Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee skatepark

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Nice one for the update cookiequeen,hope things get moving a bit quicker now.I am under the impression the funding for the Tralee skatepark was alot more than 200,000 as it got largest grant in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I hate to sound negative about this, but are the council really going ahead with the skatepark, good idea that it is,i would think the insurance side of things would put them off it, or am i missing the point?Or would the complex's own insurance cover it?I suppose they have public liability already, maybe it wouldnt make a huge difference to them?

Carchaeologist, The insurance problems with skateparks in Ireland has been sorted out,that is why the funding was given for them in the first place.

Some of the skateparks allready built have been incorporated into existing sports grounds,such as Greystones for supervision purposes and some have been built in public parks such as Waterford city skatepark.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

All cool so, i was just wondering:)

Not a bother..glad to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ducki

to the guy who said no1 wud use the park incase u havnt noticed theres a good few sk8rs round tralee theres atleast 10 of us an thats on a bad day also yestaday we got pics takin by the kerry eye an wer havin an article in the nxt issue about d park:p, also im not spose 2 sk8 nemore either but i stil do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yup noticed the influx of new skaters around the town alright. Im delighted about it, would go back myself but my knee and doctor both say no haha.

Hint....when your learning to drop in on a pipe....wear knee pads...

:eek:dude that sucks, im not spose 2 sk8 doctors orders 2 but i stil am jst had anoda opp but i jst cudnt c myself not sk8in:D, dis is probs bad advise but u shd try an start sk8in again:)

:eek:wait a minute u know chris, which means u probs know paul... wait i know who u r woop small world lalalala

I know lots and lots of people..... And no going back would be a bad thing. Very bad haha. Although i do miss it(even though i sucked balls haha).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

F NE OV u SKT8'z wnt 2 flo it up, da sk8 prk woz part ov da twn dvmnt pln nd da rpd ara dvmnt pln

WOOT lol etc.

http://www.kerrycdb.ie/rapid.asp

Measure FSYP17
    Provide more facilities / programmes for young people in all areas.

Actions to Achieve Objectives
    More engagement of young people in activities including youth work and sports.

Expected Outcomes
    Development of Skatepark for teenagers as per Tralee Town Plan.
    Safe tarred play areas with basket ball hoops.
    Well lit soccer pitches.

Lead Organisation/Agency
    KDYS, Family Resource Centres / Community Centres
    Tralee Town Council Public/Private Partnership
    TTC / Residents Associations

To Commence
    January 2004 onwards

as mentioned here
    http://www.kerrycdb.ie/RAPIDActionPlan2003.pdf

It was also mentioned on a town development plan if i remember correct [ cant located it at the moment and partnership Tralee also had something to do with it too

http://www.partnershiptrali.com/images/annual_report/Annual%20Report.pdf

If any skaters want some answers an email to all of the organisation mentioned above will probably get you informed, [ cause i don't think any of them post on here !! ]
    ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Stopped skating 2 years go for various reasons after spending 4 years at it. Remember going to a meeting about building a skatepark in the complex, one guy made it sound like we were definitely getting one while another guy was telling us were weren't going to get it. Good to see its been highlighted again in the paper, I would definitely use it if it were built.

Spent a day at the skatepark in ballincollig a few weeks ago, was a nice park, if tralee is getting a park it will be similar to that park, the design of it was the same as the plans for the tralee park we were shown at that meeting.

What exactly does tender mean? I doubt wel get a skatepark these days in this economic climate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Patricide wrote: »
    What exactly does tender mean? I doubt wel get a skatepark these days in this economic climate :(

Up for tender is pretty much where the council take various estimates on a project from different developers and choose the one that suits best - like getting a few different quotes done for a job. Typically this only happens when funds are available, altho it can still take a long time to go ahead.

Well fair play for the councill for sticking to there word. God damm all that red tape though...

There's still something fishy the grant recieved was half a million and it says in the tender details the budget is 150,000, plus that half amillion has been geathering interest for the past four years??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tom the element

the better build dah skatepark there coz i only live in killarney for like 6 days and im already board

as u see ducki if u go up to killarney u will never see skater there so

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Patato

Has anybody else tried emailing the county council ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Do it !
    Patato wrote: »
    Has anybody else tried emailing the county council ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Billyd93

I literally just sent an email to two adresses i found on the town website asking them about the park and advising them to build a BMX track aswell seeing as it's in the olympics now i thought they would be more interested in that and that it could be used as a stepping stone for an actual skatepark

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

This is something which could be combined right [BMX/Skate park] right ?

AFAIK the winning tender info is published on that e-tenders site, so it would look like the tender was never awarded.

Pleae post the responce up here Billyd93.

Billyd93 wrote: »
    I literally just sent an email to two adresses i found on the town website asking them about the park and advising them to build a BMX track aswell seeing as it's in the olympics now i thought they would be more interested in that and that it could be used as a stepping stone for an actual skatepark

Billyd93 wrote: »

Did ye get a reply yet ?

the better build dah skatepark there coz i only live in killarney for like 6 days and im already board

hey im only after moving in now to killarney and i dont know any one so if u want to skate whit me ill be happy please let me know thx

I hate to see this topic slip away ! .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bd13

Tralee skatepark is inevitable in the next year. The town council are keen to finally build one.

I have had 2 meetings with a town Councillor in the last month inspecting various sites around town. We had initially decided on the Wetlands Center and I had done a few drawings for them. It would have been a 1000sqm site. Concrete with a bowl and the rest will be street plaza - banks, rails and ledges.

But now we have to move it to a different site in the Tralee Sports Complex. Here is the site

Type in you browser: google"put a dot here"ie/maps/@52.2717408,-9.6924108,50m/data=!3m1!1e3

The site for the park is "L" shaped from the edge of the carpark to inline with the end of the astro turf pitch. So it's one rectangle that's about 600sqm and a smaller side piece that is about 200sqm.

It's still concrete and will still have a bowl hopefully with a spine in it. The rest is street.

So I'm confident that the park will be built sooner rather than later and I'm in contact with one of the Councillors who has been visiting the parks in Cork and limerick and has a good idea of what needs to be done.

Main question to any one interested is what would a good design be for an "L" shaped park. I was thinking maybe at the corner the L have it be a raised platform with banks pointing into each side. There could be a stair set of it too and some ledges. And then some flat rails and ledges with the bowl at the large side with more street and smaller banks on the small side of the park.

Any ideas tell me here and I'll pass them on and if anyone with better knowledge of the town has a better idea for a site tell me that too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Please don't resurrect a Ghost thread! MOD

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement