Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now worse than NYC for junkie scum on the streets?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Vick7 wrote: »
    Junkie scum??? I hate political correctness these days but I would not talk about anyone like that. I guarentee none of them have had the oppurtunities in life I have so I refuse to look down my nose at them. Life is easy for some hard for others doesn't make you any better or worse.

The usual attitude until they rob you with a syringe at your throat. I think there's something wrong with the education system if people can't see that 'feeling sorry for them' is what causes the cycle to continue endlessly.

Anyway...the guards need to look tougher, be tougher and there needs to be a sufficient deterrent i.e. longer prison sentences in out of the way places. You need to know if you start a fight your going to get clobbered hard. The drug centre plan needs to be fully reviewed. Nobody wants a methadone clinic in their area of course. There should be a place for them to hang out and drink cans all day, that's their place, do what you want but don't step into the regular city centre.

Detroit is a dead city, bad comparison to Dublin. New York or a European capital city would be a better comparison.

The above would clean up the streets in 6 months..Ireland, liberalism gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Junkie scum??? I hate political correctness these days but I would not talk about anyone like that. I guarentee none of them have had the oppurtunities in life I have so I refuse to look down my nose at them. Life is easy for some hard for others doesn't make you any better or worse.

On what basis are you giving this guarantee? I am sorry that I consider myself better than people who like to use public transport as a toilet, harrass the public, put tourists in hospital, make sections of the city centre effective 'no go' areas etc etc etc I shall not make that mistake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Reading this makes me very very sad, anybody who opens their eyes walking around Dublins city centre can see we have a big junkie problem and it's this attitude that sickens me and is making sure by beloved Dublin will remain ruined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

I went for a few drinks last night. I was sitting in the sun at Wolfe Tome park with my girlfriend waiting for a couple of friends to arrive. It was packed. The ground was covered in MacDonald's bags and cartons, with pigeons snacking on what they could find. A skanger family were witting opposite us with a buggie and their shirts off. One guy had a pellet gun and was shooting the pigeons, who flew away screeching each time. He then gave the gun to a younger girl so she could have a go shooting the pigeons.

Later, I was standing outside the porterhouse having a cigarette and a junkie came begging. I didn't give, but the guy standing beside me did, and the junkie started slagging me off for not giving anything. He then asked for a cigarette. Two minutes later, I was on my own and another junkie came begging, and the asked for a cigarette.

This happened twice more through the night. I used to give a smoke to anyone who asked on principle, because I've scabbed them before. Now you get asked so often you'd soon be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

eightyfish wrote: »
    I went for a few drinks last night. I was sitting in the sun at Wolfe Tome park with my girlfriend waiting for a couple of friends to arrive. It was packed. The ground was covered in MacDonald's bags and cartons, with pigeons snacking on what they could find. A skanger family were witting opposite us with a buggie and their shirts off. One guy had a pellet gun and was shooting the pigeons, who flew away screeching each time. He then gave the gun to a younger girl so she could have a go shooting the pigeons.

Later, I was standing outside the porterhouse having a cigarette and a junkie came begging. I didn't give, but the guy standing beside me did, and the junkie started slagging me off for not giving anything. He then asked for a cigarette. Two minutes later, I was on my own and another junkie came begging, and the asked for a cigarette.

This happened twice more through the night. I used to give a smoke to anyone who asked on principle, because I've scabbed them before. Now you get asked so often you'd soon be out.

That Wolfe Tone park is a scanger magnet. Pity somebody didnt start shooting that scanger with his pellet gun and let him know how it feels. Then again if anybody had approached him the family would have went all Kick Ass on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Maybe he means the Junkies that are scum, not the ones that are just junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Mr.S wrote: »
    never been apraoched by a druggie in Dublin at night :confused:

Not the night time you have to worry about, there's a 'special tide' that washes up the Quays around 11am each day.. not much fun for shopkeepers and business in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I was in New York a week back and spotted about 4 junkies on a bus tour through Brooklyn.

One times I was asking for direction from a woman and she said where are we from, we said Ireland then a junkie took his head out of a phone booth. He had no teeth in his mouth and was out of laughed.

Heres a pic! I'm not sure if that is trash to the left hand side or another junkie.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Life is equally hard for lots of other people too.
    You can have a hard life and still be a decent person.

Not every unemployed person in Ballymun is a junkie in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    Life is equally hard for lots of other people too.
    You can have a hard life and still be a decent person.

Not every unemployed person in Ballymun is a junkie in the making.

+1. I grew up in a Dublin City flats complex (2 bedrooms and 6 people) in the 80's. Hardly any facilities bar a tarmac football pitch and a small building that was used by the community.

If it wasnt for some of the adults setting up youth clubs and football clubs and Summer Projects there would have been nothing to do. My family (like most others) didnt have a pot to piss in but we made do.

Even then you could tell who the scumbags would be cos they would be the ones who would'nt be interested in playing football or getting involved in any of the youth groups or Summer Projects. It wasnt through lack of trying from adults who were trying to get them involved but got nothing but abuse for their efforts.

They would be the ones who would try and burn down the youth club or go joyriding on the grass we used to play football on or wreck the tiny playground we had. You can give some people all the facilities and help in the world but they are still scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 electrofrog

I think the situation is getting much worse in Dublin. I go through town a lot (4 - 5 days a week) and were before you might be approached by an addict once maybe twice a week I seem to be getting approached nearly every time I walk through town O'Connell Street, Eden Quay seem to be the worst.

Some of them are so out of it they forget they just approached you and come back a few minutes later :mad: It saddens me as I was always happy to use public transport in this city but am buying a car now coz of the amount of (sorry for being politically incorrect) scum on the streets its not safe anymore late at night at all. My sister was robbed one night on O'Connell Street and nobody did anything (she reported it to the Garda)then a few weeks later she thinks it might have even been the same person tried to rob her again she had her laptop in a bag (not a laptop bag) told them to feck off and ran away;) but still something needs to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

gazzer wrote: »
    Even then you could tell who the scumbags would be cos they would be the ones who would'nt be interested in playing football.

So theyre "scumbags" because they dont like football :rolleyes:

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Well done Mike. Completely miss the actual point of the post and just make sure you get your :rolleyes: in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    You should learn to read if you arrived at that conclusion from what he wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I think the situation is getting much worse in Dublin. I go through town a lot (4 - 5 days a week) and were before you might be approached by an addict once maybe twice a week I seem to be getting approached nearly every time I walk through town O'Connell Street, Eden Quay seem to be the worst.

Some of them are so out of it they forget they just approached you and come back a few minutes later :mad: It saddens me as I was always happy to use public transport in this city but am buying a car now coz of the amount of (sorry for being politically incorrect) scum on the streets its not safe anymore late at night at all. My sister was robbed one night on O'Connell Street and nobody did anything (she reported it to the Garda)then a few weeks later she thinks it might have even been the same person tried to rob her again she had her laptop in a bag (not a laptop bag) told them to feck off and ran away;) but still something needs to be done

I think this the shape of more things in our society to come. Its been around a long time and its much worse in different areas and at different times.

The authorities seem uninterested in the hassles and seek every opportunity and reason not to intervene.

Dysfunctionalism is emerging as the new status quo.

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    You should learn to read if you arrived at that conclusion from what he wrote.

Don't be so picky, I think most get the point, and yes scumbags are not likely to be interested in sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Don't be so picky, I think most get the point, and yes scumbags are not likely to be interested in sport.

Rubbish they are all interested in sport and religiously follow Liverpool.

Don't be so picky, I think most get the point....

The point wasn't that people who aren't into football/sport are automatically scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I've worked in the north inner city for the last few years and cant say that I've noticed things getting any worse,addicts asking for money or smokes a few times a week as usual.

I give some of them a few cent the odd time but mainly tell them I dont have anything to spare and they just walk along to the next person.It's no big deal,never witnessed them attack anybody that refused to give them anything,they do get a bit annoyed when people flat out ignore them,but then again nobody likes being ignored!

I feel sorry for the majority of them,nobody wants to be a heroin addict.

It would be a good idea to relocate the clinic's outside of the city centre but nobody wants a clinic in their area so its easier said then done.The guards are doing their best but they cant really lock up hundreds of people just because they're addicts.

prinz wrote: »
    The point wasn't that people who aren't into football/sport are automatically scumbags.

Wrong, the point I read was that scumbags are not interested in football.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Put the clinics out in SoCoDu

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Wrong gazzers point quite clearly was that some people are just scumbags regardless. This being illustrated by the fact that the local scumbags to him weren't interested in any activity or project (football being one) which was organised for their benefit. Instead they choose to vandalise the few facilities provided for the community.

Mike 1972's post is a perfect example of why i fcuking hate that sarcastic smilie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I find the junkies from NYC a lot more helpful than the ones from Dublin.
    Myself and my parents accidentally found ourselves into a real dodgy area, I saw two different fellas openly dealing at like 3 o'clock in the day. We asked a junkie where the nearest bus stop was and as we walked down we took the wrong street and he ran up to us and show us the right one(and no he didn't pick-pocket us, or even try to).

Even at night, when all the wannabe rappers were selling their CDs on Broadway there seemed to be a jovial atmosphere about the place.

Seriously?

Substitute GAA, rugby, street dance, making floats for St Patrick's Day parades or anything else for that matter for football and gazzers point stands.

There'll always be some people who will willingly stay away from others trying to make the community/quality of life better/do something constructive and instead cause havoc for those them, by destroying amenities, making it impossible for local clubs and organisations to get funding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

baz2009 wrote: »
    I find the junkies from NYC a lot more helpful than the ones from Dublin.

That's my quote of the day.

• ricman wrote: »
    i am suprised when i see women walking round the city centre with a handbag, they may as well carry a sign saying heres my mobile phone,wallet, credit card.

You think a woman carrying a handbag is asking to be robbed? And then you think Dublin doesn't have a problem? Should we all be expected to walk around with those tourist money belt things? Don't you think a woman has the right to carry a bag without someone implying they deserve to be mugged? If they stopped carrying bags, it'd just be pickpockets instead. I had my wallet stolen from my pocket in Dublin, and a phone from the inside zipped pouch of my college backpack.
    sagat2 wrote: »
    For me, 7 and a half years living in New York and have spent the last 3 working for an charitable organization that sends me into some of the roughest parts of America (Newark, West Englewood Chicago, North Philly, Camden, Baltimore). Dublin where I return home to twice a year is far more dangerous than any of them to the average person. You can walk into the ****tiest place in America and people will ignore you unless you flash gang colours, but you can't walk through Dublin city center without some junkie sizing you up as a potential target. Drug addicts over here are far less aggressive and rarely approach people directly looking for money/change/etc in the same manner that you would have somebody walk right up to you in Dublin as you are using an ATM and pester you for change.

+1

I lived in Long Island City for a while right next to the Queensbridge projects. No hassle. Walked through the south Bronx several times. Damn scary experience but nobody approached me. I think in America it is largely true that if you mind your own business, you're generally alright, whereas in Dublin the scum find YOU.
    sink wrote: »
    Literally just got back from staying in Brooklyn, NYC for a few days. Can't say I felt any different then walking around the streets of Dublin. Never really been hassled on the street in either city. Just don't act conspicuous and no one will take any notice.

What's acting conspicuous? Dublin is a junkie playground these days. I can't even stand at a bus stop or walk down O'Connell Street with my headphones in and head down without getting hassled. I got physically attacked at a bus stop once while I was reading the Metro minding my own business. Now when I visit, I don't dare to take my eyes off my surroundings, even in broad daylight, in a busy street. Don't you think that's quite pathetic?
    gazzer wrote: »
    I agree with you for the most party but I have to say that when it comes to Dublin the scum are on the main streets of the capital. Its not a question of taking a wrong turn and ending up in some hell hole. In Dublin you can be walking down O'Connell St, Henry St, Temple Bar and some scummer will jump on your because you dont give him a cigerette. I mean the Boardwalk should be a nice place to walk along but it is junkie heaven.

That's the thing. It's that you can't just say 'well avoid the bad areas if you don't want trouble.' The worst junkie problems are around Tara St station, smack bang in the city centre where the majority of people work. It's a normal part of the daily commute for many people now, to see junkies dealing and harrassing people at 8am. There really is nowhere you're safe from scumbags. Sure, the majority of the time, I've been fine, I do everything I can to avoid trouble but in a small city like Dublin, in the city centre, I really shouldn't be getting ANY hassle. Where the hell are the guards? I live in central London now and that crap is just not tolerated. The slightest whiff of open dealing or trouble and the police are on the scene. I've never once seen junkies dealing or begging on my daily commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

maninasia wrote: »
    The usual attitude until they rob you with a syringe at your throat. I think there's something wrong with the education system if people can't see that 'feeling sorry for them' is what causes the cycle to continue endlessly.

Anyway...the guards need to look tougher, be tougher and there needs to be a sufficient deterrent i.e. longer prison sentences in out of the way places. You need to know if you start a fight your going to get clobbered hard. The drug centre plan needs to be fully reviewed. Nobody wants a methadone clinic in their area of course. There should be a place for them to hang out and drink cans all day, that's their place, do what you want but don't step into the regular city centre.

Detroit is a dead city, bad comparison to Dublin. New York or a European capital city would be a better comparison.

The above would clean up the streets in 6 months..Ireland, liberalism gone wrong.
    On what basis are you giving this guarantee? I am sorry that I consider myself better than people who like to use public transport as a toilet, harrass the public, put tourists in hospital, make sections of the city centre effective 'no go' areas etc etc etc I shall not make that mistake again.
    Greyfox wrote: »
    Reading this makes me very very sad, anybody who opens their eyes walking around Dublins city centre can see we have a big junkie problem and it's this attitude that sickens me and is making sure by beloved Dublin will remain ruined

I think what she was trying to say is that calling someone a 'junkie scumbag' is a huge generalisation. You can be a heroin addict without being a 'scumbag.' Believe it or not, not all drug addicts are voilent or dangerous, not all of them commit crimes.

Truley wrote: »
    I think what she was trying to say is that calling someone a 'junkie scumbag' is a huge generalisation. You can be a heroin addict without being a 'scumbag.' Believe it or not, not all drug addicts are voilent or dangerous, not all of them commit crimes.

That's true but we're not dicussing all drug addicts. We're discussing scumbags many of whom are quite obviously off their heads on something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

That's true but we're not dicussing all drug addicts. We're discussing scumbags many of whom are quite obviously off their heads on something.

Fair enough but in those cases it's not the fact that they use drugs that makes them act like scumbags, they are scumbags anyway. Likewise alot of people act violently without being on drugs. One poster says having a sympathetic attitude towards drug addicts exasperates the problem. However presuming that anyone who uses heroin is a dangerous criminal by default is in my opinion far more counterproductive. If someone is acting dangerously than fair enough, treat it as such. If all drug addicts are treated like criminals simply because of the fact they have an addicition then you are losing sight of exactly what the real problems are. I rarely hear Jim Morrison or Michael Jackson refered to as 'scumbags.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

Yeah most people get this: Dublin is statistically safe but the unsafest parts are the city centre. So that makes it seem worse. Not only that but while I may have more chance of getting robbed in Rome it will be a quick wallet snatch, in Dublin its threathening. Now, junkies dont scare me - run and you will outrun them, but I know that some dont.. and the general atmosphere is ruined. The boardwalk should be full of workers relaxing, instead we cede it to junkies.

Advertisement