Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low water pressure at night?

Options
  • 25-04-2007 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering if its normal for a house (in Dublin) to have low water pressure late at night (I think from about 12am) for some hours. It seems about half as much as normal. This happens every night, it can't be because of demand obviously. I'm pretty sure that this practice is contributing to the sediment problem we and some of my neighbours have, i.e. there not being enough flow in the mains at these times to clear it through. Is this pressure drop normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I do remember reading that the corpo were reducing pressure to reduce the loss-rate. I can't remember when, where or for how long. Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FrinkDink wrote:
    Hi,

I'm just wondering if its normal for a house (in Dublin) to have low water pressure late at night (I think from about 12am) for some hours. It seems about half as much as normal. This happens every night, it can't be because of demand obviously. I'm pretty sure that this practice is contributing to the sediment problem we and some of my neighbours have, i.e. there not being enough flow in the mains at these times to clear it through. Is this pressure drop normal?

if you contact them they will send someone out to check it out (probably not at 2am though :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭FrinkDink

Guess I'll do that, although it can't be something unique to my house. I wish they would keep the pressure at the same level all the time though to stop this sediment from being a problem. I suppose the reason they're doing it is so they can say that less water is lost through mains leakage in the county...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

As an aside to your problem. Reducing the water pressure and turning off the water at night is what they do in third world countries when they don't have the money to build and maintain a proper water system.

There's no votes in Ireland in water. But what they are doing here can be serious - when you cut the water pressure you're inviting serious problems. Often the water pipes are in close proximity to sewer pipes which are also leaking (if not maintained).
    The water pressure usually keeps out the sewage etc. --- need I say anymore.
    Suffice to say this is one of the reasons there's lots of diseases in third world countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Reyman wrote:
    Suffice to say this is one of the reasons there's lots of diseases in third world countries

Never thought of water pressure as a way of reducing bacteria ,cool;)

• Advertisement

Reyman wrote:
    As an aside to your problem. Reducing the water pressure and turning off the water at night is what they do in third world countries when they don't have the money to build and maintain a proper water system.

There's no votes in Ireland in water. But what they are doing here can be serious - when you cut the water pressure you're inviting serious problems. Often the water pipes are in close proximity to sewer pipes which are also leaking (if not maintained).

Uh oh.... that really doesn't sound good. Is there anything that can be done about this? I knew that something wasn't right about the pressure drop. As I said above, I don't think one phone call from me will achieve anything. Has anyone else noticed this, or might it be restricted to certain small areas? I have to constantly ask the council to flush our mains, as the water gets dirty so much, and this must be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Can you post your location in Dublin? Might help to identify the issue.

10-10-20 wrote:
    Can you post your location in Dublin? Might help to identify the issue.

I live in Killiney in the Watson Estate near Cabinteely and Ballybrack...

Advertisement