Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wireless broadband

• 25-04-2007 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Since I bought a new Toshiba satellite p100 and installed a belkin router N1, I cannot download a big file from the internet since it stops mid way through and doesn't reconnect.
    Any hints?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dlco

The problem would appear to be the router dropping the connection, you could try and test you the 'command window' and issue the ping command.
    e.g.
    c:\ping yahoo.com -t

You will see if you are dropping the connection to the outside world. If this fails then try and ping the router. Are you using WIFI or a wired connection to the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mancal

dlco wrote:
    The problem would appear to be the router dropping the connection, you could try and test you the 'command window' and issue the ping command.
    e.g.
    c:\ping yahoo.com -t

You will see if you are dropping the connection to the outside world. If this fails then try and ping the router. Are you using WIFI or a wired connection to the router?
    Sorry, dlco I'm a bit new in these matters. How can I ping the server? Or what command do I have to put if I'm on estatbt? Thanks

I've manage to print the router and it doesn't seem to be experiencing any problem. Could it be any settings in the laptop? Other thing is that I canot listen to the radio for longer than 30-40 seconds through the new laptop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

TBH, sounds more like a networking problem than a specific laptop problem.

Moved from laptops.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There have been issues around drivers and wireless cards in centrino based laptops have you checked the manufacturers website for any driver updates or googled to see if any other users of that laptop are having problems with wireless connections? Also what settings have you got the belkin at?

Is it set for 'n' or just 'g' setting it for 'g' might be preferable in this case.

• Advertisement

I have checked the toshiba website with no joy.
    The router is set to N1. Can I change this?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mancal wrote:
    I have checked the toshiba website with no joy.
    The router is set to N1. Can I change this?

There should be an option around where it shows N1 to set it to G - have you checked the manual? If the router is set to N and your laptop has a built in g wireless card then they will not connect. (Have a look at page 43 of the manual)

Advertisement