Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now worse than NYC for junkie scum on the streets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Lux23 wrote: »
    So why are they so bad in Ireland then? Are the Irish just scumbags? Do we live up to the drunken, useless stereotype?

No, as I said earlier Dublin is just a badly run city. We have junkies everywhere in the city centre because they have a good, easy reason to be there. They contribute to huge amount of problems in Dublin during the day. At night time, we let everyone out of the nightclubs at precisely the same time, having ensured that they have to rush their drinks in about 3 hours, instead of taking their time to enjoy their night and go at their own pace. We have a police force that is unarmed, and often useless at dealing with dangerous situations because they fear for their own safety and understandably, they're becoming disillusioned and apathetic with certain elements of their job. Couple all this, with a legal system that is lenient beyond credibility and you have exactly the reason why Dublin is becoming such a shít hole

I love how some people in this thread are painting people who are sick of being hassled by junkies and scum as being the problem, and not the junkies and the scum.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

It might seem odd to some but Tralee is probably worse than Dublin when it comes to scum, at least proportionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

prinz wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Oh yes that's it, obviously everyone means all Irish etc etc. Give it a break ffs, I AM Irish. Not once have I said all Irish are scumbags.

What makes Irish scumbags worse is that they go out looking for trouble. There are scumbags everywhere but in any city I have been to I have never had as many issues with scumbags as in Dublin, like I said any place I have been, be it winos or junkies or all round scumbags they tend to keep to themselves, usually congregate in certain areas, and normally ignore everyone else. Contrast to Dublin where your average knack's goal seems to be to attract as much attention as possible from people minding their own business be it shouting at people from the back of the bus, screaming and following people on the street because I have no smokes, asking for money constantly, say no and get an earful of abuse.. etc

I understand all this I do and I see how its a problem but what I am trying to figure out why Irish people are more prone to being anti-social in this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I think its all relevant and depends on the type of crime you're talking about.

Apparently (talking to New Yorkers) Manhattan has gotten much safer in the last few years because of the property boom. There's no more space to build so many people have moved to less desirable places (80th street and up), thus these areas have gotten better.

New York also has the highest ratio of cops to civilians than anywhere else in America I think, so theres always police walking the beat and theyre not afraid to intervene in fights and draw their nightsticks unlike the gardai here who shout at ya and hope for the best.

That said, Id feel safer in Dublin, simply because I know the place and am more comfortable in it. There's plenty of knackers walking the streets (saw a woman smoking a crack pipe in Burger King O'Connell st once) but they're mainly harmless, and the gypsys go away if ya ignore them or flip them off.

• Advertisement

I understand all this I do and I see how its a problem but what I am trying to figure out why Irish people are more prone to being anti-social in this way.

Because they get hundreds in benefits handed to them, free housing, they've never had to work for money and just expect more money to be given to them by random punters when they've spent all their dole money on booze/gear. They are allowed to walk around and own the place because there is never anything done about them. They get a kick, I guess, out of harassing random people because sure it's everyone elses fault that they ended up on gear.

edit: just to sum it all up: The real question is why Irish scum wouldn't behave like this.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Because they get hundreds in benefits handed to them, free housing, they've never had to work for money and just expect more money to be given to them by random punters when they've spent all their dole money on booze/gear. They are allowed to walk around and own the place because there is never anything done about them. They get a kick, I guess, out of harassing random people because sure it's everyone elses fault that they ended up on gear.

edit: just to sum it all up: The real question is why Irish scum wouldn't behave like this.

Other countries have similar welfare systems and surely if you took away the handouts begging would get worse. I have to say myself the fact that we have such a giving welfare system is one reason why i don't think anyone should ever have to resort to begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CD.

you have to remember that dublin is smaller than new york so the main areas are smaller meaning that any junkies/scumbags would be compressed into a smaller area rather than spread out.

i have been to both places and honestly felt the same level of safeness.
    also, you were only there (i am assuming) for a short period compaired to how often you go into dublin. i have never had problems in new york, but that isn't to say i wont the next time i go there, likewise havn't really had any problems in dublin city centre but the more you go to each place the more likely you are going to get hassled.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think Rojo summed it up tbh, no real consequences, coupled with a major chip on the shoulder about everyone else.

prinz wrote: »
    I think Rojo summed it up tbh, no real consequences, coupled with a major chip on the shoulder about everyone else.

