broke the camera , when i dropped it -- they looked fairly weedy .
    Anyway the results of my expedition to the barn, are on page 1 and 2 , of my flickr
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/

and i lived to tell the tale :D

Brilliant photos there bud, really well captured, you should think about taking a few more in the same vein and contacting a few magazines to see if you can get them published.

Orange69 wrote:
    Clear that you are talking through your hole..yes..

Can you please refer to where you "point out later in the thread the Group 1 Homicide figures don't represent murders but a range of crimes all considered very serious which include murder, attempted murder and murder threats"

You're right, my memories of this thread were wrong, it being from 5 months ago. My apologies.
    Orange69 wrote:
    Also if you were capable of reading statistics properly you would see that the homicide rate for 2005 is as follows:

Cork 3
    Limerick 1
    Dublin 24
    Galway 0
    Waterford/kilkenny 5

You should be working for the independednt!

You're quoting homicide rates, I was talking about the Headline crime group ie Group 1 Homicide. Look at the regional data for the Group 1 figures. The figures for the urban areas of Cork and Limerick for example are different to the general figures given for Cork city and Limerick in the table above. The way regions are defined for these reports is different, if we want urban figures the homicide rates given aren't truly accurate. The homicide rates for both include some rural areas in them which messes up accurately talking about Cork city or Limerick city.

Don't insult people on here either btw.

^jaysus thats bad. I got hopped on at the bus stop by a group of girls my age for being 'nosey'! I was just waiting for the bus! In broad daylight as well!

Yea girls are the worst really
    I remember years ago i knew this she was on the dart and just looked over at some nacker bird < not a traveler > and she came over to her and punched her in the face :eek:
    Id rather have some nacker block go for me than a girl there bloody savage things these days. !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Dublin is certainly a rough here are just some experiences I have witnessed in Dublin in the space of 7 years

12 years old at the bus stop in town for no reason whatsoever a group of 12 or so scumbags kicked the **** out of me, all the people there just watched.

I remember walking through Temple Bar and the goth people there were getting the **** kicked out of them by about 20 scumbags with socks full of coins, full on smacking them over the head with them

My friend had a knife put up to him and told to hand over his phone in the broad daylight in the middle of town he was only 13 years old.

Was in a club recently and witnessed a guy get knifed on the dancefloor

A few people I know were themselves stabbed outside a club in rathmines

Mate was bottled a few weeks back in town by some scumbags for helping out some innocent pole they were attacking

My neighbour was attacked walking home from town, broken jaw, nose and bruising all over.

I was attacked countless times from when i was 12 years old till about 14years old [when I actually started being able to defend myself] by scumbags, I've had needles put up to me, head-butted, smacked with a 4x4 protest sign everything, I used to skate then so I was constantly in town probably making me more prone to these attacks

Walking up grafton street saw some kid on his own being set upon by 5 clearly older lads, luckily there was a guard at the top of the street.

I have seen so many fights in town, every night im out I witness at least one full on fight or scuffle in fact just last night some lads tried to start on my mate it was only when they realised that my mate wasnt on his own that they ****ed off

at the luas stop there were about 30 scumbags, me and my mates were wondering what the **** they were all doing there, anyways one of them comes up to us and asks us what the code is for an housing estate gate beside the luas stop, we said we didnt know so off your man goes, next minute no joke about 12 cars shoot out the gate, they were robbing the cars, but that wasnt all I later find out that about 5 mins before I was at the luas stop some poor lad was bottled,mugged and had a knife pulled on him by those same scumbags because he said he didnt know the code, luckily he managed to run off but I reckon if he hadnt managed to get away he would probably of been killed they were that bad

at a party a few years back some nut off the street ran in with a balaclava and a knife trying to get money out of people, pushed someone out of a second floor window, mate picked up a playstation and smacked him over head with it [funny looking back] we had to hold him till the guards came

theres loads more..

yea id well beleave all that
    you cant even take your phone out in town these days
    its asking for trouble.

