Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT - 3MB line - LAG LAG LAG

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FNG

dub45 wrote:
    I am not defending BT in any way - I have long had reservations about the way the product is advertised by all the isps - but if you are aware of contention etc why do you state that you are paying for a 2Mb line when you know that you are not?

All right dub45, I'm paying for a "sometimes available, 300k to 2mb line..."
    Happy now?

The quotes from BT's website about contention which you are using are from their FAQ's which don't form part of their T's and C's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FNG

FNG wrote:
    The quotes from BT's website about contention which you are using are from their FAQ's which don't form part of their T's and C's.

Actually, this information is not from BT Ireland's FAQ at all, its from their Help and Support pages. Joe Public won't ever have heard of contention until after he signs on the dotted line. Only after he has committed himself, and found out in practice what a 2mb line really means, is he likely to become familiar with the concept of contention.

I can't figure out dub45, whether or not you agree that the phone companies' marketing practices are deplorable. You seem to think it is somehow legitimate to sell crap service to people who don't happen to be newbie's.

Or is it that newbies deserve what they get cos they're suckers, and people who know better deserve what they get cos they're just ignoring their instincts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dylanpp wrote:
    thanks for your reply. however, the possible faults and solutions u may have detailed fail to attend to one issue;

why can my internet perform PERFECTLY for say 2 weeks or any other random duration? Suddenly the problems arise only during peak times etc etc. Tonight the stuff was **** hot again :D

Nevertheless this information is conclusive at the time you got it
    Line Attenuation (Down):53 (Up):31
    Noise Margin (Down):8 (Up):16

Thats a 1 mbit line at that moment in time....maybe 2 if you feel very lucky.
    modem/extensions/devices cannot be the problem. all of these factors remain constant.
    sky boxes are constant save where they call . You note problems between 7 an 11 when you do notice problems.

it could even be crosstalk which is what you might call electrical contention . Anyway read this and work away through it..

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm
    is it not a routing problem? is it not the 1st server hop from my modem to my exchange? surely herein lies the problem!

absolutely not, your problem is on the line and there are no routers on the line bar your modem ...maybe

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

FNG wrote:
    Actually, this information is not from BT Ireland's FAQ at all, its from their Help and Support pages. Joe Public won't ever have heard of contention until after he signs on the dotted line. Only after he has committed himself, and found out in practice what a 2mb line really means, is he likely to become familiar with the concept of contention.

I can't figure out dub45, whether or not you agree that the phone companies' marketing practices are deplorable. You seem to think it is somehow legitimate to sell crap service to people who don't happen to be newbie's.

Or is it that newbies deserve what they get cos they're suckers, and people who know better deserve what they get cos they're just ignoring their instincts?

I have not got the foggiest notion what your last sentence means but the fact is that you on your own admission you knew exactly what you were signing up for when you joined BT yet you mislead newbies and encourage them in their false beliefs when you post wrongly ''I'm a BT customer on the Blanchardstown exchange paying for a 2mb broadband line.''

The fact is that all bb to the home is contended unless you are super rich (or a Smart customer:)) and the companies could day in and day out supply a product that was 2Mb divided by 48 and they would be within their rights.

If you read my post you would see that I wrote that I have long held reservations about the way the product is marketed by all isps and I have raised the issue with Comreg but they 'don't regulate broadband'.

I never claimed that the BT contention rates were part of their terms and conditions - I found them via the search facility on their site - at least there is some information there - as far as I can see there is no mention anywhere on the NTL site of contention and they of all people ironically enough do not even qualify their speeds by an 'up to'.

But the fact remains that we cannot have bb in the home at an affordable rate without contention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

i love this one:

SNR can vary on an hour to hour basis, not only is it affected by the speed of your connection but there are other things may reduce your SNR. Hot weather can cause a long line to expand.

Eircom should put this in FAQ as we got some good weather lately.

Anyway, my service was going strong without problem for last two years until now.

Eircom is unable to look into the problem and i am going to switch provider as guy next door doesn't have any problems with his service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ratchet wrote:
    i love this one:

SNR can vary on an hour to hour basis, not only is it affected by the speed of your connection but there are other things may reduce your SNR. Hot weather can cause a long line to expand.

Eircom should put this in FAQ as we got some good weather lately.

Anyway, my service was going strong without problem for last two years until now.

Eircom is unable to look into the problem and i am going to switch provider as guy next door doesn't have any problems with his service.

You are stuck with your line - so switching provider may be fruitless.

I have a pretty bad line - I am with Smart but am still dependent on my line - nothing at all that Smart can do about it.

And I can vouch for the line quality varying from hour to hour I can assure you:(

yes it always could be something with my line but fact that it was working fine until recently(maybe two years without a problem) and next door guy which is on the same exchange has utv brodband with ok pings

i would have go with different provider

if doesn't work, it will be cheaper at least

well after all this time my connection issue is fixed

In relation to your query there was an outage in eircom DSL
    network affecting customers authenticated and connected via
    b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net server.

Effect: Intermittant breaks in broadband service/ packets loss and high
    latency.

This issue has been fixed by eircom field engineers and full traffic
    has been
    restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Aye all is well now with me too. I guess that work that was carried out sorted it, or...

I thoroughly cleansed all machines using my router aswell so its slightly possible that that's the reason why.

Three programs you should have running is an AntiVirus, AntiSpyware and Firewall.
    I Use AVG anti-Virus; anti-spyware and use Zonealarm firewall.
    Can't recommend them enough.

Advertisement