Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now worse than NYC for junkie scum on the streets?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Even so, bear in mind that 14,000 + or so each year are killed in the US. (according to the FBI, which keeps tabs on all crime in their Uniform Crime Report - http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucr.htm ). This rules out justifiable homicides, too. Those are usually about 200 or so a year. Also, nationwide, there are about 100,000 rapes reported each year, and 400,000 robberies reported each year(with nearly half of those employing a firearm), and aggravated assault(attacking someone and doing serious harm) rates nearly 1,000,000 a year, and property theft reportings are at about 10,500,000 reports per year, with bruglary(entering a confined space for theft like a house) at about 2.1 mil reported. 1.2 million cars are stolen each year, as well. I can't find the NYC specific stats, tho. But the UCR does have the rates per/100,000 population. Violent crimes in the US average: 450 events per 100,000 people. Property crimes, robbery, burglary without arms etc: 3,400 incidents per 100,000. The worst offending areas are the South and the Western United States. So maybe things have cooled down in NYC, which is in the north east - the least offending area according to the UCR.

And stuff like this happens often enough:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070909/ap_on_re_us/officers_killed;_ylt=AmEKHxrTAu5H46CFa6DxbB.s0NUE

:(

Wez
    nesf wrote:
    You're right, my memories of this thread were wrong, it being from 5 months ago. My apologies.

You're quoting homicide rates, I was talking about the Headline crime group ie Group 1 Homicide. Look at the regional data for the Group 1 figures. The figures for the urban areas of Cork and Limerick for example are different to the general figures given for Cork city and Limerick in the table above. The way regions are defined for these reports is different, if we want urban figures the homicide rates given aren't truly accurate. The homicide rates for both include some rural areas in them which messes up accurately talking about Cork city or Limerick city.

Don't insult people on here either btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Whenever a thread like this arises, there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone like you who rows in with 'oh, but they're deprived, they never had the opportunities you did, blah, blah, blah'.

It is painfully evident that you have never been confronted/attacked by the minority of scumbags who populate the city's streets and even more excruciatingly obvious that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

There are thousands of decent folk in this country who come from deprived backgrounds and who have done their best to make an honest living. Most people on here would have parents who grew up in an era when families didn't have two pennies to rub together, yet they still worked hard and didn't take the easy way out. The junkies and the scumbags to be seen on a daily basis in the city centre took the opposite route. For them, it was far easier to get off their heads and blame somebody else, bud.

I suggest you take a step into the real world some day and go down to the Bridewell, where you'll see the same old faces turning up day after day and smirking and joking outside with their pals when they get the inevitable suspended sentence, after some forelock tugging in front of a judge who doesn't want to know.

Bleating about disadvantaged junkies is an insult to people who grew up in less than desirable circumstances but still went out and made something of their lives. Look at that poor bastard who was shot dead in Finglas when that pr*ck Marlo Hyland was knocked off. He was from one of the dodgier areas of town himself, but he still put himself through an apprenticeship and avoided turning into a smackhead. We live in an economy which is crying out for workers, yet we still have people like you who think some mugger's heroin/drink addiction is society's fault. Some day you may learn a harsh lesson which will bring down your naivety-founded ivory tower like a house of cards.

Absolutely 100% correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

Saskia wrote:
    Hi all, Im just back from New York where I couldnt believe how safer it felt compared to Dublin. All the beggers from years ago seem to be all but gone but more importantly I felt SAFE.

Compare to this to Dublin where walking down Eden quay or O Connell street during the DAY and you'll see or be approached by someone off their head.

How can somewhere like New York now be safer than Dublin?

Anyone else feel we're on the cusp of some major drug/knacker problems in this country?

I was around Dublin in the 80's, and there are more scummers and junkies now than there was back then. There is also more white trash around, more wayne and waynettes trash talking scummy idoits, and they are breeding like rabbits. I am starting to wonder, maybe we brought the tacking trailer park species to the US back in the 1800's, rather than than the mainstream theory that it came from america through the adoption of their cultural stereotypes via the likes of TV, Magazines and POP culture.

But Dublin ( or even Ireland ) is not a dangerous city by any means of the imagination, its just full of trailer trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Frogmella.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

Saskia wrote:
    Hi all, Im just back from New York where I couldnt believe how safer it felt compared to Dublin. All the beggers from years ago seem to be all but gone but more importantly I felt SAFE.

Compare to this to Dublin where walking down Eden quay or O Connell street during the DAY and you'll see or be approached by someone off their head.

How can somewhere like New York now be safer than Dublin?

Anyone else feel we're on the cusp of some major drug/knacker problems in this country?

Dublin is a much more compact city than NY. Many of the areas that would have had drug issues are very close to the city centre and alot of homeless/ drug services are city centre based.

While I have only been to New York a couple of times it would seem to me that due to the sheer size of the place many of the areas where drugs are an issue are further from the 'centre' (ie Manhatten) and the main tourist areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

Whenever a thread like this arises, there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS someone like you who rows in with 'oh, but they're deprived, they never had the opportunities you did, blah, blah, blah'.

It is painfully evident that you have never been confronted/attacked by the minority of scumbags who populate the city's streets and even more excruciatingly obvious that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

There are thousands of decent folk in this country who come from deprived backgrounds and who have done their best to make an honest living. Most people on here would have parents who grew up in an era when families didn't have two pennies to rub together, yet they still worked hard and didn't take the easy way out. The junkies and the scumbags to be seen on a daily basis in the city centre took the opposite route. For them, it was far easier to get off their heads and blame somebody else, bud.

I suggest you take a step into the real world some day and go down to the Bridewell, where you'll see the same old faces turning up day after day and smirking and joking outside with their pals when they get the inevitable suspended sentence, after some forelock tugging in front of a judge who doesn't want to know.

Bleating about disadvantaged junkies is an insult to people who grew up in less than desirable circumstances but still went out and made something of their lives. Look at that poor bastard who was shot dead in Finglas when that pr*ck Marlo Hyland was knocked off. He was from one of the dodgier areas of town himself, but he still put himself through an apprenticeship and avoided turning into a smackhead. We live in an economy which is crying out for workers, yet we still have people like you who think some mugger's heroin/drink addiction is society's fault. Some day you may learn a harsh lesson which will bring down your naivety-founded ivory tower like a house of cards.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Saskia wrote: »
    +1
    +2

I'm in Galway and I see fights all the time around here. Most nights actually have ended with some form of a fight.

I've always felt uneasy in Dublin. Never in New York though. But saying that, I didn't stray far outside the tourist areas, nor did I venture out much in the night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

+1

Please stop dragging up older threads, especially if you have F.A. worthwhile to add to them.

Karoma wrote: »
    Please stop dragging up older threads, especially if you have F.A. worthwhile to add to them.

Ahh, was wondering why this thread seemed so familiar. Didn't even look at the dates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ridiculous thread title - the focus is Dublin v New York in terms of how safe one would feel in either. How are Dublin and New York suddenly Ireland and the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Dudess wrote: »
    Ridiculous thread title - the focus is Dublin v New York in terms of how safe one would feel in either. How are Dublin and New York suddenly Ireland and the USA?

two relative epicenters of culture in countries that aren't all that different when you look into it.

on the other hand you can look at the sheer size, scale and population of new york, and wonder how they cleaned up so quickly and how dublin, a much smaller city in terms of scale has dropped into a place where junkies populate nearly every single street in every single part of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Haven't lived in New York but have being all over Europe and parts of Asia. At this moment, Dublins most definitely the worst place I have ever being but then again, most of Ireland also claims that award.

Theres nowhere quite as ...low as a biggish Irish town after the niteclub finishes.

You think everywhere in the world has stupid drunks like us after the niteclub finishes ? Does it ****.

I'm currently in one of the worlds largest cities and I have never felt the slightest bit worried. You can walk down the street here at any time of the day or night and feel perfectly safe. There are lots! of drunk people, they're probably worse then us for the drink and yet you feel perfectly safe. Drunk people sleep in the subway on the ground and everyone just ignores them.

Make no mistake, Dublin and Ireland are becoming the worlds gutter very quickly. The rest of the world (at least where i've being) is picking itself up whereas we just keep sinking lower and lower.

I am honestly ashamed to bring anyone i know (foreigners) here.

Now i know and foreigners have commented on it that a lot of Irish people are some of the kindest and most friendly people in the world but our "scumbaggery" element really stick out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 worldclass

Having lived in New York myself working with the Dept of Education in countless run down areas, I'd still put Dublin above New York when it comes to anti-social behaviour, drug abuse and all sorts of other shyt that makes a city ghetto. I live in the Inner City so I see it every day, no intervention from anywhere.. It's getting worse and is increasingly becoming out of control. The very fabric of the community has been ripped apart and God only knows what the future will hold. I guess Dublin doesn't hide its problems as well as other cities but maybe it should start..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I have seen a prostitute though. :D
    No.

Where? Was she nice :D
    How much for a Dick Turpin? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ireland now worse than USA for junkie scum on the streets?
    Hi all, Im just back from New York where I couldnt believe how safer it felt compared to Dublin.

Dublin ≠ Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread is from 2007 but the problem is still valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Group 1 Homicide. National Total: 155, Dublin: 73, Cork 1, Limerick 32, Waterford 5, Rural 42.

Wow. Limerick is really bad per capita. Thats astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

mikom wrote: »
    Dublin ≠ Ireland.
    biko wrote: »
    the problem is still valid.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I've felt safer in Sofia then I do in Dublin. It's a sh!tty, dirty, ugly little city. And I'm from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've felt safer in Beirut during a civil war than I do in Dublin :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Felt safer walking through Harlem drunk at 3 in the morning, than I do walking in parts of Dublin in broad daylight. As it happens met some lovely people that night all of whom could not have been more helpful and courteous.

Haven't been a major city yet that I feel less comfortable walking around the city centre than I do in Dublin tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

I don't believe New York is safer than Dublin..and I don't think Dublin is a dangerous city compared to other cities in Ireland

Lived in Dublin for two years - never felt unsafe there. Not even in areas with a rep, at night (e.g. by Busarus when getting a taxi). Just use your loaf and don't go looking for trouble. Worked in an area with loads of junkies hanging around (north inner city), never got a hint of hassle off them.

Stories of Dublin city centre's roughness are greatly exaggerated...

I don't believe New York is safer than Dublin..and I don't think Dublin is a dangerous city compared to other cities in Ireland

I don't think it's strictly about danger tbh, I'd also include the proliferation of aggressive scumbags. There are scumbags in a lot of cities but by and large if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. In Dublin the scumbags seem to go out of their way to cause problems.

I don't think Dublin is a dangerous city compared to other cities in Ireland
    Like where?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Limerick in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

prinz wrote: »
    I don't think it's strictly about danger tbh, I'd also include the proliferation of aggressive scumbags. There are scumbags in a lot of cities but by and large if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. In Dublin the scumbags seem to go out of their way to cause problems.

The scumbags in Dublin have a big chip on their shoulder. They're angry at everything. They like laying into schoolkids, students, anybody different looking, anybody on their own or that even looks at them sideways. Notice how the kid who used to skate around the city got attacked so many times, intolerance, a major problem. They know the guards won't do anything about it. Maybe some folks in certain areas never experienced this in Dublin but it is very common in many parts, especially if you grow up there. It is intimidating when you go back after being away a long time. You get used to walking around without a care and then you feel that tightly coiled air when you go back there, especially at night. I wasn't back two days last year but two or three guys wanted to start a fight about nothing on the street. Couldn't believe it. Of course I was on my own and they were off their head on drink or whatever coming out of a pub, frustrated not getting any p$%sy or whatever...typical. Thought I was an easy target (I'm not particularly small either though). These guys weren't scumbags either, just aggressive people who get their kicks on weekends.

They should have a private security force and cameras everywhere...sort it out. French and Italian style go in with night sticks and batons. I blame it on the state supported 'victim' ideology discussed earlier . If only all the judges and barristers and TDs had to live in these areas and walk around they would know it too.

I've also visited NYC a few times and it was remarkable the change from early 1990s to late 1990s, it was like night and day. That was due to increased police presence, zero tolerance to minor crime and moving the bums out of town...an effective policy.

maninasia wrote: »
    The scumbags in Dublin have a big chip on their shoulder. They're angry at everything. They like laying into schoolkids, students, anybody different looking, anybody on their own or that even looks at them sideways. They know the guards won't do anything about it. Maybe some folks in certain areas never experienced this in Dublin but it is very common in many parts, especially if you grow up there..

Yup agree with this. I've been out and about in a few European countries and the scumbags there are just on a different level. Rarely if ever get any hassle. They'll just drink away or shoot-up or whatever. In Dublin I have had little scumbags follow me about 40 yards down Talbot St in the middle of the day telling me he was going to "sort me out" for not giving him a cigarette. When he first asked I just said 'sorry, don't smoke'. Most other places that would do. Dublin? Nah.
    maninasia wrote: »
    They should have a private security force and cameras everywhere...sort it out. French and Italian style go in with night sticks and batons. I blame it on the state supported 'victim' ideology discussed earlier . If only all the judges and barristers and TDs had to live in these areas and walk around they would know it too.

+1. I'm sick of it. For some reason the country revels in celebrating scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I can only speak from personal experience, but when I was in Manhattan I felt a whole lot safer than when I was in Dublin City Centre, and especially at night time. It was pretty obvious. There is actual police presence in Manhattan, every couple of blocks there was cops on the beat. Jeez, you would be hard pressed to see one ****ing copper from Stephen's Green all the way to the Savoy Cinema......, and that includes a rowdy Friday or Saturday night

Advertisement