Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Raw match ever?

• 24-04-2007 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This was a topic discussed by Bryan Alvarez on his site and it's something JR said in commentary, namely that Cena vs Michaels is quite possibly the greatest Raw match ever. I won't spoil the ending in case anyone hasn't seen it yet but I will say the match is definitely worth going out of your way to see. I intend to watch the match again on Thursday and to tape it. It was PPV quality and easily above four stars.

I got to thinking about the issue of the greatest Raw match ever and I too can't think of another match that I enjoyed more than last night's one.

So what's the greatest Raw match of all time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Haven't seen the match everyone seems to be talking about, actually deleted Raw from Sky+ due to lack of space and thought it might be a slow week, doh! So I must pencil in Thur. replay.

I'm not sure if its the greatest match in terms of technical performance and overall ring work, but the night Mick Foley won the title on Raw stands out to me as the best main event I ever saw on Raw. I cannot remember another Raw match that I was so glued to, and I marked out silly when he won the belt.The image of Austin beltin it down to save the day and then Foley Hoisted on the wrestlers shoulders after he won :rolleyes: ..ahhhh. - Boy did Tony Schiavone Fudge up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

It may have just been the greatest RAW match ever. But thinking about it, I would have to say Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho Vs. Stone Cold and Triple H (The two man power trip) back in May of 2001 was the greatest RAW match ever. It featured four of the best to step into the ring in the past 15-20 years and even though Triple H got injured, he managed to finish the match. For me this had a rare combination of good wrestling, entertainment and it also personified the true meaning of WWE superstar - go through hell to entertain the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tlc 2002 is up there,mankind vs rock is there too that was brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

You're all wrong :)
    Shawn Michaels v Owen Hart, it was either at the end of 1997 or the beginning of 98, but it was stacks better than anything they ever did on PPV :)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

The night Foley won the title was very special.

As matches go, Austin and Triple H versus Benoit and Jericho would have to be up there for me. Other ones in the distant past would be Perfect versus Flair I believe on the first show and Owen Hart versus the British Bulldog for the European title in 1997.

I remember that Owen Hart- Michaels match. It was very good. I was out my chair as a kid about 10 times during the match thinking Owen had won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

There is no way that Cena v Michaels was the best match ever on RAW. It was good, no doubt, but while it was long it wasnt all that entertaining for large periods of time. If you had a cent for every time JR said a Main Event was the best match in RAW history you would be considerably richer than you are now!

For me the best match in RAW history was Chris Benoit v Kurt Angle in a Steel Cage, June 4 2001. A spectacular match with the two best wrestlers in the world at that moment. And the highlight reel moment of angle moonsaulting off the top of the cage. Great stuff:)

I was gonna say Austin v Benoit in Edmonton 2001 but just realised that was Smackdown! I guess that will have to just be classified as my best match in WWE television history! Ten german suplexes and a super hot crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

woooo232 wrote:
    I was gonna say Austin v Benoit in Edmonton 2001 but just realised that was Smackdown! I guess that will have to just be classified as my best match in WWE television history! Ten german suplexes and a super hot crowd!

I remember that. What a match. Pity it was Smackdown...

Greatest raw match. Mankind vs The Rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

Hbk Vs Shelton Benjamin from a year or two ago instantly jumps to my mind. Think it was in a tournament for the number 1 contendership,the gold rush or something like that.

I know there were probably other matches that il think of later on but this match was so fast from the outset with counter after counter and had a sick finish that came from nowhere, when Hbk caught Benjamin with sweet chin music when benjamin did his leapfrog from the toprope across the ring.

Twas the last match on raw that had me jumping from my seat.

ACTUALLY!! I just thought of what i think is the best ever raw match!! Taker Vs Jeff Hardy for the world title in a ladder match.
    I was marking out big time when Hardy was climbing that ladder and was nearly thro the roof when he touched that title with his hands and just as he did BOOOOM,chokeslam off the ladder.

And the end was great too when it looked like Taker was coming back into pummel him after the bell and just picked Hardy up raised his hand and looked at him in disbelief at his guts.

Better times........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I remember seeing shelton in a great match last year, it could be the match TODAWG is talking about, i am not sure. But i reckon that was the best match in raw history.
    I know it sounds stupid talking about a great match and i cant even remember who was fighting, all i know is that is was shelton.

I was impressed by some spirit squad matches last year too. I like short matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 eoinaldhino

i seem to remember a hell in a cell on raw (cant remember who was in it)

that cena and micheals was very gud aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

woooo232 wrote:
    For me the best match in RAW history was Chris Benoit v Kurt Angle in a Steel Cage, June 4 2001. A spectacular match with the two best wrestlers in the world at that moment. And the highlight reel moment of angle moonsaulting off the top of the cage. Great stuff:)
    I agree 100%. Austin was on commenatry for that match if I remember correctly and he was marking out for it even though he was meant to be a heel at the time. Another match that stands out for me was Mick Foley Vs. Terry Funk. It was a falls count anywhere match and it defined what that type of match should be. JR was on the ball with the commentary:
    'Oh the hot dog guy just got it! OH THE HOT DOG GUY JUST GOT IT AGAIN!!!!!'
    That just reminds me of another great falls count anywhere match on RAW...Cactus Jack Vs. HHH. The match where Cactus was introduced for the first time in WWE. Fantastic match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I heard Jr saying on raw that the main event was possibly one of the best raw matches ever.It definitley would be in my top 3 raw main event matches ever..
    I think that it even toppled the wrestlemania match that those two had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Just to add a few to the list
    Flair v Edge TLC match
    RVD V Christean Cage ladder match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i cant think of anything really the only match that comes to my mind from the standard shows is from smackdown when Lesnar and big show broke the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

evad_lhorg wrote:
    smackdown when Lesnar and big show broke the ring.
    Yeah that was good. I would go with Jeff Hardy V Johnny Nitro in a ladder match for the IC title it was easily a PPV worthy match and possibly the best I have seen on Raw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

HBK vs HHH in the final raw of 05 (i think).
    Everyone was sure that HBK had won the title but the bisch SCREWED him over!
    Great match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Jericho Vs HHH for the title. Jericho wins only to have the decision reversed the next week. Think this might have been one of those matchs where the crowd made it seem more awesome than it was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

woooo232 wrote:

I just posted that vid in the video sticky - but damn the quality is a bit ****ty

I have all the RAW's from that year, i might dig it out and try upload a better VQ version of it :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I have all the RAW's from that year, i might dig it out and try upload a better VQ version of it :)

VR!

good man/woman/small child/old angry man/whatever :)

• Advertisement

Share thre Wealth and all that. I generally don't bother with this sort of stuff, but seeing as i know the date it happened on, thats half my work done for me :D

Granted it won't last long on youtube, but i cant be bothered waiting forever on yousendit or rapidshare to upload it. :)

VR!

Advertisement