Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the most important issue facing the North-West ??...

• 24-04-2007 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

The North-West is facing a multitude of problem's , but what do you consider this forum could highlight 'As the most important ?..

P, :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Di*kheads going to A&E in Letterkenny with a graze on their knee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

1. Lack of new industries.

2. Better infrastructure.

3. Appalling road fatalities figures (general behavior of minority of road users)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

1. Unemployment
    2. Infrastructure
    • Roads
    • Internet access
    3. Overbuilding.
    • a. Character of town centers being changed/destroyed by new development.
    • b. Too many (obvious) holiday homes.
    4. Price of houses (too high).
    5. Unemployment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Below par healthcare, infrastructure lagging far behind and house prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

All of the aforementioned, plus increased secularisation of the people,
    and revamped organisation of government at a local level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Going by the board the biggest issue is...who is muffler. Althou I suspect it could possibly be the complete lack of infrastructure we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

1. Lack of new industries
    2. Quality of Healthcare
    3. Infrastructure (Roads, broadband access, water)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

retalivity wrote:
    All of the aforementioned, plus increased secularisation of the people,
    and revamped organisation of government at a local level.

Are you saying that we should go back to being under the Church's thumb?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Inequality in health care provision
    Lack of public transport in rural areas (over reliance of car, lack of western rail service, lack of joined up public bus service)
    Developer led planning rather than needs led.
    Lack of respect for unique environment.
    Issues of isolation, loneliness and a dwindling of protective social infrastructure and lack of primary mental health care.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

bettlebrox wrote:
    1. Unemployment

5. Unemployment

Why is this such a big problem? I've not heard anything about a large amount of unemployment in the northwest, where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ill side with the Health care bandwagon thanks :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

smashey wrote:
    Are you saying that we should go back to being under the Church's thumb?

nope, the influence of the church in donegal, particularly rural communities, should be limited further. Tied in with this should be the a change to local and county government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Why is this such a big problem? I've not heard anything about a large amount of unemployment in the northwest,

I would have to say employment is an issue that defintely needs to be addressed in the N.W. There have been HUNDREDS of jobs lost in Sligo alone in the past year and a half, with all the factories closing such as Saehan and there's others in Finisklin, I can't remember the names.
    Also there aren't enough graduate opportunities. Yeah, there's Abbots which recruits grads but nowhere else! I think they're not doing enough to attract young professionals into the N.W. Makes me think whats the point of having the local IT's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Road deaths.

The councils and gardai should be doing a bit more - in fact if they done anything it would be classed as doing more

Why is this such a big problem? I've not heard anything about a large amount of unemployment in the northwest, where are you based?
    Donegal has the highest unemployment in the country. In the Donegal Town area, Hospira closed, with a loss of 560 jobs, and Magee's closed their manufacturing in Donegal and moved it to cheaper countries (I'm not sure how many people were laid off). The only new big job prospects in the future are a new shopping center (where Magee's factory is), and another luxury hotel around at Lough Eske Castle ...

Plus, I think the fishing industry in Killybegs is hurting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Ok I didn't know that. The service industry appears to be expanding still in the area but they aren't very secure jobs. What can be done then?

muffler wrote:
    Road deaths.

The councils and gardai should be doing a bit more - in fact if they done anything it would be classed as doing more

I don't know. Sure what else can they do?, cos they seem to be doing alot already with the drink driving testing and speed cameras and the advertising campaigns. I suppose they could upgrade the bad roads, but that's an ongoing issue, it will always need to be done regardless of who's in govt. It's not the govt. fault if a 'boy racer' decides to rob a car and acts the eejit in it then kills someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Madge wrote:
    I don't know. Sure what else can they do?, cos they seem to be doing alot already with the drink driving testing and speed cameras and the advertising campaigns. I suppose they could upgrade the bad roads, but that's an ongoing issue, it will always need to be done regardless of who's in govt. It's not the govt. fault if a 'boy racer' decides to rob a car and acts the eejit in it then kills someone
    Something to be debated in a different thread perhaps but we had better not pull this one off topic as such

muffler wrote:
    Something to be debated in a different thread perhaps but we had better not pull this one off topic as such

The question was 'The North-West is facing a multitude of problems but what do you consider this forum could highlight 'As the most important ?'..
    Sorry, but I would have thought the issue of road safety AND why or why not it's important is worthy of discussion in this thread?

Madge wrote:
    if a 'boy racer' decides to rob a car and acts the eejit in it then kills someone

the problem isn't joyriding, its 'boyracers' that act like 'eejit' all the time.
    just drive around any NW town on a Saturday nite and the problem becomes very evident. cars trying racer each other, tailgating, speeding, there all regular incidents.

i'd like to see more unmarked garda cars. The checkpoint system does produce better figures for catching drunk drivers, unlicensed or uninsured drivers, but wont catch dangerous drivers, the ones who will kill someone one day.

• Advertisement

Ok I didn't know that. The service industry appears to be expanding still in the area but they aren't very secure jobs. What can be done then?
    Need more manufacturing/IT jobs, as they input more cash into the local economy than most service jobs, things that could make Donegal more attractive are better transport links to where the markets are; Dublin, UK, & Europe. Think a nice dual-carraigeway to Dublin and/or even a connector to the M1 in Northern Ireland, so businesses can get their goods quicker & cheaper to market.

Also, improved Internet access to attract businesses in the IT world, currently Derry has the best connectivity in the North/North-West. With serious broadband that modern IT businesses need, LIT could center itself as a IT hub providing trained programmers and IT staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ctc_celtic wrote:
    the problem isn't joyriding, its 'boyracers' that act like 'eejit' all the time.
    just drive around any NW town on a Saturday nite and the problem becomes very evident. cars trying racer each other, tailgating, speeding, there all regular incidents.

That's an irritation more than a problem.

That's an irritation more than a problem.

so road deaths aren't a problem, its people that behave like this that are killing themselves and others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I think the most important issue is the lack of industry/qualified jobs. I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and love Donegal but am forced to live away from home to have a decent job to suite my qualification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Glenman wrote:
    I think the most important issue is the lack of industry/qualified jobs. I have a degree in Electronic Engineering and love Donegal but am forced to live away from home to have a decent job to suite my qualification

Now is the best time for you to raise this issue, with your T.D.s and your local County Councillors. I know how frustrating it is, but lobbying pre election is truly the best time.

All thier telephone numbers are on the web, do not be backward about coming forward, believe me you could help yoursel and many others. So ring them or put it in writing.

It needs to be done . Good luck.

P.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brianwilliams82

Glenman wrote:

Exactly the same for me. I have a Computer Engineering degree (very similar) but could find NOTHING in Sligo. No company would give me a chance. I'm now happily working in Blanchardstown for the last 6 months, but a big part of me wants to be able to work a job like this in Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Paddy20 wrote:
    The North-West is facing a multitude of problem's , but what do you consider this forum could highlight 'As the most important ?..

Small-minded insularity, and dependance. People in the NW are very insular, don't see enouh of the world at large, and grumble about their "problems" expecting to be handed a solution, rather than solving them themselves.

Advertisement