Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird problem with registered DLLs (.NET,COM,IIS,ASP)

Options
  • 24-04-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

I had to replace on of my dlls on a server today and I as per usual used REGASM to unreg the dll and again to register using the /CODEBASE and /TLB switches. All fine.

Only thing is I am getting an invalid progID on one of the calls. Checked through the code and I cant see what it doesnt work. I check the registry its there, sufficient permissions and the admin app manages to create and destroy the clas no probs.

SO i check the registry and I find a duplicate entry from a previous version number. No probs delete the offending key, stop IIS, remove the DLL which sits in the /app/bin directory. Restart IIS and start the app.

EXCEPT!!! The dll comes back and is reregged in the directory I just deleted it from.!!!

So this time I am more thorough, i unregister it from everywhere, delete it completely, use regclean to clean the registry, reboot, recheck that the dll is not registered nor is it in the registry or the directories.

Reg the correct version, restart the app and bang same thing, the old version is copied into the BIN directory. I am trying to figure out what the hell it could be. I didnt check the GAC to see was it installed there, but on my way home I think it may have been installed there in error.

The only call to this DLL on startup is in a classic ASP file ising the SERVER.CREATEOBJECT statement. I cant understand how on earth it keeps getting back in there... its like the houdini dll :)

So any ideas .NET devs???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Wel an update to this

I search for all instances of the dll in question, used REGASM /U to unregister them and then deleted them. Verified in the registry that they were no references what so ever to this dll in any of its version. Deleted all instances of the dll and then rebooted the machine

Copied it on, registered it and its back with only one instance now in the registry. Only thing is I am getting an invalid ProgID on one of the method calls which for the life of me I cannot figure out. I swear if I see com interop again I will have to shoot something

Advertisement