Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a German Shepard

Options
  • 25-04-2007 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I am looking a german shepard but am just wondering how much money am I going to need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Padjo1981 wrote:
    I am looking a german shepard but am just wondering how much money am I going to need.

I'd be more worried about the breeder than the cost especially for a GSD, there is a lot of people just breeding them for the sole purpose of amking money and the dogs their breeding are very unstable a ticking time bomb.

Check out http://www.geocities.com/agacampgsd/ or The Irish German Shepherd Association http://www.gsaireland.com or http://www.bochaka.com/ the Kennel Club www.ikc.com will also have the contacts for other breeders..

Make sure if your buying a puppy that you see both parents if not one.

Also check the papers to make sure that the dog is from a good predgree.

Expect to pay in the region of at least E500 and do'nt go for the cheapest or the dearest check around with the clubs, etc are you interested in a working dog or a pet, there are lines which are more towards working and may not be suitable as pets.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Vas_Guy wrote:
    I'd be more worried about the breeder than the cost especially for a GSD, there is a lot of people just breeding them for the sole purpose of amking money and the dogs their breeding are very unstable a ticking time bomb.

I think you have GS breeders in general to thank for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was at a dog show recently, and was shocked at the state of the so called 'show standard' German Shepherd.
    I dont think this fashion of the sloping back and quarters is healthy, nor does it look right.
    I'd be very careful about buying one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Bambi wrote:
    I think you have GS breeders in general to thank for that.

Agreed too much interbreeding, i also agree the breed standard has dropped.

If you want a big dog, try a breed thats uncommon in Ireland like try a malamute the standard should be quite good as the breed standard is not ruined by the breeders in ireland at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I know the general advice on here is to buy a dog from the kennel club or whatever... but judging by what I saw at a dog show recently, I think I'd be very careful.
    What seems to be happening to some breeds is nothing short of cruelty... I'm thinking of GSDs, daschunds, irish wolfhounds etc....

I think I'll go and start a new thread actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

just make sure breeder supplies xray of hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

Thanks all for the advice, find it usefull. Are The Malamutes hard to find?? I want a large dog, but I don't want to spend thousands on getting the animal
    Vas_Guy wrote:

If you want a big dog, try a breed thats uncommon in Ireland like try a malamute the standard should be quite good as the breed standard is not ruined by the breeders in ireland at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Would this be your first dog?
    If so ...don't get a Malamute. They tend to be independent, stubborn and thickheaded ...plus they're very big and strong on top of it.

Very little joy to be had out of them for a novice.

Have a look around the rescues ...big dogs are hard to shift, there should be plenty big'uns around in all colours and shapes.

No it is not my first, I have had springers all my life. and have a springer lab cross now and I want to get a companion for him
    peasant wrote:
    Would this be your first dog?
    If so ...don't get a Malamute. They tend to be independent, stubborn and thickheaded ...plus they're very big and strong on top of it.

Very little joy to be had out of them for a novice.

Have a look around the rescues ...big dogs are hard to shift, there should be plenty big'uns around in all colours and shapes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Hi, don't mean to hijack the thread, but I too am looking into getting a German Shepherd. I've done a bit of research on the breed on various websites but something I haven't really seen is do they shed their hair? I know their coats come short or long - do one or both varieties shed?

I have found a breeder of the malamute in Ireland, but am just curious as to prices in england, is it cheaper to go and get one there or get it here

Vas_Guy wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Branoic wrote:
    ....do they shed their hair? I know their coats come short or long - do one or both varieties shed?

Both shed their hair ...and quite a lot of it (like almost all dogs)
    The long hair leaves a greater mess, but is easier to remove. Short hair doesn't immediatedly hit the eye but is a pain to get out of carpets, upholstery and so on.
    Padjo1981 wrote:
    I have found a breeder of the malamute in Ireland, but am just curious as to prices in england, is it cheaper to go and get one there or get it here

Don't buy by price alone. The quality, knowlege and care of the breeder is most important.

A few hundred saved on buying could easily be spent on medical bills later on.

(Of course the dearest breeder isn't automatically the best one either)

I am just looking for a rough guide on the price, I will e putting in alot of research into the breeder before I decide on any dog. But I don't want to be taken for all I have either
    peasant wrote:
    Both shed their hair ...and quite a lot of it (like almost all dogs)
    The long hair leaves a greater mess, but is easier to remove. Short hair doesn't immediatedly hit the eye but is a pain to get out of carpets, upholstery and so on.

Don't buy by price alone. The quality, knowlege and care of the breeder is most important.

A few hundred saved on buying could easily be spent on medical bills later on.

(Of course the dearest breeder isn't automatically the best one either)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I have a pedigree german shepard, long haired. The bitch was mated with a kruffs champion, lovely dog, got the dog of a good neighbour so I know the bitches history. The lads are right though make sure you do a good check on the dog first. I got my fella for about 600 (4 yrs ago)but I know he got up to a grand for a few pups from litter. One of the main things with German Shepards is the hips so be sure of that also I have receintly discovered that they can suffer with their eyes from the age of 3 onwards and its a chronic condition. I can't remember the medical term but the eye basically gets whats like ulsers on the outside which can only be managed with steriod cream daily. This is chronic and can possibly lead to blindness in later years. This condition is mostly common on long haired GS but don't understand why, maybe somebody can inform me. Having said that the dog is fantastic and absolutly brilliant with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Chewy
    Chewy is a Labrador/Boxer, 9mths old neutered male, house trained and bursting with affection for one and all. A beautiful boy.

This is a dog in inishtoige puppy rescue, hes gorgeous and I would love to take him myself but Ive been told ive enough on with a 5 mth old pup and an 8 mth old baby so himself has put the foot down but hes really is lovely. Big black guy with boxer face. Worth a look, they have a website http://www.inistiogepuppyrescue.com/adopt.php

edited as i just noticed on same site perfect dog for you

Rebel is a German Shepherd/Husky, 10/12mths, male and very friendly. A bit on the thin side but that won't take long to cure. He is a really handsome fellow. Neutered.
    user posted image

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Ellgy from the above site is lovely lookin.if i didn't have my hands full already:(
    same kind of head as my setter.

Advertisement