When i was about 16 me and my mates went to some disco thing
    and when we were coming out there was 2 or 3 riot vans outside
    and a loada gards and my mate still got the **** kicked out of him and the gards didnt step in was around dorset street was nuts 3 riot vans at a under 18's disco says alot about dublin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

yea id well beleave all that
    you cant even take your phone out in town these days
    its asking for trouble.

When i was about 16 me and my mates went to some disco thing
    and when we were coming out there was 2 or 3 riot vans outside
    and a loada gards and my mate still got the **** kicked out of him and the gards didnt step in was around dorset street was nuts 3 riot vans at a under 18's disco says alot about dublin .

Don't give a **** about the topic, just browsing, but my ****ing Christ please punctuate your sentances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

karen3212 wrote:
    Well I remember about 10 years ago discussing the cleansing of the inner cities like New York and Paris. Apparently the beggars and undesirables were annoying tourists. So they were all shipped out of tourist areas. Is it not illegal to look poor and hang around certain areas or something, if not illegal then people defo seemed to be moved along.
    Lets do that in Dublin, push them all into a corner somewhere, then we shouldn't have to worry at all about them. I mean will I ever feel safe. I need a high wall between me and dirty people that just can't manage, and very high gates. I have a right to feel safe. Oh and if these people have babies or anyone near them breeds shur they'll only be influencing their own kind and our kids won't be affected in the slightest. Let everychild born in the vicinity have no outside influence either, ffs they'll most likely end up unemployed and addicted like their parents anyway. Why go to any trouble to help them, if we can keep them out of our sight then we don't need to even record the deaths of their kids.
    I am being sarcastic in case anyone doesn't realize.

Whenever a thread like this arises, there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone like you who rows in with 'oh, but they're deprived, they never had the opportunities you did, blah, blah, blah'.

It is painfully evident that you have never been confronted/attacked by the minority of scumbags who populate the city's streets and even more excruciatingly obvious that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

There are thousands of decent folk in this country who come from deprived backgrounds and who have done their best to make an honest living. Most people on here would have parents who grew up in an era when families didn't have two pennies to rub together, yet they still worked hard and didn't take the easy way out. The junkies and the scumbags to be seen on a daily basis in the city centre took the opposite route. For them, it was far easier to get off their heads and blame somebody else, bud.

I suggest you take a step into the real world some day and go down to the Bridewell, where you'll see the same old faces turning up day after day and smirking and joking outside with their pals when they get the inevitable suspended sentence, after some forelock tugging in front of a judge who doesn't want to know.

Bleating about disadvantaged junkies is an insult to people who grew up in less than desirable circumstances but still went out and made something of their lives. Look at that poor bastard who was shot dead in Finglas when that pr*ck Marlo Hyland was knocked off. He was from one of the dodgier areas of town himself, but he still put himself through an apprenticeship and avoided turning into a smackhead. We live in an economy which is crying out for workers, yet we still have people like you who think some mugger's heroin/drink addiction is society's fault. Some day you may learn a harsh lesson which will bring down your naivety-founded ivory tower like a house of cards.

Sandor wrote:
    Don't give a **** about the topic, just browsing, but my ****ing Christ please punctuate your sentances.
    Go **** yourself please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Behave!..please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Saskia wrote:
    Manhatten. Not a single Heroin head harrasing us anywhere we went. And we walked all over it and surrounding areas.
    used to live in nj and nyc, 11377 and 08527
    the junkies there can probs spell better than you though ya ignorant mofo

Seriously, quit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

We have a particular problem in Dublin. It's not that we have more junkies or scumbags but as the city centre is reasonably small these people can easily get around. Also in other cites they are pushed out of the city centre so that they don't bother the tourists etc. but not in Dublin. Supposedly you can't drink on the streets in Dublin but every day I see people doing just that, usually in a gang. The gardai have a great record when it comes to murder but I don't rate them one bit when it comes to street crime and petty thefts. Watching people every day hanging around looking to score/steal is starting to really bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

nesf wrote:

Seriously, quit it.

On first look, I was going to ban him.
    However, the sheer idiocy of the statement and the way it was made speaks for itself.

Advertisement