Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee skatepark

Options
  • 24-04-2007 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

Does any of the Kerry members have any news regarding the skatepark for Tralee?I believe it was supposed to be indoor but it got changed to outdoor and concrete.It got the most funds from the government,but still no news about it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭lifesgood

:eek: well im not fom kerry but my cousins are nd its supposed to be costing 880,000! by far da dearest in ireland

www.sitedesigngroup.com/streetplaza.php?State=United%20Kingdom .They should be building tralee skatepark click on the brochure and you can fill out a form with da budget nd space ya hav for da park nd dey can email ya back with a design dey do plazas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hoffman

are you sure they are building it? they are in america?
    their website needs a zip code when you type in the address and of course that is america only.

no der not actually building it i just ment that they should build it bcoz der parks are amazing would it be possible to get american company to build here? dat wud be gr8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The original plan was to have it done by the end of the summer, at this rate i doubt it, they dont even have the park designed yet. On the plus side they have the funds me thinks. Will be outside the tralee leisure centre (sports complex) and it will be concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Nice one for the replies.They got the biggest allocation funds wise as it was meant too be indoor,but that has now been scrapped.

Has it gone for tender yet?

The tendering process takes a good few months to award the building of the park too the most suitable builders.Any company can apply for this as long as they supply the required information.

Bushy and Lucan were both built by an American company so I don't see why not.

Well i personally see tralee skatepark as being a total waste, the councill made the very few spots tralee had unskateable so in the wait for the park pretty much everyone i know has stopped skating. When the park does open theyl have NOONE local skating it.

I have heard not one word on it just cause the skaters in tralee(well ex skaters now) were never in the loop. I hope it goes ahead though, even though im not meant to skate anymore a local skatepark may give me incentive to screw doctors orders.

it doesnt matter if they stopped skatin bcoz once the park comes up im sure theyl skate it and probably get back into skating

www.concrete-skateparks.com/ - 8k
    check out the hasselt park on this site only cost 580,000 imagine if tralee got a replica of this park and with the money they have for the park they could even put an extension at the side or put a shelter over it!!

i emailed them to see if they would build in tralee

• Advertisement

yea that park looks SAVAGE. If they built somthing half that good id be delighted. There hasnt been no word on the park for at least 9 months at this stage though. i just hope the council havent flip flopped on the idea.

this is the email they sent back to me

Dear Donal,
    Thank you for visting our Concrete Website. We are the Concrete Project Office for Western-Europe, including Ireland.
    Yes we are interested to built a skatepark in Kerry. We can be of help in designining the park, do the engineering, deliver the prefab concrete skate elements and do the supervision to the local contactor who has to do the groundwork, the installation of the elements and to make the concrete flats.
    We have our partners in Ireland who can be of help.
    Who are you. A skater or do you work at the local authorities????
    Please mail us your name and postal address and we will send you documentation.
    Regards,
    2MOVE b.v.
    Henny Nijenhuis

they actually have people here in irelannd can someone please get on to the kerry coucil to let them know

i would but im a bum, somone else go for it though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

how do builders/designers/managers of skate parks make an insurance deal with any company? surely the injuries at concrete skate parks would pile up...

i wouldn't insure a skate park anyway haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Patricide wrote:
    Will be outside the tralee leisure centre (sports complex) and it will be concrete.

That is a few houses away from my house. I can't see where there would be the space for this, unless they go out the back and take over the sports field part near the back of the IT. I think there would be much better locations, but I guess anywhere would be better than the steps of the courthouse!

440Hz wrote:
    That is a few houses away from my house. I can't see where there would be the space for this, unless they go out the back and take over the sports field part near the back of the IT. I think there would be much better locations, but I guess anywhere would be better than the steps of the courthouse!
    i think he means the new leisure centre which is being built in fels point

Yeah true, I forgot about that! When I read 'sport complex' I just automatically think Oakpark ;)

well the original plan was the old complex but its been in development so long i guess theyl move with the new complex. and steoob i would imagine liabilit wavers and some other stuff would be put in place. Skateparks all over the world manage to do it so i gues there is some way around the insurance malarky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eoinoco

There is something being built in the Green. It could be a skatepark. Its near the playground.

• Advertisement

eoinoco wrote:
    There is something being built in the Green. It could be a skatepark. Its near the playground.
    saw that last night... very interesting altogether

So what's the story,is there a skatepark built or what?Post up some pictures of it ,whatever it is.
    The Co,Cork Ballincollig skatepark which is to be modular should be up and running by the end of September,The Waterford concrete park should be open this side of September.Just filling ye in.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

anyone got news on the tralee skatepark?

Can anyone local shed some light on the skatepark for Tralee??

Well any time I pass the site that it is rumoured to be on (which is daily) there doesnt seem to be much going on there at all. I heard rumours recently that the site was going to either be on the Dan Spring Rd (by the Aqua Dome) (which might link in with the Green story) or up in Manor, near Toby World. Neither sites look like there is much going on there though, tbh.

The plans arent for there last time i heard. It was always meant to be up in the sports complex on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Blackrocks

hi
    just saw ice skt park in tralee yesterday ready to open at weekend at aquadome site. sorry dont have any other info

Blackrocks wrote: »
    hi
    just saw ice skt park in tralee yesterday ready to open at weekend at aquadome site. sorry dont have any other info
    ^^^^^
    That is the Christmas ice rink,this thread is about the permanent skatepark for Tralee that got funding over two years ago!!

Anyone have updates..tender awarded to?start date?completion date?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Thanks for the redirection wideangle! As of yesterday I was speaking to the guy dealing with the skatepark. The only place it is going to be is beside the sports complex by the college. They are also looking to build an all weather pitch there but the land belongs to the Department of Education so there is ahold up because the dept of Edu doesn't know if it wants to hand over the land already.
    the sum alocated for the Tralee skatepark is €200,000 but the town council is putting some of its money towards it. Plans have been drawn up for an outdoor concrete park but it cannot go to tender until the land is theirs. It went to tender once aleady but the contract was revoked as there was no option to update or add onto the park at a later stage. The guys are trying to do it once and do it right! They got some advice fro Bruce and he helped with the plans I believe. The buck is lying in the dept of educations hands now!!!
    Hope that answers all your questions!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement