Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa vs José

• 24-04-2007 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Anybody see the verbal sparring between the two managers in the lead up to the game tomorrow? José really pushing the boat out now to look like a clown...I have to say I found some of the stuff really amusing and Rafa has been playing it very well and hasn't risen to it :)

José reckons:

* Liverpool have only played 3 games since Xmas (lol)
    * Liverpool will chase Drogba tomorrow night so he gets booked and misses the 2nd leg.
    *Kuyt got booked on purpose in PSV game so he would be eligible for this game.
    *Liverpool are favourites
    .....Ans he is still banging on about the Garcia goal (zzzzzz)

Rafa reckons:

Jose is a big mouth and keeps banging on about his star players and how good they all are and also reckons they tried to get Alonso booked in their 1st leg game 2 years ago.

Can't wait to see what happens after tomorrow nights game, the touchpaper has been light , makes great viewing:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

All of what they both said is true...aside from the 3 games since Christmas :boggle:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think jose is trying to get at the referee rather than liverpool. we hardly have to chase drogba, he is always close to a yellow as he is either going in hard for 50-50s or taking a dive. jose is thinking the ref might think twice before giving him one after his outburst..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

kaimera wrote:
    All of what they both said is true...aside from the 3 games since Christmas :boggle:

Basically saying Liverpool have played nothing games since Xmas and every game Chelski have been involved in was huge :o Does he not see hes winding up the opposition even more, really cant see the wood from the trees sometime and its any wonder they are heading for THE most hated EPL club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

copacetic wrote:
    i think jose is trying to get at the referee rather than liverpool. we hardly have to chase drogba, he is always close to a yellow as he is either going in hard for 50-50s or taking a dive. jose is thinking the ref might think twice before giving him one after his outburst..
    Do ya reckon José might sneak into the referees room in a laundry basket ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Jose is an ungracious embarrassment more than anything else these days.

"Mourinho was asked would he would still be in the Chelsea hot-seat if his record was the same as Benitez's at Liverpool.

'I think you should ask Mr. Buck,' he laughed, looking toward the Chelsea chairman standing nearby. 'But three years without a Premiership, I don't think so!'
    "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Everything he says he says for a reason.
    If he can get an ounce of doubt into the Liverpool dressing room, and get them to consider why they aren't doing well in the league, he will have succedded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    Everything he says he says for a reason.
    If he can get an ounce of doubt into the Liverpool dressing room, .......
    Shock Horror..Liverpool scuppered by Jose comments , as if.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Jose is not a genius. Everything he says has been said before by Fergie and the like. Everytime he opens his mouth these days, the papers/websites/whatever immediately know he's trying to rile the opposition with blatant BS. If we can see through it, what makes you think the players can't?

He was interesting 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

PiE wrote:
    He was interesting 2 years ago.
    i agree, he just sounds like a grumpy old man who is stuck in his way anymore. he used to have carisma and charm, obviously the everybody hates us tactic works better for him. anything he says anymore is just hot air :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Is it just me or is Jose appearance looking really crap lately.
    He looks pale ,underweight and unhealthy . (reminds me of Fergi a few years back)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ROCKMAN wrote:
    He looks pale ,underweight and unhealthy . (reminds me of Fergi a few years back)
    well i reckon he has stopped eating out anyway....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ROCKMAN wrote:
    Nah, it's just you. You mustn't be getting much sleep, that's why you look crap.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Nah, it's just you. You mustn't be getting much sleep, that's why you look crap.
    have not had much sleep, since you started working nights;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Sizzler wrote:
    its any wonder they are heading for THE most hated EPL club.

I dont think they're heading there, i think they are there!! You ask anyone on the street (bar chelsea fans) who they would like to see and most of them wont say Chelsea!

ROCKMAN wrote:
    have not had much sleep, since you started working nights;)
    lol. Took me a while, but I eventually got it.

I think it's actually a testament to how much people hate Chelsea that they are willing to say that they'd prefer United to win the league ahead of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

^Don't worry PHB, Utd is still the team i most don't want to win the league :)

PHB wrote:
    I think it's actually a testament to how much people hate Chelsea that they are willing to say that they'd prefer United to win the league ahead of them
    I think it's success people hate.
    Liverpool , United ,The Gunners and now Chelsea
    All hated when they dominated .

Ah now, that's not just it.
    Success is one thing, but I'd imagine people would have welcomed Chelsea beating both Arsenal and United off their perch.
    It's all about how you act in success.
    United were hated because their fans are apparently smug bastards, because they bought lots of top talent from other teams, and because of Fergies mind games.

Chelsea are hated, not really at all to do with their fans, but because the mind games of Mourinho, the actions of their players, the way they buy players they don't need (like SWP), their overall affect on the game (in terms of money), and also to do with their treatment of refs, by Mourinho, and so called fans (those who sent the death threats).

I'm sure I'm missing a few.
    Chelsea actions have actually managed to supercede United's actions in the past, which is no mean feat. However, all of that could be forgiven, all of it, if they played beautiful football, but they don't, so they are just ugh.

Everybody tends to be hated when they dominate, but some more so than others.

Personally, I think his mind games are doing exactly what they are meant to do. I think there might be one or two Liverpool players who will be thinking about their league performances.
    I also think, it has done the most important team, people are talking about Liverpool as a team, and their problems in the league, rather than the fact that last Sunday Chelsea were shockingly bad against Newcastle, and that in the last month or so, they havn't been playing well at all at all, and that eventually, last minute winners, don't happen every match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

PHB wrote:

I was in the same boat - I really hate Chelsea - until Gary Neville came out a while back saying he wanted to finish his career with United having more league titles than Liverpool...

Come on Chelsea!!

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Chelsea are hated, not really at all to do with their fans, but because the mind games of Mourinho, the actions of their players, the way they buy players they don't need (like SWP), their overall affect on the game (in terms of money), and also to do with their treatment of refs, by Mourinho, and so called fans (those who sent the death threats).
    So you're saying that Utd. players aren't hated for their actions? Roy Keane? Eric Cantona? Gary Neville? All loved by the opposing fans?

Treatment of refs? Didn't the Utd. players invent the whole surrounding the ref after every decision that they didn't agree with?

And Utd. never had any bench warmers eh?

The term AB"U" AB"C" AB"A" etc. was started for Utd.

The simple fact is that success breeds hatred, mainly due to jealousy tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Mourinyo's comments were more for the benefit of the referee than Benitez. I think at this stage he should have realised that Benitez doesn't let his emotions bubble over, like perhaps Arsene Wenger... or Kevin Keegan.

As for Mourinho's conduct in general, I think its poor, I think it reflects badly on the club, it makes them look petty, when as champions they should look magnanimous etc.

So you're saying that Utd. players aren't hated for their actions? Roy Keane? Eric Cantona? Gary Neville? All loved by the opposing fans?

Nope, I'm not. But I think of that group, only Neville is really really hated. Keane and Cantona are disliked by some.
    Treatment of refs? Didn't the Utd. players invent the whole surrounding the ref after every decision that they didn't agree with?

I was talking about the Frisk thing.
    And Utd. never had any bench warmers eh?

None that cost 20 million sterling, no :)
    The term AB"U" AB"C" AB"A" etc. was started for Utd.

The simple fact is that success breeds hatred, mainly due to jealousy tbh.

Maybe, but I think Chelsea have done it in record time. People didn't hate United by 95, it developed over time, Chelsea have been instant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hands up who hates Barcelona....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

most of spain probably :)

PHB wrote:
    Nope, I'm not. But I think of that group, only Neville is really really hated. Keane and Cantona are disliked by some.
    Ah c'mon, there's plenty of people that hate Keane and Cantona.

PHB wrote:
    I was talking about the Frisk thing.
    I know you were and that's fair enough, but the point still stands that Utd.'s players surrounding the ref contributed to them being a hated team.

PHB wrote:
    None that cost 20 million sterling, no :)
    Haha, I'll give you that. ;)
    Buuuuttt.....as a Utd. fan would you have a problem with a £20m player warming the Utd. bench?

PHB wrote:
    Maybe, but I think Chelsea have done it in record time. People didn't hate United by 95, it developed over time, Chelsea have been instant.
    The amount of media cover nowadays and the emergence of the internet, I'd say is a bigger factor than anything Mourinho has said or done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i think its success which breeds arrogance on the part of players and fans that other fans hate.

united may not have intentionally bought any £20m bench warmers, but they have purchased a few turkies for big money which have ended up on the bench!!

I know you were and that's fair enough, but the point still stands that Utd.'s players surrounding the ref contributed to them being a hated team.

Yeh but what top team doesn't do that?
    Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Liverpool all do that.
    Buuuuttt.....as a Utd. fan would you have a problem with a £20m player warming the Utd. bench?

Considering how we need that money elsewhere, it'd be pretty problematic :)

But in general, and I accept the other points you made, but there is a reason why Chelsea have gone from zero to hated at the levels of United, in such a short space of time.
    United did all this stuff over a decade, Chelsea did it all in the space of two years :)
    I think media coverage has advanced, but not that much.

Advertisement