Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Semi Final Leg 2

• 24-04-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

So, Utd win on the night 3 - 2. How will things pan out at the San Siro?

Evra is suspended, making Utd's defensive situation even more desperate.

"Patrice Evra is banned for the return leg. Ferguson confirmed it will come too soon for Nemanja Vidic, adding: 'We've eight days hopefully to get Rio [Ferdinand] fit.' One option is to move Fletcher into the back four but his manager, calling his fellow Scot 'outstanding' in the midfield, is reluctant to do that."

So no Vidic and likely to be no Neville. Ferdinand might be fit.

Milan come out with 2 away goals but that finish must have been a blow. We shall have to see how serious Gattuso's injury was.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Milan to turn it around with a 7-1 victory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I still think Vidic is a minor minor possibility. Ferdinand might be fit, but he shouldn't be rushed back. That said, he recovers from injury very quickly.

So much will depend on injuries in this game.
    If none of the back 3 missing can get fit, it means nobody will be in midfield to contain Kaka, yes Fletcher contained Kaka as much as anyone could tonight :).
    On the other hand, if Gattuso is missing for Milan, that's a major major boost for United. United came alive when he went off the pitch

p.s. I think Kaka will defo get booked in the 2nd leg, and will be out for the final no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

After tonight, I'm not impressed with AC at all.

Utd ftw on the overall tie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

PHB wrote:
    So much will depend on injuries in this game.
    If none of the back 3 missing can get fit, it means nobody will be in midfield to contain Kaka, yes Fletcher contained Kaka as much as anyone could tonight :).
    On the other hand, if Gattuso is missing for Milan, that's a major major boost for United. United came alive when he went off the pitch
    As much as I hate Richardson, I'd consider playing him at left back and sticking with the other ten if nobody returns from injury. The 4-2-3-1 formation worked well tonight and theres nobody to replace the very impressive Fletcher beside Carrick within that formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Milan official site:
    Rino Gattuso suffered a knock to the sole of his foot and left the field due to the pain. However, things are looking optimistic in regards to his condition and for his recovery for Milan-Manchester. He should be there for the return leg at the San Siro. Paolo Maldini’s situation will be evaluated. Patrice Evra will not be able to play because he received a second yellow card tonight and will be suspended for the second leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Jesus if Neville, Evra, Ferdinand and Vidic are out for next week who the feck are we gonna play in defence (Fletcher, Brown, O Shea and Heinze no doubt). With only 1 first team defender playing last night I think it was a superb result. Then again the only 1'st team defender playing last night was the poorest of the 4 backs. This is prob a good opportunity for Heinze to reclaim his first team place.

Well, I'd rather Richardson as leftback, as it would allow Fletcher to play in midfield again.

Last night was pretty poor defensivly, we concedded twice, once due to Evra actually :)

I think Heinze is trying to make his name as a CB again, so he becomes 3rd choice CB and 2nd choice LB. If he can get that, I think he'll stay at United.

Gattuso in is a huge blow to United, ah well :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Fletcher will drop to defence and Smith will play...Dunno why he wasn't playing last night or at least put on as a sub later

(Not that I'm complaining about result mind you...)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Richardson should play left back if Rio isn't fit.

If they play at a high tempo again at the San Siro then Milan will be heading out of the CL. Milan looked very tired in the last 20 minutes of that game last night. If it wasn't for Nesta United could have been in a much better position going into the second leg.

Also Kaka was awesome in the first half. Lets hope he can't repeat that...

Ah now, a lot of United's success came from Gattuso being injured. Had he stayed on the pitch, the result might have been different.
    I'm not saying Milan players in general couldn't keep up with the pace, but Gattuso could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote:
    Ah now, a lot of United's success came from Gattuso being injured. Had he stayed on the pitch, the result might have been different.
    I'm not saying Milan players in general couldn't keep up with the pace, but Gattuso could.
    and milans success came from 3 of our first choice defenders being injured.

Indeed it did, but our three first choice defenders won't be back, while Gattuso will be, which is something to keep in mind when analysising this game to get results for the next game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree that it would be best to keep Fletcher in midfield if possible, he had two terrific games against Roma and Milan, but if I saw Richardson lining up at the San Siro I think I'd faint.
    On a related note, that booking for Evra was harsh in the highest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I know the worst case scenario looks pretty bad defensively but on the other hand if Neville and Ferdinand are both back, with Heinze on the left of the defence its a pretty big improvement on last night (on paper at least).

Is there any sign of Louis Saha getting fit? He would be great outlet to have up front, take some heat off some of the players behind him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

padser wrote:
    I know the worst case scenario looks pretty bad defensively but on the other hand if Neville and Ferdinand are both back, with Heinze on the left of the defence its a pretty big improvement on last night (on paper at least).

Is there any sign of Louis Saha getting fit? He would be great outlet to have up front, take some heat off some of the players behind him
    Saha is fit, according to fergie and the docs at United, its just Saha saying he isn't - so he is gone in the summer.

Advertisement