Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the best horror film of all time??

• 24-04-2007 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

what in yer opinion is the all time best horror film??!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jac83

hi i dont think i can pin point down to one horror being the best over another! It depends what you are into really!I love all types of horror, for example you have your haunted house movies, bogeymen, posessions, supernatural forces, vampires etc.
    I think the best vampire horror movies are the hammer movies starring christopher lee, the best i would say being the horror of dracula! As for the haunted house id definitely go for the amityville horror 2,that also throws in posession! The exorcist would have to be thrown in there aswell.
    I grew up watching a nightmare on elm street,friday the 13th, halloween and also hellraiser and each of these i like also,even the crappy installmens later in the series. the evil dead trilogy are also fantastic,theres a bit of comedy thrown in aswell!
    lately im starting to get into foreign horror film ,the ring trilogy is good,also switchblade romance and nightwatch is fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

For a "child" in 1983 on a rainy Saturday afternoon, it was "The Evil Dead". Nothing has ever matched it for me, despite Romero's previous and subsequent zombie flicks.

Raimi's film had it all. Pacing, simple plot, great production values and horrific scenes (in their day). Oh and before I forget, the concept was still reletively new back then, so it was perhaps...original too. Every scene was disturbing. An epic.

Please note: Younger posters may not appreciate it and I respect that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'd have to tip my hat to The Thing. It has everything.

The special effects have stood the test of time brilliantly, so I can only imagine that people crapped themselves when it was actually released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

jac83 wrote:
    I think the best vampire horror movies are the hammer movies starring christopher lee, the best i would say being the horror of dracula!

I havent seen any of them but I saw the Wicker Man with Christopher Lee and I'd definitely say it's one of the best horror films I've ever seen, even though it actually isn't that scary, but the last 30 minutes of the film is amazing.

For jumpy horror film (cheap scares) i'd go for 'what lies beneath' or 'the ring'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

For me it has to be Nightmare on Elm Street. It introduced the concept of this really terrifying person being able to kill you in your sleep. As a child it impacted me hugely, just from the appearance of Freddy Krueger (which gave me nightmares for 3 weeks afterwards), to the whole idea that something as innocent as sleep can be invaded by someone wishing to harm you.

No other movie I have ever watched has had as such a psychological impact on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Someone please stop me if this rant goes on too long: I will have to say, as I always do, Halloween is my personal "Best Horror Movie". This is of course largely down to having watched it alone on Halloween night when I was 7 of course but really it's this, as Derek said: Simple, nice pace (bit slower than Evil Dead but don't forget this only had one bad guy, one showdown!), killer soundtrack and a lot of work put into it that really does show on screen (it's 30 years old next year, does it look it?).

Other close seconds would be The Thing (or anything from Monsieur Carpenter in my books), The Exorcist, Dawn Of The Dead and the afformentioned Evil Dead.

As for the cheap scares flicks, have to agree with What Lies Beneath and add The Grudge (Remake), The Amityville Horror (Remake) and really any other of the recent remakes spewed out by Hollywood seeing as how that's all they seem to be able to achieve in them, cheap scares!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Cainer

DarkJager wrote:
    Freddy Krueger (which gave me nightmares for 3 weeks afterwards),

Only 3 weeks!:eek:

Man, i still think about oul freddie if i'm at home all alone trying to doze off.

Even if he was the nice alien from V...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

He just scared the absolute **** out of me as a child... And by 3 weeks I mean 21 nights straight of these ****ed up nightmares!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I agree with Necromomicon The Thing does stand the test of time. It keeps you guessing! I also think the Hellraiser series were good. I actually have no fear, someone said that is a fear itself as I wont know when i am in danger! LOL

http://www.speedtest.net/result/122688307.png

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

I havent been around here in a while and said I'd stop in.....

Okay, I'm not trying to piss anyone off here... but "What Lies Beneath" and the " Grudge" remake..... I'm sorry, but someone has to say it....... has the Monopoly of Xtravision in Ireland ****ed up the beliefs that these were scary........ the "Vision" does not acquire that many horror movies, so I'll suggest trying internet resources of Horror Movies such as Tracker 3, Demonoid or THE BEST: The Horror Charnel (private). (and I'm not promoting the use of these sites.... just the Forums to discover really horrific movies.

The Grudge Remake was good, a few jumpy scenes, but the Original is far superior. There's a lot more scarier films out there then What Lies Beneath....

Halloween... cool
    Nightmare....cool
    The Thing .... cool... (although I freakin love the Original)
    Evil Dead .... cool
    George Romero stuff.... cool

Now do you really think "what lies beneath" really really fits into a list with these CLASSICS.....

The Thread is called "Best of all time"......

Anyone interested... go find a documentary called "The American Nightmare".... and chances are.. the greatest is one of the films in the Docu....

This can be found as a bonus feature on Craven's the Hills Have Eyes Dual Disc release.... Every Horror Fan should see it.

What about some Cronenberg stuff...etc Hooper....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

Personally for me it was the original Salems Lot , the one with David Soul , I must have been about 10 at the time scared the sh1t out of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

my personal favourite horror has always been, and will remain, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I first watched a few clips of it when I was about 10 and it scared the absolute shít out of me. I had nightmares for weeks and it wasn't until I was 17 that I could bring myself to watch it in full, and when I did it still scared the **** out of me. Leatherface's entrances are perfectly done, and the camera work is second to none. what a film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Cronenberg is the winner for me. I loved his early films Rabid and Shivers. I remember picking them up when I was a young fella cause the covers of the Video's really stood out for me. Neither film disappointed and I'd strongly recommend them to anyone who has not seen them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 kashi

I would have to agree with Nightmare being one of the best ever. I don't think I could still watch it without crapping myself. I don't think I slept for about a week after seeing the first half hour of it!! (Maybe slight exxageration but not that much!) But I think my favourite has to be The Pit and the Pendulum with Vincent Price. I love the old Hammer Horrors, and IMO this is one of the best.:D

kashi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Some true Gems:

*NOES 1, 3 and 7

*Ginger Snaps

*Halloween 1 & 2, and H20

*The Descent

*Cujo

The Descent is probably my fave horro of all time as it scared me, as in gave me a fright every 3 mins, and in general scared the **** outta me, mainly as its so easy for something creepy like that to actually happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Pffft...easy...has to be Rob Zombie's House of a 1000 corpses. No wait Braindead!...man thats a really tough question :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I watched a film in 1985 (ish) I was about 9 and it was called "Children Shouldn't play with dead things" well it scared the crap out of me then and haven't seen it since.

Also seen another film around then called Driller Killer which scared the crap out of me as my Dad was a builder and used to leave the drill in the hall every evening.

1 other film that I can remember was in a hospital and the nurse puts the needle in the eye of one of the patients and loads of crap comes out of his eye but I cannot remember the name of the film.

We used to watch these films in my friends house who's Dad loved horror films and we would watch them and tell our parents we were watching ET or some Bruce Lee film.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

Man, If you watched Children SHouldnt play with Dead things now... you';d probably laugh your ass off. Have it on DVD and Ive got a VHS copy of it too so if you want it, I can give it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

trendkill wrote:
    Man, If you watched Children SHouldnt play with Dead things now... you';d probably laugh your ass off. Have it on DVD and Ive got a VHS copy of it too so if you want it, I can give it to you.

ha ha ha you are most likely right but as a 9 year old I think it was the 1st horror I seen so really scared the crap out of me. I have read reviews of the film since and all agree with your words.

Thanks for the offer but I am thinking of buying it myself soon with a few others just for old times sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

DarkJager wrote:
    For me it has to be Nightmare on Elm Street. It introduced the concept of this really terrifying person being able to kill you in your sleep. As a child it impacted me hugely, just from the appearance of Freddy Krueger (which gave me nightmares for 3 weeks afterwards), to the whole idea that something as innocent as sleep can be invaded by someone wishing to harm you.

No other movie I have ever watched has had as such a psychological impact on me.
    Right there with you mate. Freddy is the only horror Icon I can't Watch today.
    How do you fight that crispy fecker.
    I sat through Freddy Vs JAson waiting for Jason to win. And I was overjoyed at that end scene till That Bloody head Winked.
    Worst moment ever.

I don't think I can pick a fave horror movie. Too many great flicks
    Audition is great Nice pace with some solid scares and "ugh!" moments.
    The hills have eyes. I love both versions. Which is a very rare occurance.
    Alien gave me my frist Horror movie love.

And while Tremours ain't a normal Horror I Still love to watch it every now and again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crazy-cooke

I'd have to tip my hat to The Thing. It has everything.

The special effects have stood the test of time brilliantly, so I can only imagine that people crapped themselves when it was actually released.

yep....the thing for me as well!!!!! never gets old... brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

The Haunting (1963)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    The Amityville Horror (1979)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

New one for the list, Right At Your Door, by no means a horror in the conventional sense but it strikes such a powerful chord. A bit of an "urban horror"... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

The Thing(John Carpenter)
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Friday the 13th 4
    August Underground Mordum
    The Beyond

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

mbv wrote: »
    Friday the 13th 4
    The Beyond

I feel kind of bad for doing this, but those two? Really?

Friday 13th part 4 had the byline "The Final Chapter" which was hilarious as even the blurb on the back of the VHS box stated that it wasn't the final film, so as a choice of title it was crap. Sure, the angle they took with the kid at the end was kind of interesting, but better done in part 5 (and even then it was still pretty bad by conventional standards, not to mention better done in Halloween Part 4.

As for The Beyond...it had some nice aspects and had a typical Fulci eyeball-gouging scene, but there's no way it's better than Zombie Flesh Eaters. As a film it was all over the place, and the ending was just a mess. (I picked it up on DVD for about €2 which pretty much says it all...)

I was just picking a few of mine....
    F13 4 is my favourite Slasher of all time.
    The gore,tension, frights make it,for me the best of the series.
    As for the whole Final chapter thing...Savini came back on board with the understanding that it was the last one....money breeds sequels I'm afraid.
    part 5 was horrendous...NO JASON!

The beyond, hmmm maybe Zombie flesh eaters or even City of the living dead might beat these in many a poll but I loved the ending of the Beyond...very depressing and unlike a lot of (the hero's win and save the day type movies)

I did HATE the way the guy kept shooting the zombies in the body after repeatidly downing a few with head shots but other than that I love it.

It's hard picking one though....The thing would be the top if I was pushed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was just picking a few of mine....
    F13 4 is my favourite Slasher of all time.
    The gore,tension, frights make it,for me the best of the series.
    As for the whole Final chapter thing...Savini came back on board with the understanding that it was the last one....money breeds sequels I'm afraid.
    part 5 was horrendous...NO JASON!

Yeah I know, no Jason but on the other hand, the best approximation to a plot the series had after the first one. Although poor ticket sales in cinemas showed that an actual was the last thing the fans wanted...hell, I liked the fifth one as a reasonable slasher but also because the ending had the balls to continue with the suggestion at the end of the 4th one, that Tommy was effectively scarred so badly by his experience that he perpetuated the trauma he experienced.
    The beyond, hmmm maybe Zombie flesh eaters or even City of the living dead might beat these in many a poll but I loved the ending of the Beyond...very depressing and unlike a lot of (the hero's win and save the day type movies)

In fairness Zombie Flesh Eaters had a pretty damn depressing ending too, where it becomes apparent that the zombies have effectively spread far enough to destroy human civilisation. The Beyond wasn't quite cohesive enough for me overall, although it did have some nice scenes and an interesting concept.

I can certainly get behind putting The Thing at number one though :)

I'll stick with The Thing....the top 10 list can differ from week to week.
    So difficult to choose.
    I was going through my F13 boxset and I forgot how good part 2 was. Was never a huge fan as the MPAA cut it to shreds but damn, as a sequel it's one of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Anyone remember a horror set in ireland called 'Rawhead Rew' (i think thats what its called).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Lets not forget the original
    Omen 1 + 2 movies.
    The Decent
    Halloween 1 and 2
    I Loved The Signal and REC two recent movies
    Oh and the Orphange was pretty good too although really need a good sound setup to get the most out of it.
    I thought the Evil Dead movies were terrible even when I was a wee fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Walkman wrote: »
    Anyone remember a horror set in ireland called 'Rawhead Rew' (i think thats what its called).
    Yeah i saw it. Contains the mad priest's immortal line 'Get up there f**kface and don't keep the lord waiting'. Your man who played Matt in Glenroe was in it. I vaguely remember a scene where he gropes a girl behind a caravan while old rexy is hovering around in the bushes.

And by the way 'Rawhead Rex' was the name of it. For me the most spine chilling film ive ever seen was the 70's mini series of Stephen King's 'Salem's Lot'. That creepy little lad floating at the window gave me nightmares for months. Terrifying book too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Anyone know where I can get a copy of Rawhead Rex

Just spotted it on ebay. 5 days left to bid. $36. 6 bids on so far. Good luck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Dawn of the Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original and the remakes). Loved War of the Worlds too, if you can call that a horror film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

The first Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

I think I saw it for the first time when I was in college in 97. I think it was still banned on video at the time, so the copy we had was a pirate, quality was a bit dodgy ... which actually added to the atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Oscholar

Evil Dead 2. Even though it's more of a comedy than the first film, it's my favourite horror film. Bruce Campbell is a legend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Here here! I dont think its best horror of all time but its up there, and Bruce is a leg end for sure . Now where did put my boom stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Im not much of a fan of Evil Dead 2.
    For me its more "National Lampoons" Evil Dead which sucks ass.Bruce is the king though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement