Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Age Card

• 24-04-2007 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

I seen a glance on the news that there's some new Dept Justice age card that costs ten Euro. Are these out? Does this mean bouncers are gonna start rejecting the old ones?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Doubt they'll reject the old ones.

Thought it was hilarious to hear about them myself - they're charging more for them due to "a new fangled system which will make them more difficult to copy and produce fakes"

Fail to see why we should pay more for that privilege!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Was gonna ask the same question, having no luck finding pictures of the new ones even but according to the news 3000 were posted out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

seen it on the six one news so if you hop over to rte.ie im sure there'll be a link to it.

pretty pathetic if you ask me, but was particularly interested in the security features. maybe its just me but i dont ever recall seeing a bouncer with a swipe machine under his arm so how the hell is that meant to be usefull in preventing underage drinkers getting into pubs. in fact where the hell have you ever seen someone swipe an identity card ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

in fact where the hell have you ever seen someone swipe an identity card ?
    Well, given that there is no mechanism for storage on the current cards it would be difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

So help me God if the bouncing staff start demanding these. I don't want to put up with that awful wait for the thing to come and they can ask me bollix if they think I'm bringing my passport out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

pretty pathetic if you ask me, but was particularly interested in the security features. maybe its just me but i dont ever recall seeing a bouncer with a swipe machine under his arm so how the hell is that meant to be usefull in preventing underage drinkers getting into pubs. in fact where the hell have you ever seen someone swipe an identity card ? :confused:

Lol, chip and pin Id Cards,

Bouncer: "Type in your pin there!!"

invalid pin

Bouncer: "Sorry you are not old enough."

yup, but i cant really imagine pubs with a slidy thing at the entrance for the garda i.d. then again some pubs do have passport checker thingys so.

basquille wrote:
    Thought it was hilarious to hear about them myself - they're charging more for them due to "a new fangled system which will make them more difficult to copy and produce fakes"

Wait, wasn't that the push before on the (now older) age cards, with the state of the art hologram?

All I remember was the 9 month wait for the fecking old ones and ironicly I never needed it after I got it.

Ok searched google yahoo and the rte website and i have still found no information on theese new sequrity features or a picture.

From what i could see on the news the only new security feature i saws was the raised lettering(like a credit card)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here it is from BreakingNews.ie:
    Call for ID card to combat underage drinking

A national ID card should be compulsory for everyone over the age of 18, according to a leading alcohol-abuse awareness group.

Mature Enjoyment of Alcohol in Society (MEAS) welcomed the launch today of a voluntary new tamper-proof garda age card, but called for the roll-out of a compulsory identification card to combat under-age drinking.

The group has also criticised the €10 levy on the card, which it argues will discourage young people from applying.

“There is little doubt that a national compulsory Age Card scheme would help reduce the problem of underage drinking. It would certainly help pubs and off-licence premises to properly police the underage drinking law, and it would also help parents in addressing issues around alcohol with their teenage children,” said MEAS Chief Executive Fionnuala Sheehan.

Research undertaken by MEAS two years ago revealed that 80% of parents supported a national ID policy. That same research also found 69% of 16 and 17 year olds admitted to using false ID cards to get into places serving alcohol.

The card, which is equipped with high level security deterrents to safeguard against forgery or theft, was launched by Minister for Justice Michael McDowell.

It includes an encoded magnetic strip, security links, holograms and special printing features ensuring it cannot be copied.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=MHAUQLQLOJGB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They'll prob make us get a postal order to pay for this one too and not take a credit card.

Couldn't find anything on rte.ie either which I found odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

pointless imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Most underage drinkers I know just use a friend's or older sibling's age card to get into pubs/clubs. They only have to look a little like the picture to convince the bouncers. They'll do the same with these new cards so it's a waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

ronoc wrote:
    All I remember was the 9 month wait for the fecking old ones and ironicly I never needed it after I got it.

Indeed, mine took forever as well ("What is your role in the Department of Justice?", was asked many a time in English airports):) . I used to use it for travelling back and forth to England and then got a passport. That was a while ago now though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Wasn't the last one supposed to be virtually impossible to forge?

Pfft... If I remember correctly there was a big deal over some places not taking them too - only accepting passport/driver licence. Anyone for more of the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'm pissed off about the fact I only applied for an age card 3 weeks ago and it's going to be out of date as soon as I get it.
    Haven't even got it yet either and my passport is in bad enough shape already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Caliden wrote:
    I'm pissed off about the fact I only applied for an age card 3 weeks ago and it's going to be out of date as soon as I get it.
    Haven't even got it yet either and my passport is in bad enough shape already.
    I was at the launch today (it was in Trinity and I was meeting people there).
    Apparently
    * It is very resistant to forgery
    * The system will work alot faster now (It will no longer be six weeks+)
    * You can give in your old card and get a new one free of charge.

Cool, though there's probably some catch.

Cool, though there's probably some catch.
    I asked one of the Gardai with the red bits (high-ranking) who was there. You have to reapply fully, with your age card stuck on, then you don't have to pay the €10. It's only available for a limited time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Cos88

I really should get one of these...

...but then again, I'm only 18 and have been "going out" well over a year now, and not once have I been asked for an age card.

Passport works every time, even though I'm feckin 14 in it! Bring my student ID aswell just in case, and only remember ever needing it twice.

Cos88 wrote:
    Passport works every time, even though I'm feckin 14 in it! Bring my student ID aswell just in case, and only remember ever needing it twice.
    Passports are very valuable to steal, be careful.

I asked one of the Gardai with the red bits (high-ranking) who was there. You have to reapply fully, with your age card stuck on, then you don't have to pay the €10. It's only available for a limited time.

Ah-ha.

Not too bad though, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Cos88

Passports are very valuable to steal, be careful.

I never thought about that to be honest. I usually either leave it in my back pocket or give it to someone to put in their handbag. Might get an age card just to be safe!

I was at the launch today (it was in Trinity and I was meeting people there).
    Apparently
    * It is very resistant to forgery
    * The system will work alot faster now (It will no longer be six weeks+)

Ah, so that's what McDowell was doing there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Making it more resistant to forgery is a bit silly. I've never seen anyone try forge one. People just take advantage of how awfully blurry the photos are, by lending them to younger siblings!
    Only once (in 3 years since I turned 18) can I remember a bouncer questioning my age card and I don't look much like my picture at all anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I don't look much like my picture at all anymore.

The picture on mine is barely visible in good light, not to mind at the door of a night club - it's nearly 5 years old. Get asked for it frequently, have never had any hassle with it. Might get a new one to because it's so much less hassle than carrying a passport.

xebec wrote:
    The picture on mine is barely visible in good light, not to mind at the door of a night club - it's nearly 5 years old. Get asked for it frequently, have never had any hassle with it.
    Same as regards the condition of my age card.. it's scratched beyond belief as i applied before they got laminated.

I get asked for it a fair bit and most bouncers are fine but a couple make me promise them i'll get a new one.

If i can get it for free, i will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

basquille wrote:
    If i can get it for free, i will.

do you reckon they will replace a 5year old one for free....? i doubt it, i look nothing like mine, packed on a few pounds and a lot of hair since i was 18 and the picture is faded. i dont really get asked only in one nite club really, but if i can free upgrade il do it

• Advertisement

gucci wrote:
    do you reckon they will replace a 5year old one for free....? i doubt it, i look nothing like mine, packed on a few pounds and a lot of hair since i was 18 and the picture is faded.
    If you were to provide a new photo, then possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

and how long is this 'limited time' ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Saw the title of this thread and had an image of a bunch of crusty tree huggers going around presenting their bonafides to people trying to remove them from their protest swamp ! :D

whats the wait time lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

The age card is incredibly handy I find, I've never had problems with it and think they're a great idea! I don't want to have to hand it back in and be without it for another 6 weeks though, I've only had it a few months and don't like carrying my license or passport.

Will the doormen out there be made fully aware of this new card? I can imagine that initially bouncers will claim ignorance to it "This isn't the age card, I know the age card... blah blah blah"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

They wont be claiming ignorance because most of them are just that thick:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I thought from the thread title that this was about something hippy in an alternative kind of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Dutchology

On top of all of this, the age card that I do have, which I applied for and eventually received when I was 18, does not seem to be deemed acceptable by several door staff! More than once I have been denied entry because they don't believe I'm 18...

/me heads off to apply for a new one... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Yeah like waiting 2 months to get one. Plus you'll probably have to hand in your old one before you can apply for the new one leaving you sans ID for 2 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I applied for mine 5 weeks ago, so will they be sending me a new or an old one?

obl wrote:
    I applied for mine 5 weeks ago, so will they be sending me a new or an old one?
    All new issued cards should be new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I only paid the €6 tho. Suppose if they're reissuing for free tho...

Got my present age card in less than 3 weeks and could believe my luck cause of freind of mine was waiting from summer to crimbo for his.

Tbh i nearly couldnt be arsed applying for a new one ive only had my present one since febuary, i dont wanna have to wait ages and lets face it because everyones gonna be getting a reissue theres gonna be massive demand and therefore waiting times.

The only way i would replace it would be to change my picture, honestly i dont see how the garda did it. The picture i gave up was perfectly normal but in the pic thats on my card it looks like im wearing full goth makeup(which i have never once in my life worn). Its like they spent time photoshopping the fudging thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,481 ✭✭✭✭cson

My neighbours a guard and I thought he was joking when he said I could be waiting 6 weeks for one. Sent off for it in Sept, it arrived the week before Christmas. Madness.

As for using your passport, as far as I'm aware its illegal to carry your passport unless you intend on leaving the country. (something about it being the govts property). Well heading across the bridge to tipperary counts as leaving the country for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Ruen

cson wrote:
    As for using your passport, as far as I'm aware its illegal to carry your passport unless you intend on leaving the country. (something about it being the govts property). Well heading across the bridge to tipperary counts as leaving the country for me.
    You can carry it with you for ID purposes, it's illegal to sell it or destroy it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Someone i know was told he couldn't get an Age Card cos he was nearly 22 and too old. Is this really the case?
    I know you're not meant to have to carry ID after you're 23 but if you're still getting asked for ID are you just stuck with your passport?

Also mine took 13 weeks to get (about 3 years ago) It seems to have gotten slower since.

Someone i know was told he couldn't get an Age Card cos he was nearly 22 and too old. Is this really the case?
    No.. definitely not the case.

Available to anyone over the age of 18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Lovely stuff.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Just recieved the new age card. applied for it as I lost my old one. paid €6 heh heh heh.

They look very busy. Theres bits of it that are see through, and it's covered in holograms.

Anyone have a list of it's security features?

I prefer my old one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Where do I apply for said card?

Same process as the old one, afaik. Up to the Garda station with photographs, fill out the form and pay the cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement