Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advanced Driving / Riding

Options
  • 25-04-2007 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Just a couple of questions about advanced training.

How many here have had advanced driving or riding training or hold an advanced qualification?

What do you think of advanced training?

Has anyone read RoadCraft?

The reason I am asking is a group I am involved with had a 4 four theory session with a guy called Grant Goodings on Friday night. He is the chief motorcycle instructor for Thames Valley Police, an advanced driving instructor for the same, he trained the guys that deliver Bikesafe, the Chief Examiner for RoSPA in the UK, one of 11 people in the UK that can teach the RoSPA Diploma and a multiple Manx TT winner. Basically he is a pretty good rider and driver.

When actually listening to this guy talk it became quite clear to me that it is a whole different level. I ride on a regular basis with IAM and I have learned a lot. This session was very informative and really brought home to me the difference between "normal" driving and advanced driving.

What does anyone else think?

MrP

PS. As a group we spent about 20 minutes talking about overtaking multiple cars. Very interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have RoadCraft, and I've spent some time with IRTA getting tutored - it definately improves your riding - I'm much smoother now on brakes and gears, yet make better progress.

I want to do RoSPA, but only being able to do it in Dublin is a total disservice, really. There is more to life than BAC.............

I have the IAM on the car - and it's worth 30% on the car insurance..........and again, I've picked up good tips there too, and consider myself better than before.

Where'd you attend these talks - UK?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've passed the provisional and full license ignition tests but I'm sure there's still lots of room for improvement.

Can I ask what group you are involved with?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Yeah, the talk was in the UK in the Thames Valley Poice driving school.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I passed an advanced driving test a few years back. I found preparing for the test really improved my driving by forcing me out of my bad habits. I should really go back and do it again to see where I've slipped back into them.

I didn't take any lessons before doing the test because I had done the Hibernian Ignition course a year before. I found that to be a great course. You'd be surprised how many of the people on the course really needed it. There was two people on it who thought they were safer without a seatbelt including one girl who had been in two accidents already where she was thrown clear of the car. There was also several people who had gone miles out of their way to avoid the magic roundabout on their way to an advanced driving course.

The course itself started with a classroom session which included a video of typical hazards followed by a Q&A on how many you spotted. It was followed in the afternoon by an in-car session. You take the wheel of the instructor's dual-control car for about a half-hour. After that, he comments on what you did wrong before taking the wheel himself and demonstrating "commentary driving". In commentary driving you talk out loud about what you are doing and what hazards you observe on the road. Something like :

"I'm turning right at the crossroads ahead so I check my mirrors to make sure there's nobody tail-gating me. I'm putting on my right indicator and slowing down slightly so I reach the junction just after that grey car has cleared it. There's no pedestrians waiting to cross. There's nothing coming from the right or straight ahead. Look left as I enter the junction and make my right turn....."

You take the wheel again and are asked to do commentary driving which is well weird the first time you try it. Afterwards you've given demonstration and corrections on what you're still doing wrong, before taking the wheel for a brief test.

I didn't take any lessons when I did the separate advanced driving test to become an IAM member mainly because of the cost, but I felt the free Ignition course prepared me for it. The cost is also putting me off doing an avanced motorcycle course. Advanced driving courses increase your ability and safety on the road. They should be compulsory and accessable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The cost is also putting me off doing an avanced motorcycle course. Advanced driving courses increase your ability and safety on the road. They should be compulsory and accessable.

I suppose I am quite lucky working over here. My IAM group has a policy that the associate pays the observer £6 per session to cover costs. My observer, like a lot of them, won't take the money. I buys the coffees for the debrief and he is happy with that. I am out with him once for 3 hours, and hoping to start a second night as well.

There must be IAM or RoSPA groups in Ireland that work the same way. If not someone should start one. I agree that this kind of training should be open and available to everyone, it is far too valuable, IMO, for people to not be able to do because of cost.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You're right, the IAM I did was much the same way. IRTA similar. But you have to do the RoSPA in Dublin, which is v.v. annoying.

Also, RoSPA very poor at responding to email enquiries. Eventually got forms for my bike test..........but they sent car forms, gave up...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

galwaytt wrote:
    Also, RoSPA very poor at responding to email enquiries. Eventually got forms for my bike test..........but they sent car forms, gave up...........
    Any time I emailed them they responded very promptly. Generally the next day but that was acceptable.

I emailed them quite recently asking about such groups in Ireland, and they replied that there were none, but they would be very happy if I or anyone were to set one up.

If there is sufficient interest in setting up a group like MrP is talking about from anyone here, perhaps PM me and we can start discussions.
    Mr.P, might need your input too, on what is involved.

I will put something up on the Biker sites too to see what interest there is.

L.

Advertisement