I don't see how that is specific to Irish ASBO types though. Surely if we all took a wrong turn we could end up like that if its an Irish problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

sagat2 wrote: »
    For me, 7 and a half years living in New York and have spent the last 3 working for an charitable organization that sends me into some of the roughest parts of America (Newark, West Englewood Chicago, North Philly, Camden, Baltimore). Dublin where I return home to twice a year is far more dangerous than any of them to the average person.
    Probably worse than other crime capitals of the world such as Jo-Burg, Bogota and Lagos too.

Might just be more desirable than Chernobyl though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't see how that is specific to Irish ASBO types though. Surely if we all took a wrong turn we could end up like that if its an Irish problem.

It's the problem of being born and raised to view the world that way. If I took a wrong turn it would be my fault and I wouldn't blame everyone/anyone else. If I was born and raised in a world where everyone else was to blame, I would see everyone else was to blame and act accordingly.

Added to that the overly generous welfare systems just scumbags to have kids so the cycle gets progressively worse. More scum thinking the world owes them something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think its all relevant and depends on the type of crime you're talking about.

Apparently (talking to New Yorkers) Manhattan has gotten much safer in the last few years because of the property boom. There's no more space to build so many people have moved to less desirable places (80th street and up), thus these areas have gotten better.

nyc cleaned itself up in all aspects, the change that took place especially in the more run down parts of the city has been incredible
    http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149448
    http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=153781

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

CD. wrote: »
    you have to remember that dublin is smaller than new york so the main areas are smaller meaning that any junkies/scumbags would be compressed into a smaller area rather than spread out.

dublin is bigger than belfast and you don't see junkies everywhere in belfast city center, no junkies hanging around every bus shelter like in dublin, no junkies at the main bus and rail terminals, no junkies in the mcdonalds/burger king in victoria street, strange that

somebody nailed it on the head, the clinics etc should be moved well out of the city center

Could be a whole list of things.

First, being they get away with it here, few months in the Joy, and out they go again to leave a bed for the next scum bag.
    Second, an ineffective unarmed police force. For instance, look at their uniform and then compare to the security gaurds at Heuston Station. I think our gaurds could do with at least looking tougher, like the Spaniards or Italian police. Our police force look like security guards at a concert.

Im really as baffled as you are. But Id just like my city back. :)

So imprison people for begging? As this is what most of these people are doing, I do think cops could get them to move on more. Most of the time they just walk by.

The thread title is regarding Junkie scum, not begging scum, I think we all know the difference.
    Being robbed with a syringe at your neck or being told you'll be stabbed , sorted or whatever the vernacular is at time, is a lot different from sitting begging with a cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

magick wrote: »

Besides if u want to be completely surrounded by homeless crazy people just go to San Francisco in Union Square, although their everywhere u feel completely safe because the place is also mobbed by cops, the SFPD dont f*ck about!

Im in San Francisco right now and thats so true! theyre everywhere! They dont seem as drugged up as dublin ones tho, just like they've been living on the streets for a long time. Its weird tho some seem like they just do it as a choice of lifestyle. The other day one goes up to another asking could he borrow his marker to write a sign, thought it was funny at the time :pac:.

Theres tons out by fishermans wharf too, you should them with their trolleys full of cans and random stuff.

They dont seem as dangerous as dublin ones but i did see one stealing a saddle:confused: off a bike and then the owner chase after him.

Other countries have similar welfare systems and surely if you took away the handouts begging would get worse. I have to say myself the fact that we have such a giving welfare system is one reason why i don't think anyone should ever have to resort to begging.

Not to mention the fact that they mostly suffer from lazycuntitis

rossie1977 wrote: »
    dublin is bigger than belfast and you don't see junkies everywhere in belfast city center, no junkies hanging around every bus shelter like in dublin, no junkies at the main bus and rail terminals, no junkies in the mcdonalds/burger king in victoria street, strange that

somebody nailed it on the head, the clinics etc should be moved well out of the city center

hah! they'd fookin shot in Belfast if they tried that ****e.

Another thing I hate ( LOL) is when they have their children with them, and the kids are sucking on a bottle of coke, and stuck out on the streets all day.
    heard one call her child, about 4 or 5, a little pig.
    She roared at him, Comeeeyeer ye little pig ye.
    Yet you need a license for a dog???:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dublinman12

I have to say...I work beside Tara street in the big office building which happens to face onto the platform on Tara street station...In the past month 4 times a junkie has pulled down their trousers in full view of the office (obviously not realising we can see them) and proceeded to inject themselves to what i hope was their groin!

We have had to build barriers around the outside of the office smoking area due to a couple of attacks on young women...

I witnessed to Junkie gangs pulling knives on each other last week...

I honestly have never seen as many junkies in my life...they seem to be multiplying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Jake1 wrote: »
    Second, an ineffective unarmed police force. For instance, look at their uniform and then compare to the security gaurds at Heuston Station. I think our gaurds could do with at least looking tougher, like the Spaniards or Italian police. Our police force look like security guards at a concert.
    So if we dress the cops differently the junkies might hide away?
    Im really as baffled as you are.
    Agreed.

dvpower wrote: »
    So if we dress the cops differently the junkies might hide away?

yeah, thats right, thats exactly what I meant, ONLY change the police uniform, nothing else... jesus FH Christ.

What I meant by the uniform remark was, these scumbags would be moved along quicker by guards who dressed like Swat teams , like the lads at heuston station dublin,(those ****ers look like they just got out of National Service in the Israeli military. , not some fresh pimply face 20 year old in a pair of slacks., and a yellow jacket.

What solutions do you have?? You might be wiser than I am..:)

Agreed.

I have to say...I work beside Tara street in the big office building which happens to face onto the platform on Tara street station...In the past month 4 times a junkie has pulled down their trousers in full view of the office (obviously not realising we can see them) and proceeded to inject themselves to what i hope was their groin!

We have had to build barriers around the outside of the office smoking area due to a couple of attacks on young women...

I witnessed to Junkie gangs pulling knives on each other last week...

I honestly have never seen as many junkies in my life...they seem to be multiplying..

Maybe we need to go to Specsavers, are we the only ones that see the problems in the city??? LOL, I see what you see, I never see mellow junkies, who walk away if you refuse them anything.
    Sometimes I feel Im living in a parrallell universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

Well its very expensive to live in new york so maybe the junkies have moved to other areas
    or in public housing blocks which the average tourist does not visit.
    OR maybe nyc has a larger police force.From reading blogs it seems the us has stricter law enforcement so if you commit a serious crime you,ll end up in prison for a long time.A LOT OF junkies in dublin are not necessarily
    dangerous ,ie they are on methadone dispensed from a clinic , they have no need to rob to get money for drugs.They are more evident in the summer , they hang round certain areas like the liffey boardwalk .i prefer dublin , at least
    the average gouger does,nt have a gun.The average tourist goes to times square ,theatre,hotel , areas that are well monitored and policed.
    i, have heard of tourists being mugged or pick pocketed by junkies in the city centre .
    i am suprised when i see women walking round the city centre with a handbag, they may as well carry a sign saying heres my mobile phone,wallet, credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Saskia wrote: »
    Hi all, Im just back from New York where I couldnt believe how safer it felt compared to Dublin. All the beggers from years ago seem to be all but gone but more importantly I felt SAFE.

Compare to this to Dublin where walking down Eden quay or O Connell street during the DAY and you'll see or be approached by someone off their head.

How can somewhere like New York now be safer than Dublin?

Anyone else feel we're on the cusp of some major drug/knacker problems in this country?
    Lived in NY for 6 years and can tell you for a fact it is safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

THERES A clinic on the quays so they tend to hang round that area,eg merchants quay clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

They should have knocked all the flat complexes in the inner city and built high quality modern one bed roomed apartments and moved in young professional people like bankers and estate agents with high wages and good social lifes. Wouldnt that have gotten rid of all the scourge of drugs and poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Vick7

Junkie scum??? I hate political correctness these days but I would not talk about anyone like that. I guarentee none of them have had the oppurtunities in life I have so I refuse to look down my nose at them. Life is easy for some hard for others doesn't make you any better or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

go to Detroit if you want to see what a real ghetto looks like

Advertisement