Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

Options
  • 24-04-2007 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

With the weather so good, I went into the Naas patio/decking centre in Naas (just of the M7, when you turn form the M7 for Newbridge) a few days ago and got a quote for decking in the back garden.
    A man came out a few days later and did some measuring etc. For 13x14 ft he quoted us 600 Euro for the pressure treated wood and 300 Euro for his work.
    Do you think this is reasonable or is it to expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It sounds like a reasonable quote.
    €30 per sq yard materials & €15 per sq yard to install - That's OK IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Seems reasonable, I assume this doesn't include handrails, spindles etc..

You should also consider lighting into it, I have 12v LED uplighters in mine, finishes it off very well

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I've always found Naas Paving to be very reasonable for materials but speak to Cian and chance your arm for a discount. Although in fairness, at €600 there is probably not much room for a discount but you never know till you ask. AFAIK they probably contracted out the fitter as they dont do that themselves. If the fitter is charging you for the whole job he is probably getting a "landscapers" discount from them for the materials so there might be room for movement there. Maybe 10%.

I've no connection, I just use them quiet a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

ABS Building supplies have a sign up saying 16ftx16ft decking fro €699 inc fixtures and fittings.
    Anyone ever use them? thinking of getting decking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Scruff wrote:
    ABS Building supplies have a sign up saying 16ftx16ft decking fro €699 inc fixtures and fittings.

Have you got a web address for these guys?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lilliputprinces

Scruff wrote:

Hi there

We got decking material from ABS recently and installed decking ourselves last Saturday.
    For an L-shaped decking - 10ft sq and 5ft sq - we got subframe, decking boards, nails, polythene (instead of more expensive Mypex, we perforated polythene) and delivery for €480.
    We didn't get ballastrade/rails, tbh we think they're a bit too much (too look at that is). If we had got rails it would have been about €200 more
    Quality of the decking boards was good - there were 2 decking boards with a little mould on, so make sure you tell them you don't want any of this sh!t!!

It took 3 of us 7 hours to install, fairly heavy going and make sure you have a bench saw to cut everything to size.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

It does indeed, thanks lilliputprinces!
    will be doing an L shaped deck as well but 18x12 (if ye were to measure it as a rectangle. Did you put it down as two seperate decks to make the L ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lilliputprinces

No, we made 2 subframes, a 10ft sq and a 5 ft sq, attached these together to make one subframe.
    then cut decking boards to size and nailed them to the subframe.
    So underneath has 2 parts but you wouldn't know from looking at it.
    If you made 2 decks it would look off as deck boards wouldn't align.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cormacmccann

Scruff, Cold_filter,

Did you consider composite decking? The initial cost is more than the softwood treated decking you were quoted for but the maintenance cost, life expectancy and safety of Composite decking is much better. If you look at www.earth-wood.com you will see some installations which have been done. The Earth-wood decking means that you don't have to worry about painting/varnishing every year to try and maintain it as you pick which colour of decking you like when you buy it. It also will last much longer than softwood decking because it doesn't rot nor crack when dried out. Finally the Earthwood decking is non-slip, even when wet.

Give it some thought and if you want further details email or phone me.

Cormac
    Earth-wood
    Tel: 044 9390445
    Email: cormac.mccann@earth-wood.com

Advertisement