Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin now worse than NYC for junkie scum on the streets?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Lux23 wrote: »
    In general junkies don't do you any harm, they are just more annoying like flies or something. I feel sorry for those who are really looking for help and want to improve their situation but so many are just happy to be off their head all the time.

Exactly. I know a lot of users who would steal a fiver from under your eye, but would own up it the minute you put it to them. I also feel sorry for people who feel that should be brushed away from the city centre like supermac wrappers. Its not solving any problem. I don't think it ever will be. It'll always stand as just another of a citys problems. A problem they have to live with and also a problem
    created by other people and agitated by the users addiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

I felt much safer in NYC than here, worked nights in a pub and could walk home at night alone. I do feel a bit dodgy walking to my car here alone at night, but I think that's because some nights, the streets are quite deserted. Although, NYC (especially Manhattan) is more of a 24 hour city than Dublin, more people around at all times, bouncers on the streets until daylight, diners open all night etc.
    I think NY depends on the neighbourhood, as one preious poster said, there are far more residents based within the city than Dublin. Some parts of Brooklyn & Queens aren't safe at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

I have never had problems with junkies in Dublin city. My problem is that they are really boring when you hear them on the bus, jessssusss, the way they talk, its like listening to Father Stone with a skanger accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

mojesius wrote: »
    I felt much safer in NYC than here, worked nights in a pub and could walk home at night alone.

I may be the exception here but I always feel safe walking the streets in Dublin, and I live in an area that could be described as having social problems. I felt safe in NYC also. In fact the only streets I've walked where I didn't feel safe were in Belfast, but that was probably all about my perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

eightyfish wrote: »
    I may be the exception here but I always feel safe walking the streets in Dublin

You are not, and you are correct, Dublin is perfectly safe at night if you have a bit of cop and aren't stocious drunk. Try walking through Tuam, Roscrea, Tip Town or any other small town at night. Unbelievable. The amount of psyched up young fella's venting is incredible, rallying cars, fights, vandalism etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

I may be the exception here but I always feel safe walking the streets in Dublin, and I live in an area that could be described as having social problems. I felt safe in NYC also. In fact the only streets I've walked where I didn't feel safe were in Belfast, but that was probably all about my perception.

I agree with you, it has a lot to do with perception. Although getting called a f*cking c*nt for not giving someone a smoke then having their scummy girlfriend spitting at you after you've finished work at midnight doesn't help. Those Luas stops have a lot to answer for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I may be the exception here but I always feel safe walking the streets in Dublin, and I live in an area that could be described as having social problems.
    You're not an exception. I've lived here all my life and I'd echo your sentiments, but then I think the posters here are discussing Dublin in The Lebanon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

cursai wrote: »
    Exactly. I know a lot of users who would steal a fiver from under your eye, but would own up it the minute you put it to them. I also feel sorry for people who feel that should be brushed away from the city centre like supermac wrappers. Its not solving any problem. I don't think it ever will be. It'll always stand as just another of a citys problems. A problem they have to live with and also a problem
    created by other people and agitated by the users addiction.

How is it 'a problem created by other people'. The first thing an addict has to own up to is that it is his/her own problem. You helping them blame other people for their problems is actually detrimental to them.

I think you have to imagine your girlfriend/wife or your kids walking around at night...then you might change your tune. The main problem with Dublin are the people coming out of the pubs en masse pissed off their heads, alcohol makes people both depressed and aggressive, it's a bad drug of choice for many. And choosing Dublin without mentioning Ireland and UK..well it's the same in most towns and cities there. It's the drinking and aggressive culture.

Advertisement