Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I want to iPOD my car!

Options
  • 24-04-2007 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

I am sure this has been asked before but perhaps not.

I have an E class, 2001 model and wish to connect my ipod. Anyone any recommendations?

The car has the OEM audio in it.

I already have the radio frequency transmitter so dotn include this as an option! I got it as an intermediate step, and while only 40 euro and reasonable and handy, sound isnt that great!

Would people recommend just a simple connection in the back of stereo or one of the options like a dension which will enable control thorugh the OEM audio. I have heard that this is quite cumbersome and limited as regards controlling the ipod and that you might be better with a simple cable connection and maybe a cradle and use ipod own controls.

Also anyone any recommendations where to get it done and cost involved?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If you're willing to lose the OEM stereo, a Pioneer headunit with ip-bus connection (most of em have this now) and their IB-100 iPod unit (may be a newer version of that now) are hard to beat. Not the cheapest option, obviously :)

Edit: That dension unit needs your oem stereo to have a CD-changer connection. Its pretty good in that your steering wheel controls will still work, but you lose your CD changer if installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I just bought a new Pioneer head unit off PixMania.com which arrived today. I did neglect to check if it came with the iPod cable, but if you buy off CarAudio.ie it does for the same money.

My unit was a DEH-4900IB and it cost me €200. SafeSounds in Drumcondra will fit the same unit (with cable) for €250. I seriously reckon that is value for money after the hassle I had today.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

simplest and cheapest thing to do is pop down to the spectra photo shop down (top or bottom dunno which it is!) grafton street, near the molly malone statue and buy a griffen itrip €50, plug it into the bottom of the ipod, set the fm frequency and, tune your radio and away you go. i have a lexus is250 which has a headphone jack in the armrest from connecting and ipod or similar into the stero, which is handy and works fine but i find that it can be annoying having a headphone cable trailing around the front of the car sometimes, this way you can throw the ipod on the passenger seat or back seat passangers can take the ipod and play wireless DJ to their hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Hi thanks for the replies so far

I actually have a kensington FM transmitter which is the equivalent of the iTrip. Sound qulaity isnt great though.

I do have a cd changer so maybe the dension might be good but just have heard that navigation through the iPOD menus with this is quite limited and cumbersome. Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

i recently got an alpine head unit fitted the ipod cable goes from the back of it into the glove box and you dont need to go near the ipod at all as all the menus on ipod are accessable through the radio ,proper job very happy i got it ,gary in GW autos is the business for all electrical stuff like that 0868228014 and alpine is by far the best audio out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

PoleStar wrote:
    I do have a cd changer so maybe the dension might be good but just have heard that navigation through the iPOD menus with this is quite limited and cumbersome. Is this true?
    I don't think people should be using the full iPod menu when driving. It's a complete distraction, on my old Pioneer setup I had playlists set up which I could switch between. Similar to a CD changer.

I'm not sure what the menu will be like on the new setup but I reckon I will stick with the playlists for safety reasons. Usually I just save my albums I am listening to as playlist each. I will have max 20 playlists at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ZygOte wrote:
    simplest and cheapest thing to do is pop down to the spectra photo shop down (top or bottom dunno which it is!) grafton street, near the molly malone statue and buy a griffen itrip €50, plug it into the bottom of the ipod,

Read his post ZygOte.

I agree PoleStar the radio transmitter really downgrade the quality of music.

Advertisement