Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a K8N - possible problem with HSF.

Options
  • 25-04-2007 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I'm upgrading my self-build, present specs as my signature.

I bought an expensive AMD S939 Opteron, a 2.4ghz dual core. Which I intend to overclock, have my eye on the 2.8-3Ghz range.

I also bought a Thermaltake Blue Orb 2 CPU HSF. It claims K8 compatibility, but I'm not sure using it would be a good idea.

When I got a look at the HSF, I saw that it has a round copper base. The main body of the base is 5CM in diameter, but it tapers off to the bottom and the part of the base that contacts the CPU has a diameter of 4.4mm only.

The processor is square (obviously, although with rounded edges) and measured diagonally, is approximately 4.9mm.

This presents me with some concern because if I used the CPU with that HSF, a few square millimeters on each corner of the CPU will in theory be exposed to plain air.

To really confound my confusion, I found that the HSF included in the box with the CPU is of a much higher quality than the cheap-looking all-aluminium thing that came with my San Diego.

I would like to use the Blue Orb obviously because I'd like to get a stronger, quieter cool with the blue LED light, but I don't know if it's a good idea.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The metal cap on the CPU is actually a heat spreader, the CPU core is actually within the centre of it so it doesn't matter if the edges are exposed to a certain degree.

So you can use the Blue Orb cooler without worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thanks 8T8, set it all up, working perfect now :)

Advertisement